Thread: Mount Susitna?

Default Mount Susitna?

I am interested in riding near or on Mount Susitna sometime this winter. The closest I have been in the past is the Yentna-Big Su junction. Any experiences/recommendations/pics?
    Thanks.

Default Sleeping Lady

I too have always anted to got to the top ol Sleeping Lady.. Over the years i have heard random stories of people making the trip. From what I recall, it is not all that easy, since the trail doesn't get used much and is either over grown and or wind blown... but that is just my febal recollection...

I never had the gumption or right equipment to make that trip... but this year my wife and I bought a pair of 2009 Tundra's.... if there is a few of you or a small group that would like to get together and make the trip or recon it, let me know and maybe we could work it out.

Tom

Stephan Lake

There is a trail that goes to the top on the North West side and I have been completed around Mt Sue.

What area is you interested in Mt Sue is a big Mtn.

Default Mt Su

I don't have any specific interest other than just getting out and seeing the view from the top of the mountain.

If there are multiple ways to get there, I would start with the less challenging route.

From what I heard, you can actually get to the top and on the right day it is a spectacular vista!

Tom

easy ride, up Alexander Cr. and then the main route takes off to the left up to the hill....PM MThayer, he knows that area quite well...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

The primary trail is broken by Eagle Song Lodge. They also groom the trail between their lodge and the Big Su, and the other direction from their lodge to Alexander Lake and beyond. Their trail uses the old Iditarod Trail route. The trip up Mt Su isn't difficult but you'd be better off waiting for spring. Longer days and more snow are your friends. And by then the other guys will have bashed down the alders, too.

Default Whitty Words of Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    The primary trail is broken by Eagle Song Lodge. They also groom the trail between their lodge and the Big Su, and the other direction from their lodge to Alexander Lake and beyond. Their trail uses the old Iditarod Trail route. The trip up Mt Su isn't difficult but you'd be better off waiting for spring. Longer days and more snow are your friends. And by then the other guys will have bashed down the alders, too.
    I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we can get a group together in the spring and make a trip of it.

Thanks

Tom

It is one of the best and easiest to access areas in the spring for bear hunters. There will be trails all over the mt by mid april. There are some good pike all the larger lakes in that network of trails. Sucker, Trail, Alexander, all have good pike.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

We did it a couple of years ago. Rode out and stayed at Eagle Song Lodge. That winter he said he was not breaking the trail up the mountain. His sons had left for college and he just didn't have time anymore. With much trial and error, we busted our own trail up. On the way down, we ran into a bunch of people headed up. I think later in the season someone will have punched in a trail.

It was a beautiful day and yes, the view was gorgeous.

Thumbs up To The Top!!!!!?

I try to get up there about twice a each spring. It's about 125 miles from Willow and back. Some times you make it, and sometimes you don't! It's a great run when you do. The best time is late Febuary and all of March. I stop at Luce's on the way up and come in the back way to Mike's at Eagle Song Lodge and find what goin on. And then go in that way and come out to Alexander Creek and over to the Big Swamp and back to Willow!
    Try it, you will like it!!!!!
    Trail Boss
    Willow Trail Committe
    ALASKA'S Winter Park Cabins
    To boldly make trail where no man has gone before!!!