Thread: 7-08 to big for fox?

Default 7-08 to big for fox?

Looking to shoot a few fox & possbily a yote this yr. However my choices are a semi auto 22 or 7-08. Don't have the extra cash to buy a new rifle, so with that said which would be better? Would the 08 do to much damage to fox hides?

It's probably not ideal, but if you can find some FMJ loads for it, you should be fine. Actually, I took my first fox with a 30-06 and it barely put a pin hole in the hide. Their chest is so small that I guess the bullet didn't have the time or force to expand, so it just went right through. If you can't get another gun, make the best you can with what you have. Use the 7-08.

Default Doable

If you wish to use your 7-08 on varmints, it will work. You can use a controlled expansion bullet like a 140 gr Accubond or NP . It shouldn't have enough body mass to expand and should do minimal pelt damage. FMJ ammo may be hard to locate for your caliber.
    Good Shooting !
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

IMO, even with FMJ's that round will be too much for fox. If you hit one bone, it will blow the entire side of the animal out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    IMO, even with FMJ's that round will be too much for fox. If you hit one bone, it will blow the entire side of the animal out.
    It may be too much to be ideal, but it's better than not hunting at all. Sometimes a new rifle isn't an option. In that case, take what you have.

Question I dont get why everyone blows off the .22

I have used .22 for years on fox and taken 3 this year and a yote with a semi auto savage .22. I wouldnt even consider my 7-08 for them. Just my openion. shot placement. and you cant get less damage.

If your hunting fox or coyotes where they will be close, if you have a 12 guage, Heavy Shot makes a load called "Dead Coyote" effective for fox a yotes to 100 yds. I have not used it personally, since I have other options, but I know people who have and were pleased with the results.

If you have a shotgun use it .Or the 22,the 7-08 will cut a fox in two!I shoot a lot of fox with 223,22-250,and 17 mach IV.I hand load and the 223 and 22-250 will cut em in two if I dont use the right combination of bullet /velocity and very carefull shot placement. I havnt had my 17 Mach IV in the feild yet but im sure this will be my go to gun for fox.Not much use in shooting em if the hide is destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It's probably not ideal, but if you can find some FMJ loads for it, you should be fine. Actually, I took my first fox with a 30-06 and it barely put a pin hole in the hide. Their chest is so small that I guess the bullet didn't have the time or force to expand, so it just went right through. If you can't get another gun, make the best you can with what you have. Use the 7-08.

I so agree with what Brian says here.FMJ is the way to go.Lats Fox I shot was in 30.06 FMJ and it was a tiny hole going in and a tiny hole coming out.Ive even seen a 7 mag in FMJ do the same thing.Good Luck bud.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default .22lr

Tundra Bob took this fox with a 10/22 from about 75yrds, the fox dropped and we high fived and then it got up and ran, Bob tracked it and got him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27nov08 002.jpg  

I've shot fox with a .300win, .243 and .223, none cut em in half. lol Some damage yes but not hard to fix. Use what your comfortable shooting, and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by plumber View Post
    I've shot fox with a .300win, .243 and .223, none cut em in half. lol Some damage yes but not hard to fix. Use what your comfortable shooting, and have fun.
    Hit a bone with a high vel frangibil pill and you got yourself two fox!I hit one fox last year as it was going away at the base of his tail and the only thing left were the front quarters forward.I have also shot coyote with a 338 win mag and had a 338 hole in and out but it did empty the entire contents of the dog on the ground.The bullet simply passed through without expanding.I had a 8 foot string of gore on the ground that was still attatched at both ends.My point is we match the ammo to the game when it comes to other criters and as a responsible and ethical hunter dont we owe it to the fox and coyote to do the same?A fast clean kill and a usable end product is what I strive for and a fox with a baseball size exit hole is not of much use.

Default agree with a few

I agree with the few that it is too large. I did alot of testing shooting fox out on nunivak island when i lived out there. The fox out there are like mosquitos so i had lots of practice. A 22.250 works GREAT if you downloaded it to about 1900fps. My .223 with a factory round FMJ or not, would either do just great (if i missed ALL bones) or it would rip them apart, if i hit any bones. If I would have taken pics of some of them you would be disgusted, i know I was. Which is why i stopped using fast rifles like that. I do like the way the .17 hmr hits the fox, but the all around best fox gun is a .22 mag, or even a .22.

I personally will not shoot another fox with a .223, but thats just me. I want a usable product when i am done, and if 40% of the time the pelt is shot up so bad it is not saleable (and i am GREAT at sewing up skins) then i won't use that caliber anymore.

I have shot many fox up to 90 yards or so with my 10/22 and killed them. Use the .22 you have, and salvage every pelt not just a few of them pelts.

I will compare it to shooting a sitka blacktail or caribou with a .50 cal beowolf. You can do it, but why when you have a .243 sitting in the gun rack. Why chance wasting what you don't have too?

Use the .22

Good post Fish. I have shot many with a .22 mag. Great gun, no damage. Good for a hundred yards.

Whoever said the shotgun is a good tool is right also. A load of #2's or #4's will do the job at a reasonable distance.