Thread: Hi!!

Smile Hi!!

Well, I just found this forum today and am extremly happy I did, I've been reading through the different posts and glad to see there is so much information out there.
    I am *hoping* to get to Alaska this spring/summer, I was hoping to find someone to go there with but no luck yet. Although I have no experience with backpacking I just feel like this is something I want to try, but due to the fact that I have no experience I do not want to do it alone.
    So I was looking into maybe booking a guided trip, figured it will solve the being alone part, and the no experience part. Can anyone suggest a reliable company that does guided trips that are somewhat reasonably priced? I am not set on a specific location just looking for something that will give me a taste of backpacking, and some wilderness.
    The only company I found so far that seems to fit this description the best is Alaskan Alpine Adventures. So if anyone has ever dealt with them I would like to hear your thoughts.
    Any help will be appreciated. This will probably not be my last post as I have tons more questions...haha
    Thanks!!!
    -k

Look at the banner ad just above your post for Trek Alaska. They do guided hiking trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Look at the banner ad just above your post for Trek Alaska. They do guided hiking trips.
    well I guess sometimes the answer is so obvious it is above your own post... thanks for pointing that out lol
    I will look at what they offer.

One thing is for sure, no matter where you end up going you'll probably have the time of your life! The cost for a trip will increase as you get further from the road system due to expenses associated with backcountry airfare, shuttle systems, or ferry drop-offs, so if you're on a budget you'll do best to look into trips that are hike-in/out. The Kenai Mountains, Chugach Mountains (especially near Anchorage), Talkeetna Mountains, parts of the Alaska Range, a few parts of the Brooks Range, and Wrangell St. Elias National Park all offer places where you can get into the wilderness entirely on foot. You might consider these areas when you're doing your research.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but if you decide upon Wrangell St. Elias as a destination I can help you set up a trip (www.kennicottguides.com). We love what we do and have been in business for nearly 15 years. I encourage you to look around a bit and see what region and outfit will suit you best. Good luck and happy daydreaming!