Thread: buying elk or bison...

Question buying elk or bison...

my sis and bro-in-law just got their bloodwork back from the health fair and the ol' cholesterol count was not acceptable.
    anybody know where they could buy an elk or side of bison?
    they canceled their beef order....
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Delta meat co...link here

also there is a guy in manly with free range bison.. he delivered a half to my neighbor few weeks back. i can get a number if you like.. also a friend of mine has bison.. on Eielson Farm road up here i can get a number there as well. you will probably have to buy the ENTIRE bison from the last two though.. i think delta is only place to get sides...

good luck.. Pm me if you need numbers

Vince
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

There is a guy in Delta that sells Yak meat for $3/lb. According to the farmer, the Yak is better tasting and just as healthy as bison. We meant to grab a few packages before leaving town, but flat out forgot. I can track down his number if you're interested.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    There is a guy in Delta that sells Yak meat for $3/lb. According to the farmer, the Yak is better tasting and just as healthy as bison. We meant to grab a few packages before leaving town, but flat out forgot. I can track down his number if you're interested.
    yak farm up chena hot springs road too... not sure if they sell any though... but i have to ask...

does yak really taste like YAK!?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Hi Dave
    Did you check with the elk farm out on the Noth Fork? If need be i might be able to get the guy's name for you.
    Take care of the earth. It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children.

Default I won't

I won't recommend that anyone buys elk meat from an elk farm......I personally am against elk farms....it is best to get them the ole fashioned way - with an arrow!

Have them sign up for the alaska roadkill. O - and quit eatin the butter sticks LOL.

ah..well...
    they bailed, gonna eat beef anyway.
    they already got on the roadkill list.

Does anybody have a link that shows a comparison of bison meat to beef for healthiness etc.?

try googling "bison meat beef" or something similar.
    you will get thousands of hits.

For what it's worth, the guy with the Yak farm in Delta is Dick Carr. I'm not sure of his phone # yet, but I'm sure it can be found easily enough.

My son came up with a beef allergy awhile back, so we've been eating buffalo for burger in dishes. We get ground burger at Mr. Prime Beef here in Anchorage. They've told us it is pure buffalo. $5/pound though. Maybe I'll look into a side from Delta.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Here is a link to the guy in manley. these are all free range is my understanding.. Eden lake.

meet on face book here

Where can I find a list of all the farms and ranches in Alaska that raise exotic animals for the meat markets? Thanks

Superbear in Juneau sells both buffalo and elk meat. They might turn you onto their suppliers.

Bull, I'd prefer wild meat too, but no elk found in Juneau. So, I buy quite a bit of the farmed product because even though it is subpar to wild, it is better than beef (which I also like) to my taste buds.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-