Thread: Good place to start -

Default Good place to start -

Disclaimer - Feel free to ridicule and criticize any part of my plan with just one stipulation - please post your logic and reasoning so I can improve and further my goals.

First off - hello - newly registered lurker.

I am planning to purchase 20 - 30 acres of remote land. Preferably off high traffic trails and away from the grid. First unsure question - is over the counter state sales the best way to do this at a reasonable price? What are some good areas to start my land search? If I wanted to be remote, but still pass the occasional nieghbor every great while, where would you look to purchase?

My goals are to hand build a cabin large enough for my wife and two children. We already home school our kids now, and live a solitary life. I am prior service with years in the field, so I am experienced in survival, field surgeries, scouting, hunting, fishing, resource (food, supplies) planning, etc.

I do not have experience in extreme cold or trapping, but I feel confident I can overcome these two challenges. I plan to pay off the land in 3 years while fufilling every single item on my check list before the three years are up. I dont have my list with me, but would love to post it for others to critique.

While Alaska would be a new challenge for me, I have braved the adirondacks through all seasons, and can live with the biting flies and mosquitos just fine. The ultimate goal is to spend a few years from march thru october building the cabin and preparing the land. I would come back to my wife and children during the winter to spend with my family then head back in march. Once everything is completed, my wife and children would then join me for permanent residency.

My children are already home schooled, and we live a very solitary life as it is. We generally only see people once to twice a year as it is now.

So while I may be inexperienced in Alaskan lifestyles, I am smart enough to learn from other's hard work.

Please, rip away and tell me what I have missed, what I am overlooking, or where others commonly fail.

If you have some good information, books, or links I should scour, please post away.

Thanks for any time you can spare -

One note right off is that October is winter in much of AK and March is still winter in most of it. Prime building time is more like May-Sep. Finding 20-30 acres at a "reasonable" price is going to be a challenge depending on what you consider "reasonable". Good luck and it sounds like you are setting out on a great adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    One note right off is that October is winter in much of AK and March is still winter in most of it. Prime building time is more like May-Sep. Finding 20-30 acres at a "reasonable" price is going to be a challenge depending on what you consider "reasonable". Good luck and it sounds like you are setting out on a great adventure!

http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw/landsale/o...ed+Information

Pacel 1178 (17 acres, $18k) is kind of the package / price I was hoping for. I make great money in the private sector, so 20 - 40k would still fall within my 3 year paid off budget plan.

Apparrantly this has road access so it may or may not be remote enough for me. I guess I would need to spend a month up there and look around a good bit.

Are there any areas you (or anyone else) knows of that has a high game population, with access to salmon / fish resources? Alaska is very big, and I am having a hard time trying to narrow down a search.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Lurker
    First i would think of what i want to do. Hunt, fish, trap, make money,then i would want a place that has alot of tember for building.
    I would realy think about how i would get to the property snow machine, boat, airplane.
    I have a place where i can get to by boat snowmachine and by aircraft.
    I would recomend waterfront on a lake or a river.
    I have another property where i can just get there only by plane and that sucks. It is in a prime place in western alaska Ive had it for ten years ive been there mabe 5 times If you dont have a good way to get there for bringing in supplys, building materials, fuel the cost will be alot...
    The other property that have i can get there by boat snow machine and plane its great i managed to build a nice cabin and i love it there. Fishing, hunting, and trapping is good..
    There is alot of cheep remote property in alaska but most of it has almost no way to get there. You would be better off finding a smaller peace like 10 acers on a river or lake for close to the same price unless money is no object then it wouldnt matter a hole lot... you could just hire a big helacopter to haul in your ssupplys...
    If you want a fairly good climate i would say southcentral or western alaska where i think is the best place.. If you dont mind 30 to 50 below then northern alaska. If you like alot of rain then southern alaska might be ok. Give us more detail and im shure you will get alot of input from this forum.

Default Here is a good place to start....

Make sure you read through this thread.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=39834

Lots of folks have put their thoughts into that discussion.
    Last edited by grcg; 11-29-2008 at 01:34. Reason: spelling -n- grammar

Quote Originally Posted by grcg View Post

Wow - just wow! - I thought I was wet behind the ears, but I had no clue.

That thread really made me look at how to do things differently.

Seems like getting established on the grid in a city would be best. At least I can have my family with me during the gathering phases.

For being 30 and having lived long, I still have a way to go. But better doing it properly, albeit a few years longer, than to go about this the wrong way.

Thanks guys - Ill be looking for job opportunities first - established in a city second. Then begin the planning phase for a bush getaway.

One question, is it fairly easy to find jobs in fairbanks/anchorage? My wife is a RN, and I have BSIT and MIS.

Thanks -

contact the hospitals in anchorage and Wasilla and your wife will probably have a job before she can tell you about the opportunities.

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    contact the hospitals in anchorage and Wasilla and your wife will probably have a job before she can tell you about the opportunities.

good luck.
    x2

It is extremely easy for a qualified RN to get a good job here. You may even be able to accomplish both of your goals in one shot. She can probably find a great opportunity in any one of a dozen or more coastal villages. Depending on your experience you may be able to work from home as well.
    There are also many places on the road system in AK where you can be fairly "remote" yet still be able to get to "town" with in a reasonable amount of time.

With what your wife can make you won't need a job and can go hunting,perfect.

The dream takes $, if you have it you can live the good life, if you don't, the dream can become a nightmare.

To me dealing with cold isn't that big of a deal, though I live in the milder south central. The darkness will get to you, just stay active.

As has been stated many times and in many ways on the other thread, remote living in Alaska is alot more difficult than folks from the lower 48 can imagine. It isn't unmanagable, but you won't realize how easy life is in general for folks down south until you take the plunge. While we can say that winter is October through May with cold snaps of well below zero for weeks on end, with months still left in the winter, you just can't appreciate it until you've lived in it. Also you can't appreciate true wilderness where the closest road is 50 or 100 miles away until you've been there.

Many folks look at trapping with fondness, but they have no clue how difficult a job it is, and how little money is in trapping given the hours and expense of running a trap line. Pretty much the same thing with gold mining.

Quote Originally Posted by grcg View Post

That thread is still going too!

Default Jobs

Yeah....your wife's problem will be more along the lines of deciding which job to pick.

There are a lot of IT opprotunities in Anchorage.

Fewer the smaller the town....obviously, I suppose. Fairbanks has the University (UAF) , the military bases, the hospital (Fairbanks Memorial), the utilities (GVEA, College Utilities, Flint Hils, ...) , the pipeline (Alyeska and contractors), the mines (Kinross) , native corporations (Doyon, Tanana Chiefs Conference, NANA, ASRC, Ahtna, Chugach, etc...) and the Feds, State and Borough that all advertise positions regularly. It seems like the State always has openings for network and database folks in Juneau. Also, I see more and more ads for IT work on the Kenai pennisula.

Of course, it depends on what your experience is and what you want to do. It seems like the jobs tend to come in waves. Hold onto your hat if that gas pipeline comes to fruition!

If you are one of those lucky and skilled enough to work from home, you just have to take care where you live and what your speed/bandwidth needs will be. High speed access is pretty standard in the core of the urban centers, and it is growing. But it definitely isn't everywhere yet. I was on %&$* dial-up until a year ago, and I only live a few miles from UAF. (Not in Fairbanks city limits, but just outside of them)

Our wireless internet options are getting better and cheaper all the time. I took my old, REALLY slow sierra wireless card to the Yentna cabin to do some work over the weekend awhile back and it worked just fine....certianly no slower that when I was in town. If I were going to live in the boonies and work from home I would seriously look at investing in a satellite internet setup. Hopefully by the time you are ready to start your bush house there will be better options.

i have a couple buddies on the police forums that are up there ..and telling me with my military and police officer background ..i should not have a problem with finding work up there in a part county sheriff or city police somewhere i we be liveing ..to earn extras money as need ..