Thread: Ptarmigan Spot

Default Ptarmigan Spot

Well have been looking for a ptarmigan area in the chugach, Went out on Wednesday on my second scouting run. This time got back into my new valley and started to see some fresh trails across the mountain in a small gulley, hoofed it up there and searched around and found zero birds but some real fresh sign. I start to hike back due to fog moving in on the mountain and snow was unstable and didn't want to risk an avalanche, lot of cracking in top layer and huge slabs wooping underneath me. I started to pack up to head down when out of the fog 8-12 ptarmigan fly past me, out of the fog and back into it. I spent some time looking for them and had no luck. Really wish I would have brought the shotgun instead of the .22 because I could have got them on the wing with the shotty. But at least I know there are some birds up there. I'll have to give it a try again next weekend.

Jake

you don't mind me asking what were the aspects and elevations you were seeing shooting cracks etc? What were the winds doing? Also were you in chugach state park? Just like to stay on top of what the snowpack is doing...

Thanks...

P.S. Beacon shovel and probe, you should have one in the mountains
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Patrick - For what it's worth, a friend of mine was involved in a moderate slide last Monday up in South Fork. You can read about it near the bottom of the current Chugach Forest Service avy forecast.

I was at about 2500 feet or so, winds were blowing from the south, but was creating a real hard crust that was a bout 2inches thick on top, I was on about a 25 degree slope or so, there wern't many large trees around just alders, didn't look like many slides were in the area due to the number of small hemlocks around and stuff, they were thick and gnarled trees. They had definetly been there for a while, but being by myself and it being only for some birds I wasn't going to risk it.

thanks for the info always a good idea to have avy knowledge and gear (beacon shovel probe partner) when hunting the local mountains once the snow hits... The western chugach is sketchy... Especially right now with all the snow.

Remember you can remotely trigger avalanches from a valley bottom! Stay out from under avalanche terrain (slopes greater than 25)! your life is not worth a few alder bud tasting birds.

That being said I better wax up the skis for Avalanche control work at arcic valley saturday

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    That being said I better wax up the skis for Avalanche control work at arcic valley saturday
    Are you working alongside Andy this year?

Not still in school in Juneau?

I'm in Anchorage till january then its back to Juneau for the sprin, don't tell Andy I'm heading up saturday its a vast conspiracy....