Thread: What caliber?

Question What caliber?

I'm looking into buying a larger caliber barrel for my T/C Encore rifle. Right now it is equipped with a heavy bbl .223 for predators. I am wanting to use the same gun for moose/caribou/black bear/etc... My dilemma is that I already have three bolt rifles in 30.06 and a Savage 99 in 250-3000. I need to figure out what caliber would be a good alternative if I choose to take the T/C along. I have dies for a .338 so I am leaning that way but dies are cheap in the long run. I'm not very familiar with the .35's and such.

Any suggestions?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default ...

I have been seriously considering the 35 Whelen for my next barrel for my newly purchased Encore.

Seems like a pretty much do-it-all caliber for the bigger critters without needing to get fillings replaced on a yearly basis.

Not sure if I will get a bullbarry or a T/C custom shop barrel. I am thinking a 20" length is just about right for what I want to do.

Right now I have a .375 H&H that is ported and not a bear to shoot. With it 3.5" high at 100 yards I'm no more than 4" low at 300 with 270 grain Barnes TSX. It's been my big critter gun for awhile now. But, I've been looking at a .325 WSM for my Encore. It has a good punch and is a pretty flat shooter. MGM has three blued barrels in stock and they're making a stainless in their next batch. Plus it only takes 4 weeks to get a barrel from them if you custom order one and they have to make it.

Default caliber?

It would be hard to beat the 338 for all-around usefulness -- and local availability of ammo in a pinch.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I have several barrels for my Encore, 223, 22-250, 243, 308, 280 Remington, 257 STW, 25-06, 45-70, 375 H&H, 500 S&W and 50-110 WCF. 4 of these barrels are custom made and the others are factory T/C barrels.

If I were going to go with factory barrels in your case, I would add a 25-06, 280 Remington and a 375 H&H. With these 3 barrels I could hunt anything in the world from DG too varmints.

I'd have to agree with Forestar; .338 Win is among the most versatile for Alaska big game.

Thumbs down T/C Encore Big kickers!

Iím not saying itís going to happen to you, but I had an Encore synthetic stock snap in half on me when I was shooting a 300 win mag., and almost died from the delightful experience.
    Make sure if you shooting a large caliber rifle its a newer version of the Encore butt stock thatís thick and has less thumb hole drop. I would attach a pic but the file is 760 kb and will not attach.

Question Narrowed it down

I think I have it narrowed down to these three - .338, .375 H&H, .300RUM.

Do you guys have any pointers on these three?

Thanks in advance.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Interesting Encore Caliber = 9.3x74R

Think about something unusual, specific for break open single shots, doubles, etc. I really like my custom Encore barrel in 9.3x74R. Ammo is available from Cabelas, Midway, Mid South, and others - at least two brands. Brass, dies, etc. are readily available.

It's a dandy, moderate pressure cartridge, with lots of thump.

My thoughts were that I could have rimless or belted cartridges in my bolt actions. The Encore is the ideal platform for some of the classic rimmed cartridges. Something different, but useful and fun too.

KB

A thought here..... If you choose the .300RUM, you'll need to use a longer bbl. The overbore capacity of the round precludes a shorter version.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post

300RUM.

Very good cartridge but in order to get the most from it you will need a minnimum of 28" barrel. That means big dollars through the custom route like Match Grade Machine or a VanHorn.

Default I think.....

I have decided to go with the .375 H&H. Allen, how do you like yours? Is it a T/C barrel or aftermarket?
    AKmud

My 375 H&H barrel is a factory heavy 26" barrel. I really like it.