Thread: need to get my brother in law a starter gun

Thumbs up need to get my brother in law a starter gun

Well In my wifes family we draw names for christmas presents. I got my brother in law this year.

Id like to get him interested in shooting and guns and thought maybe Id get him a gun this year.

He is 21 so I got alot of choices.

Im thinking maybe some sort of swithchbarrel? Maybe a NEF, cant really afford an encore for him at the moment. Or since he lives in wassilla maybe a pump action shotgun with slug and shot barrels?

oh and Id be interested in buying used if anyone has something

Why not look at the savage/stevens line-up. Easy to switch bbls. All you need is a bbl nut wrench and gauges, in roughly 10 minutes, you can have a different caliber.

Default Couple years ago

I bought my brother and his wife matching Benelli Super Nova 12ga with 3 1/2" chamber! They live in the valley and were getting into skeet shooting at the falcon ridge or something. Not sure how much they use them but went shooting with them once and his wife loved the gun. I sold my nova and got a new super nova, freakin sweet man. Has some features no other shotguns have I believe. Just nice, classy looking in all black. Of course I got the camo version. Or the NEF will be a good choice.

I think you are on the right tract and both set-ups are good starters. Of course then you have to take him out to use them.There is no end to what you can do with the H&R and they are alot of gun for the money

Default First, What does HE like?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Well In my wifes family we draw names for christmas presents. I got my brother in law this year.

Id like to get him interested in shooting and guns and thought maybe Id get him a gun this year.

He is 21 so I got alot of choices.
    Merry Christmas. (Great idea, by the way. Bond with the family AND increase the -voting- population lf firearms enthusiasts)

First find out what HE would like. Nothing is so disappointing to the recipient of a gift as getting the GIVER's heart's desire.

Have you taken this young man shooting before? (Along with the gun comes a bit of obligation on your part to see to it that he gets proper (safety at least) training.

Has he expressed an interest in the shooting sports? If so, what aspect?

What's his living situation? Is it amenable to keeping a firearm around or will he have to store it somewhere? Does he have enough room for a long gun and its accessories?

I think, if the REAL gift is to spend some time with the young man, then an introduction to your favorite sport would be appreciated. As with small children, no time spent tossing a ball, fingerpainting or whatever is wasted, as it establishes a bond that will be there when the child grows to adulthood. Likewise, time spent introducing a young adult into the shooting sports is not wasted. It establishes a bond between you and your in-law(s) and also mentors a new shooter into our nation's voter base (which we need in these political times).

If you haven't already, find an excuse to take him shooting and see what he likes.

If you feel comfortable, you might let us know what his other interests are. If he is mechanically inclined I might infer that he would not be daunted by semi-autos and a Ruger Mk II or Mk III .22 pistol might be nice, otherwise an SP101 in .22 or a single-six. Get the idea?

If he is a musician, a REALLY good set of hearing protectors might be nice, then let him borrow some of your guns until he finds one that suits him. Then he can go shopping himself.

If you don't feel comfortable talking about his personality on the 'net, ask his girlfriend, his father, mother or best friend sub-rosa what THEY think he would like. ALWAYS ask your wife's advice on ANYTHING.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Good advice there lost sheep. Was thinking the same thing today. I called him up and invited him ptarmigan hunting tommorow. I guess he already has a 22 and a 20 guage.

I think more than anything he just needs someone to show him around a bit.

Can I be your bro-in-law Matt????
    You are a generous guy. If you consider getting him a centerfire rifle, I'd agree with Blink's suggestion.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Can I be your bro-in-law Matt????
    You are a generous guy. If you consider getting him a centerfire rifle, I'd agree with Blink's suggestion.

Oh I have my alterior motives! He has some potential of being a good packer! And, as most know its hard to find a good hunting partner. Also family get togethers get a little dry for me at times with nothing in common with any of the inlaws.

I really like the kid, and hes starting to outgrow alot of the teenager stuff I think, so now is a good time to see if I can broaden his horizons beyond loud stereos and lifted trucks.

I did tell the wife my plan though and she said that was probably more than we can afford this year for him, so Ill take him hunting and maybe just outfit him a little at a time.

Now Im thinking maybe Ill get him some snowshoes or a pack.

The pack sounds like a good idea to me :-)
    Those alterior motives again...
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Browning Buckmark .22

I would have to second the Buckmark, or other suitable .22 pistol. Relatively inexpensive firearm, cheap to shoot lots, fun for him and his wife to shoot, suitable to hunt any small game, and a great starter pistol to get him hooked on shooting! (get him hooked on shooting, then all you have to do is whisper in his ear on the next gun he should buy, and let the dominoes fall!)

Hit the pawn shops before you throw out the first idea.

Default Knight KP1

Never seen one of these yet. Only on commercials during hunting shows. Basically a knock of the TC. Same set up though, muzzle loader to rifles to shotgun barrels.

I was thinking the same thing about the KP1. I tried locating a dealer through Knights website and apparently there are none up here.

Last year I even ordered the brochure on this gun. It looks great, cheaper than a t/c and handles rimfire!