Thread: Stinger Hook Advise?

Default Stinger Hook Advise?

I'm trying to figure out how to add a stiner hook to my Clousers. Does anyone have any advise, or good websites that explain how this is done?

Thanks!

easy way:
    Tie stringer patterns on a tube

hard way
    -put front hook in vice
    -Make base a thread
    -tie on some spider wire or other stiff braid maybe 50# test or so with a loop coming off the tail as far back as you want your hook with a tag end about as long as the back of the hook
    -cover with thread
    -coat wraps with super glue
    -fold tag back over the thread
    -cover tag with more thread
    -let dry
    -tie fly as usual
    -clip front hook
    -put stringer loop through eye of stringer hook and then put the hook through the loop to secure it

-note use normal dacron backing for articulated patterns, tubs don't help with good articulation...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Loops don't tangle...

Good clear instructions above by Ak Powder Monkey.
    I haven't tried the tube technique, but find myself tying more articulated leeches each year so still using the hard way.

Spiderwire Stealth cinches down small and tight. I start by running it through the eye of the front hook, then a series of half-hitch wraps down the shank. After extending a loop back, I come back to the front hook with a few more half-hitch wraps for a very strong base. The rest is the just like APM's description including super glue application.

I use separate scissors for cutting the Kevlar braids to avoid dulling my good scissors. I don't loop on the stinger hook until later - keeps the flies from tangling so much.

The tube technique might be worth checking out. Tying articulated takes much longer at least using the hard way method. Good luck.

yea tubes are sweet for flies like dollie lammas but not so sweet for sex dungeons or articulated leaches because the back hook doesn't wiggle at all. Clouser tubes are sweet, you just gotta remember to use junction tubing to keep the hook point riding up
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.