Thread: Prohibitive Ammo Taxes

Default Prohibitive Ammo Taxes

Alaskans are wired a specific way. We don't like taxes. We don't like lines. We like open spaces. We do our own thing. We generally do not follow the herds. (dipnetters and RR red salmon fishers notwithstanding)

However, it has come to my attention that several states are working to enact a 6 cent per shell ammunition tax. This is happening in many of the more urban states. Such an Idea has a number of people who are in the know buying lots of ammo.

We are not just talking boxes but cases and cases. This tax is extremely prohibitive for those entering the sport. Rather than trying to stop the hunters and shooters who are older the gun control prop machine seeks to bar or prohibit new shooters and plinkers. This would be a $30.00 per brick(500 rounds) tax on 22lr ammo.

This will drive lots of people to reload. However, it is hard to reload 22lr.
    Thus there is a major run on all 22lr.

I know that I am also contributing to the mad rush but I feel that if the information is out there we can take steps to mobilize and talk our gov. The only open pro gun gov out there to take several steps to prohibit ammo taxes and to continue our policies. I wouldn't mind Sarah making full auto weapons legal as in Nevada. I know that you can own them with Class III transfer but I know that several Western states are working to make sure that their constitutions prohibit any gun control mandates(AZ).

Sincerely,

Thomas

I wouldn't mind Sarah making full auto weapons legal as in Nevada. I know that you can own them with Class III transfer but I know that several Western states are working to make sure that their constitutions prohibit any gun control mandates(AZ).
    In no state are Class III weapons legal unless properly registered with the Feds.

Guess what? You can own automatic weapons in Alaska, just like in Nevada. Get a Class III FFL and about $5000+.

Is this what you are referring to re: ammo tax?

Ammo Confiscation
    (*Many* Americans are scared-to-death at what's coming....)

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states (including Illinois and Indiana)
    requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacturer in a data
    base of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what
    calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the
    ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1,
    2011.(Including hand loaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on
    every round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona,
    California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland,
    Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
    South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

To find more about the anti-gun group that is sponsoring this legislation
    and the specific legislation for each state, go to:
    http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

Maybe the Bill that you read says $0.05 per round but the Bill for NY says $0.005.

4. THE COST OF MAINTAINING THE DATABASE SHALL BE FUNDED BY THE AMMUNITION CODING SYSTEM DATABASE FUND ESTABLISHED PURSUANT TO SECTION NINETY-ONE-H OF THE STATE FINANCE LAW. VENDORS SHALL CHARGE AN ADDITIONAL $.005 PER BULLET OR ROUND OF AMMUNITION TO THE PURCHASER. SUCH MONEYS SHALL BE DEPOSITED INTO THE FUND.

Either way Its BS!!! they will stop at nothing to strip us of our 2nd!!!
    Josh
    Back in Afghanistan, I hope for the last time.

Long time reader of this great forum, had to join so I could post on this one.

Whatever fee the government adds for this stupid program, the real costs will come in the manufacturer's having to not only to put in the machinery to mark the cartridges, but also the record keeping requirements, along with having to respond to requests from police agencies for registration information. Many agencies, (especially the ones with anti gun Mayors), currently do traces on every firearm they encounter, even those not used in crimes, (which is most of the guns they deal with). I have no doubt they'll do the same with every cartridge case they find. Manufacturers, distributors, and dealers, will be going crazy trying to respond to all the needless requests, which is really the intent of the law.

Recently, here in California, they had some hearings on this legislation. The proponents of it claimed it would add about .50 a box to the cost at a retail level, as that's what the inventor of the system told them, (big surprise....) The manufacturers came out and testified it would add far more than that to every box, and they're not sure how effective the machinery being proposed for this system would be anyway.

To what end? The reason the feds scrapped the record keeping for ammunition years ago, was because even in their own words, it was rarely helpful in solving any crimes. I would expect this will be no different, but just as in many other gun laws, that's not the reason the anti's are in favor of it. Anything that costs shooters more, or increases the hassle factor is good in their eyes.

If this takes hold in California, Illinois, etc., it will end up being adopted everywhere, mark my words. The Obama administration will be all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by shphtr View Post
    Is this what you are referring to re: ammo tax?

Ammo Confiscation
    (*Many* Americans are scared-to-death at what's coming....)

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states (including Illinois and Indiana)
    requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacturer in a data
    base of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what
    calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the
    ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1,
    2011.(Including hand loaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on
    every round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more!

If they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

This legislation is currently pending in 18 states: Alabama, Arizona,
    California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland,
    Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
    South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

To find more about the anti-gun group that is sponsoring this legislation
    and the specific legislation for each state, go to:
    http://ammunitionaccountability.org/Legislation.htm

I thought that got killed in several states?

Mark

Default Rumor of Another Ammo Threat........

I heard today from a person employed by the Feds in the area of environmental compliance that there is a move afoot to expand the non-toxic shot ban for waterfowl to include all fired projectiles on all federal lands. That means no lead bullets on federal land.

Watch for this one..............

The ammo encoding bill in Alabama was tabled in committee. Would have to be reintroduced again. We do have a fairly conservative state. We have two Republican senators and I have a Republican represenative. Republicans control our county government and we have a Republican governor who is on his second term. We have concealed carry law and a castle law allowing you to shoot intruders on your property.

Quote Originally Posted by North Polar View Post
    I thought that got killed in several states?

It did. let's hope they all do. There is a similar thread in the reloading forum, btw.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!