Thread: All 14c sheep hunts res only, except for..

Default All 14c sheep hunts res only, except for..

What is the problem you would like the Board to address?

Due to the fact that Alaska has the cheapest sheep hunting in the United States we have more and more resident and non-resident guides putting non resident hunters in for sheep permits. Alaskan residents are finding it hard to get drawn for these permits. In fact, last year in 14C, upper Eagle River all three tags went to non resident hunters. This is not fair to all Alaskans.

What will happen if this problem is not solved?

Until the legislators change the cost of hunting for non resident big game hunters Alaskan resident hunters are finding it hard to hunt in the state in which they live in. This is not fair and limits need to be established for all non resident hunters. Non resident sheep hunters are more successful then the resident hunters and this high success rate has a negative influence on the amount of permits that ADF&G will issue the following year.

What solution do you prefer? In other words, if the Board adopted you solution, what would the new regulation say?

Make all sheep hunting in Unit 14c resident only. I would also allow ADF&G to auction off 5 non resident tags.

Solutions to difficult problems benefit some people and hurt other:

A. Who is likely to benefit if your solution is adopted?

All resident sheep hunters. Having 5 tags to auction off would bring in much needed $$$ to ADF&G.

B. Who is likely to suffer if your solution is adopted?

No one, all the guides and non resident sheep hunters can go elsewhere to hunt sheep.

List any other solutions you considered and why you rejected them.

See my other proposals

I'm not sure where you got your info on who won Eagle River permits last year, but it's not accurate. A member of this forum who is indeed a resident had an Eagle River sheep permit. Furthermore, there were 9 permits awarded last year, three for each of the three short (12 day) seasons.

Default ds 134

DS 134, Upper Eagle River all three tags went to non resident sheep hunters.

Troy

Default non resident draw tags

Maybe non resident draw tags should be limited to 5%. When there are 20 or more tags, nonresidents would get at least 1. When there are less than 20 draw tags, all would go to residents.

Default huh?

Troy, in another thread on the auctioned tags you had this to say:
    Quote Originally Posted by tv321
    I am not a big fan of this program either. I am not for "our" resources going to the rich. I would support it, if the $$$ raised would go directly to support/manage the resource that was auctioned off. This is the part of ADF&G I have a problem with.
    Yet in this proposal you advocate for more auctioned tags:
    Quote Originally Posted by tv321
    I would also allow ADF&G to auction off 5 non resident[sheep] tags. Having 5 tags to auction off would bring in much needed $$$ to ADF&G.
    Seeing how it's unlikely by the time of this upcoming BOG meeting that ADFG is going to change the way they allocate specific auctioned tag funds into their overall Division of Wildlife Conservation general fund...I really don't understand the inconsistency in what you are saying and advocating for. Are you implying that even if the auctioned tag monies goes into an overall general fund for DWC that you would support that?

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    DS 134, Upper Eagle River all three tags went to non resident sheep hunters.

Troy
    And yet in your other thread on 14C sheep hunting you said that all three early (Aug. 10-22) permits went to non-residents. The early hunt is DS133, not 134. 133 had at least one resident winner, as I sat down with him and went over maps and hunt ideas. Make sure your data is correct in your proposal.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And yet in your other thread on 14C sheep hunting you said that all three early (Aug. 10-22) permits went to non-residents.

Unable to find where I stated it was the Aug 10-22 permits. If I did I stand corrected. It really doesn't matter the facts remain that no resident hunted DS134.

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    Unable to find where I stated it was the Aug 10-22 permits. If I did I stand corrected. It really doesn't matter the facts remain that no resident hunted DS134.

Troy
    You didn't say it directly, but within the same proposal you said that all permits for Upper Eagle River went to non-residents (you didn't specify you meant one of the three seasons), and then the proposal focuses on the early hunt, DS 133. A resident won DS 133. Not all permits for E.R. went to non-residents.

I just figure you should clarify your stats if you're actually going to submit either of these proposals.

Default 14C

Ever since the conception of Chugach State Park there has been a group of park users who have been adamantly against hunting of any type within the park boundaries. And now a hunter is suggesting that, due to a current low level of sheep, a group of park users- nonresident hunters- should be excluded from participating in the hunt. Those against any and all hunting in the park must be overjoyed that a hunter is proposing to divide (all hunters) and conquer (the nonres hunters) in one neat BOG proposal.

I have never hunted sheep within Chugach State Park. And although GMU 14 is on my license, I have never advised my client/hunters to apply for sheep permits within the park. But, still, I would not support an effort to completely eliminate these potential park users, non-res sheep hunters.

Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Ever since the conception of Chugach State Park there has been a group of park users who have been adamantly against hunting of any type within the park boundaries. And now a hunter is suggesting that, due to a current low level of sheep, a group of park users- nonresident hunters- should be excluded from participating in the hunt. Those against any and all hunting in the park must be overjoyed that a hunter is proposing to divide (all hunters) and conquer (the nonres hunters) in one neat BOG proposal.

I have never hunted sheep within Chugach State Park. And although GMU 14 is on my license, I have never advised my client/hunters to apply for sheep permits within the park. But, still, I would not support an effort to completely eliminate these potential park users, non-res sheep hunters.

Dennis
    I don't view it as hunters dividing hunters.

I view the proposal as Alaska residents; the non-commercial hunting interest, feeling it's way along (baby steps) and is just trying to figure out how to take the bull system by the horns.

I am sure you would agree that it is prudent to conserve, preserve and establish the right protocols for allocating our public resources before there is nothing left to hunt.

It is not like the proposal is preventing non-residents from hunting sheep under a general season license/tag. As long as there is a general season 'somewhere' non-residents are not harmed by being prevented to 'draw' tags in limited areas.

If/when residents are 'forced' to draw any kind of big game tags there obviously is not enough resource in that given area to go around.

There is no law that requires Alaskans to 'give' opportunity to non-residents to "draw" when there are general season tags available.

Not a percentage of tags or a given # of tags to hunt sheep; or any other big game, provided there are general season tags available somewhere in the State to non-residents.

And one thing is for darn sure; when non-commercial hunters are forced to draw a tag to hunt any big game there is no justification that would "permit" the commercial hunting industry to continue to put pressure on the public's resources....in the area under 'limits' like 'draws'.

Draws and limits define there is NO SURPLUS of game to be exploited by the commercial hunting industry in that area.

Default Alaska Constitution

ARTICLE VIII NATURAL RESOURCES "Section 3. Common Use. Wherever occurring in their natural state, fish, wildlife, and waters are reserved to the people for common use."

Way I read our constitution "To the people for common use" is Alaska residents!

Terry

Question

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post

Dennis
    It is a State Park. If non-residents want to hunt Alaska, they should be petitioning their reps to open the Federal Parks to hunting. There are simply not enough fish and game resources remaining on the open areas, to satisfy the needs of Alaskans. Why do you think Alaskans should be severely limited or do without, to satisfy the desires and wants of non-residents?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~