Thread: Would you go????

Question Would you go????

I got an invite to "run" the Yukon Quest via truck from checkpoint to checkpoint. My responsibility would be to set up camp and help the handler stake and babysit the dogs if need be.

I am all for it and I think it would be an awesome experience, but...you knew there was a but...I would have to take two weeks without pay to make it happen. The pay part would hurt a lot right now, but what really makes me cringe is returning to school after a sub had been in my shop for two weeks! I have got to have a really good reason to take even a day off of school...I can't even imagine how I would create lesson plans for two weeks!

Has anyone ever partook in an event like this? What would you do?

I really need to make a decision soon.

I did last year for the Yukon Quest 300 and am handling for the whole thing this year. Thankfully I will have enough vacation time and personal leave saved up that my check will only be a few hours short. I of course think you should do it. It's a great experience, one that can't be had anywhere else. So who are you handling for? Brent? I'm handling for Wayne Hall. You can read my trip report of the experience here:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Thumbs up Very Nice Georganne!

Looks like you had quite an adventure! Very tempting indeed. The few folks I've talked to who have done this say it proves to be a very exhausting experience, but worth it. Most say the only time you sleep in while traveling, but I would have a hard time keeping my eyes peeled away from the scenery (during the day of course).

Just visiting new places and meeting new people might be worth it.

It can be exhausting, yes. You have to wait at the last check point for an hour or so after your musher leaves to make sure he doesn't need to turn around and come back then get to the next one before he does. But yes, the experience and camaraderie is something that you will never forget. And you do have a lot of time just waiting around so there is time to sleep.

Default Yukon Quest

It is challenging to be away from work for two weeks plus. If you're like me you will have twice the work waiting when you return. Such is the price we pay for adventure.

I'll be working the race as trail veterinarian. This will be my first Quest but I've worked multiple Iditarods and other races, (as a veterinarian, not a musher). I have seen that vacant look in too many musher's eyes to consider such an exercise in sleep deprivation myself.

Good Luck, Hope to see you there.

DrB

Oh DrB how exciting to have you here. Do you know which check points you are going to be at? I'll stop by and say hi if possible.

In order to try to sway your decision I am willing to offer you One acme rep point if you go

Unhappy Well...I just found out what it will cost me to do this trip...

I'm looking at $262 per day I'd have to give up. That is about $2600 bones! Pun intended. Plus the expenses! Ouch!!! I thought it might cost me like $90 a day...that's what they pay the sub????

Well, I really think this is going to be the year for Brent and I really want to be there for him. But...I think I might need a little more enticing before I can make a decision on this one.

o.k. theres one I think in a month I can give you another

Ouch. That is steep. You don't have vacation or personal days to help ease the blow? Yes, that would make it much more difficult to go especially if you had to pay your own expenses. Start saving your pennies for next year though. That boy is going to be on top of the world soon!

Have you decided?

Quote Originally Posted by BucknRut View Post
    I got an invite to "run" the Yukon Quest via truck from checkpoint to checkpoint. My responsibility would be to set up camp and help the handler stake and babysit the dogs if need be.

I am all for it and I think it would be an awesome experience, but...you knew there was a but...I would have to take two weeks without pay to make it happen. The pay part would hurt a lot right now, but what really makes me cringe is returning to school after a sub had been in my shop for two weeks! I have got to have a really good reason to take even a day off of school...I can't even imagine how I would create lesson plans for two weeks!

Has anyone ever partook in an event like this? What would you do?

I really need to make a decision soon.
    BuckNRut,
    I think that this would be such a great opportunity for you to do something like this. I believe these things only come once in a lifetime and what an educational tool for your students as well.
    You can create lesson plans for two weeks. Easy. I'd offer my time to help you out!
    Josh. Serious. I'd do it if I were you because you will never have to look back on it and say to yourself, "I wished I would have, but I hesitated because of the pay or because I had to make 2 weeks of lesson plans in advanced."

1stimestar... thanks for suggesting that I come over and visit on the dog mushing boards!!!
    Lurker.

Mark

I did a one nighter on the Knik 200 once. It was a single night of babysitting the dogs out at Yentna Station while the musher slept.

It wasn't anything to write home to Mama about. It was just doing a friend a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I did a one nighter on the Knik 200 once. It was a single night of babysitting the dogs out at Yentna Station while the musher slept.

It wasn't anything to write home to Mama about. It was just doing a friend a favor.

Yea, that part isn't too much fun. We only had to do that at the first checkpoint because one of our dogs went into heat and there were still so many teams all bunched up together that we wanted to be sure nothing happened. Of course, that happened to be the coldest night of the whole trip. We just took it in half an hour ****s. And the lights were out a bit to amuse us.

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post
    It is challenging to be away from work for two weeks plus. If you're like me you will have twice the work waiting when you return. Such is the price we pay for adventure.

I'll be working the race as trail veterinarian. This will be my first Quest but I've worked multiple Iditarods and other races, (as a veterinarian, not a musher). I have seen that vacant look in too many musher's eyes to consider such an exercise in sleep deprivation myself.

Good Luck, Hope to see you there.

DrB
    So were you out there? I was looking for a "Dr. B."

Only way I could even think of that, would if I was able to take my DSLR and stop at every singe point of "MY" interest. lol Guess thats why nobody asked me to go.
    I give thanks to the vetrans, as they have aided in my priviledge to hunt and fish the great State of AK. and alow me to sleep safely at night.