Thread: Base Layer

Default Base Layer

I am planning on a Caribou hunt next September and I am beginning to gather my gear for the trip. My question as you can tell by the title is about base layers. I live in southeast Texas and we think it is cold when the temp is in the 50's. What is a good brand /material for my base layer and even possibly my other layers. I appreciate any suggestions.

While somewhat controversial due to their political/social stances, I am a fan of Patagonia base layers. A little spendy compared to others, but their fit and comfort are great. I usually wear Capilene 2 under Cabelas Micortex pants, with fleece bibs over that for colder weather. This week I added a second base layer of Wool 2 in between the Capilene and my pants in lieu of wearing bibs and it worked great. Of course you need loose fitting pants for this to work.

Brent

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Under Armor

Depending on your body type, I would recommend the under armor cold gear that is tight fitting. I wear it as my base layer and it keeps me warm and wicks moisture well. The best part about it is that it isn't bulky at all.

Default Under Armour

Hands down, Under Armour Gear is some of the best you can buy. I Wear it for all layers head to toe. I love the base layer, as it keeps you dry. The socks are great too.

Default polypropylene base layer for most applications...

For active applications, nothing seems to perform as well as polypropylene though certain companies seem to do it better. Like Brent, I've found Patagonia's Capilene performs very well in active/cold conditions and season after season is the best wicking functional base layer for me overall. Simms also works well for me - I wouldn't hesitate to buy their stuff, but it seems less often on sale at season-end sale time.

If it's really cold, or I'm less active though, consider merino base layers like Smart Wool or others. Merino is very warm. I started buying it for wet/cold steelhead conditions. For those conditions, with long periods without hiking, it's performed well. End of season discounts are widely available from online merchants, many mentioned in the gear threads on this website. For a hunt like you've planned, merino base might be good "emergency clothing" reserved for complete change if you get wet somehow. Good luck on your hunt.

I wear Under Armour Heat Gear loose fitting t-shirt and Under Armour boxer briefs year round underneath Cabelas Microtex. I use fleece under a wind proof shell for insulation. If it gets too cold for just fleece then I add SmartWool long underwear (medium weight) over the UA. I think this is the most versatile layering system out there because with five layers you can tailor what you wear to the changing conditions you are likely to face on your caribou hunt. None of these layers are heavy or bulky and will pack easily if you have to move your camp around or want to carry one of the layers in a day pack.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I've passed all my Under Armour and poly-pro off to my son. Merino wool is my new best friend.

I picked up a light-weight set of 100% polyester thermals at Sam's Club for $ 9.00 per piece.

Works the same and same material as over-rated and over-priced Under Armor.
    Now what ?

the patagonia capiline stuff is good, but if you have some extra $ look at merino wool products from different manufacturers. will keep you nice and warm when wet with sweat, and won't stink anywhere near as much as polypro. which is a nice thing on a multi-day trip.

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    I picked up a light-weight set of 100% polyester thermals at Sam's Club for $ 9.00 per piece.

Works the same and same material as over-rated and over-priced Under Armor.
    $8 dollar walmart "dri-more" t's are the base layer for me. I also use expensive merino wool if I am just going to be sitting but those days are rare.
    I have a Thin poly fleece pullover that I got for $15 from walmart which serves as layer 2 most of the time. Then a $12 fleece vest and a military issue PolyPro pullover that get worn individually or together as a mid or outer layer. The last things are a compressible jacket for the freak cold weather and some kind of a rain shell. The shell I use is a Marmot precip for interior mountains where weight is a big issue. I use my Helly Hansen Impertech gear for hunts where weight is not a huge issue or if I was going on a coastal hunt where driving hard rain is the norm.

After you spend a fortune on gear that isn't worth a darn it sure is fun to find great stuff at a bargain that really works. I think it was Snyd that has been using military dress pants that are a wool/poly blend. They are great and he picked em up for pennies!