Thread: unit 11 sheep

Default unit 11 sheep

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

A loophole has been established by allowing a GMU to harvest rams when all other GMU have full curl restrictions.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?

By allowing 3/4 curl rams to be harvested in GMU 11 this opens the door for illegal sheep hunting opportunities in other GMU.

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?

In Unit 11, replace curl with Full curl.

Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

All sheep hunters.

B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

No one.

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

None

Cool Uniy 11 Full Curl...

The Unit 11 ram legal-horn-length requirement has been brough up in the BOG meetings many times in the last 15 or 17 years. Unit 11 was left a three-quarters curl horn area for residents back when the rest of the state went to the full-curl requirement.

Although I do not remember the specific argument, reason, or prior court ruling the current three-quarter minimum horn length for residents relates (or is attached) back to some resident SUBSISTENCE deal.

I would suggest that valuable time should be invested in a proposal concept that might have a chance of being accepted/passed.

(...and no, I have never personally hunted there, and have only guided there twice in the distant past, which no anticipated return...)

Dennis

Red face

TV:
    This is the only advantage that residents have over nonresident guided hunters who have access to all of a guides assistants, horses, machines and planes. Nonresidents are limited to full curl only. I wouldnt be infavor of eliminating this one bone tossed to residents who want to harvest a sheep amongst all of the guides!
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

I think F&G made this unit 3/4 curl because most of unit 11 can't be hunted, thus, leaving a bunch of rams that grow of old age, but I could be wrong.

This won't pass.

i agree with solly, why cut off the one good leg ya got? i know where you coming from with someone having a ram shy of legal from one unit and claim its from unit 11, but the same goes with moose iwth some areas being any bull, a second grizzly bear, two black bears outa prince william, deer limits, caribou limits..you name it. i'd let this one slide, its more or less a non-issue compared to the big ball of wax.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default 3/4

There is concern that if the subsistence priority is dropped that the Park Service would follow in the footsteps regarding the hard park. That is what I learned from a conversation a couple years ago from someone who knows more about the issue. F&G is monitoring ram:ewe ratios and as long as they remain around 20:100 they're confident the breeding will be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

A loophole has been established by allowing a GMU to harvest rams when all other GMU have full curl restrictions.
    [B]
    This isn't a loophole. It was done intentionally.