Thread: Ptarmigan 28 Nov 08

Default Ptarmigan 28 Nov 08

Went scouting for some friends slash predator hunt that turned into ptarmigan hunting for about 2 hours after chasing a covy of about 500 birds. It gets pretty rough in knee - waist high snow chasing after them all especially when there are cliffs all around you...only managed 15 but great time non the less.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Ptarmigan rule

Gotta love ptarmigan when they flock like that.
    The rear window decal is priceless. :-)

Those little snow chickens are hard to see, I had the crap scared out of me when they started flying in front of the truck, just saw little black streaks going across me in 20's and 30's....just remember the sticker and if you ever see me stop and say hi....

oh! man wtg fellas.I only managed 2 birds........and the one is iffy for my taxidermy work,so I need to get another one. Nice job on the birds.You know Ive seen that truck on Wainwright before and the wife and I where like heehee hell yea!...........ya think he hunts birds? GUess Ill tell her you do. Daniel

I was waiting for you to reply to this one Daniel.....Dont forget I still owe you a bird hunt for standing you up 2 years ago......lol...

IM ready. Siting here contemplating on going out and shooting a bird......But I have to go wire up a pellet stove for a dedicated circuit for a friend later. Oh! and trust me I havent forgot about the stand up bird hunt

I would love to go and take off right now ....bringing you of course but Im stuck here on duty....wont be able to get out till 0930 tomorrow morning....we plan on placing in a trapline next week and doing some more bird hunting then alot of predator hunting around the 12 for the new moon phase so within the next 2 weeks well link up and get r done....

Default Great success!

I do love those pearly birds. Great job on the hunt. What did you shoot them with? They look pretty clean and white even after the trauma. Were you out on snow-go's or hoofing it? Way to go!

I was using a 20ga semi and my buddy had a 12ga semi......I WISH we had a sno-go but we were hoofing it, If we had better means of transport Im sure we would have had alot more, even snowshoes would have made a huge difference....I will be going back soon..this time prepared...

Talking Hahahaahaha!

Sorry about the on duty thing.Im laughing with you.I was about to go out and check my snares but was sidetracked with helping the neighbor,but I did manage to make a few more snares.Im going to try and get out tomorrow myself for a little while.I dont plan on going far so I might see ya out there.Daniel

Ya, Ill be around town if Im not too tired in the morning.........