Thread: Scope choice before rifle?

Default Scope choice before rifle?

My wife is currently on a quest to purchase a rifle and scope. She is still looking at rifles to find a best fit, but learned yesterday that Cabelas is having a sale on Leupold scopes. We're wondering if there are any potential pitfalls in buying a scope before one has the rifle it is to go on.

The scopes we're most interested in are the Leupold VX-III 2.5x8-36 or the 3.5x10-40 in matte finish with a duplex reticule. The rifle will most likely be a compact/youth version in 7mm-08, possibly .270 Win or .308 Win. We've been told to get the best scope that we can afford. She used a Leupold VariX II 3x9-40 on a hunt a few weeks ago w/borrowed .308 Win and liked it very much. We're in the Interior if that is of any matter.

Thanks in advance for any comments and opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by scootur View Post
    We're wondering if there are any potential pitfalls in buying a scope before one has the rifle it is to go on.
    Both the scopes you mentioned are great scopes, the 2.5-8 has more eye relief than the 3.5-10. I can think of no pitfall to buying a scope before the gun, just remember.....your gonna need the gun!...grin

Simplicity is a virtue - you're not giving up much (if anything) in the way of practical performance if you go with a fixed 4x Leupold. That's a tough, light scope with a great view. Excellent match for a lightweight rifle.

I put a Leupold FX-II 4x-33 on my Tikka T3 Lite. The scope is powerful enough that I can see to hit what I'm aiming at at practical distances and the size and weight was small and light enough to where it didn't affect the weight or balance of the rifle.

I think that 2.5x8-36 would be just dandy for a yoot sized rifle. The ojective is small enough to mount low and it shouldn't noticibly upset the weight or balance of the rifle
    Now what ?

In my opinion get her the 2.5-8. May be my favorite all around scope. Good field of view on low power for close range use, more than enough magnification for long shots on big game and the price in cabela's for vxIII's right now is the best I've seen for new ones in years. The eye relief on the 2.5-8 will make it easier on her too especially if she has not shot scoped rifles much.

One more for the 2x8 or the 4x fixed like Vek mentioned

2.5-8x 36 will look better on a smaller rifle too. I have a Vari-X III that size, perfect on my Win Featherweight 7x57.

Default Fixed 4x

Several of my rifles wear fixed 4x scopes. I like the Leupolds but have switched to the Nikon Monarch series for IMO much better glass. I have taken several caribou, one at a paced 400yds, and never felt I needed more power.
    If you crank up the power to 8x or 10x and forget to put it back down you can miss a close shot. They are all good scopes, it's just personal preference. I like fixed but my wife likes the variables so let her choose.

Ed

I sure agree with the comments on the fixed 4x, and the 2.5-8x, both are favorites of mine.

My son was 8 when I got him a Ruger M77 compact in .243 and he has used it successfully every year with the fixed 4x Leupold on varmints and deer. He is 14 now and still likes that scope. It should have no problem fitting anything you might want to put it on.

The 2.5-8x is a great choice also, and it will fit well also on the small rifles. I used one on a Kimber 84 and it fit like a glove on the small, light rifle.

I will tell you how much I like the 2.5-8x Leupold-- I've been pondering what gun I could sell so I could buy another one so they can be on my two favorite go to rifles! I'll have to check out that Cabelas sale.....

All you mentioned are great choices, it boils down to your wife and what her likes are and capabilities are. For most women, and men if they would admit it, the fixed 4x is the best choice for most uses. The fixed 4x can never "accidentally" be left on 8 or 9x and cause the shooter to not be able to locate the animal due to limited field of view when the adrenaline is rushing.

Out of your calibers mentioned my vote would go for the 7mm-08. I've used it a good bit the last couple of years in light rifles and it is amazingly efficient and great to handload for. Even if you don't hand load, the Hornady light mag factory loads knocks on the door of 270 Win for speed if using a 22" or longer barrel.

Thumbs up the 2.5 x 8..........

If I had a million dollars in my checking account the Leupold VXIII 2.5 x 8 scope would be setting on my main Alaskan hunting rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    If I had a million dollars in my checking account the Leupold VXIII 2.5 x 8 scope would be setting on my main Alaskan hunting rifle.
    Or maybe $325....