Thread: Halibut jigging rod help needed

Default Halibut jigging rod help needed

Ok guys i need some help! I am going to be up this summer armed with a bunch of Boneyard jigs. What do i look for in a Halibut jigging rod? I have a Fin Nor 950 for a reel and i just need to buy a rod for it. I jig a lot down here for walleye and my jigging rod is totaly different than my live bait rods. Any help would be great!

I'd recommend a G loomis Baccara rod. It is hands down the best halibut/Lingcod jigging rod I have ever used. Its not too long, it can be jigged all day. It has enough backbone to take very large fish in raging current. Hope this helps.

-Ben

I use a Shimano Trevala XXH. Nice action and plenty of backbone.
    Matt Drayton, Chef de Cuisine
    Captain Steve's Fishing Lodge
    www.captainstevesfishinglodge.com

check out ebay item 370099619526 bar bar custom crafted fishing rods..the man who makes that rod Ron Daughetry is a very good friend of mine who makes all of our jigging rods they are super light and strong.. we have spent lots of $$$$$ and time in development of these rods....you will be very happy with the rod any of you guys that are interested pm me for Rons number and tell him that i sent you.
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Shimano Trevala XXH "Sweet"

Shimano Trevala. Rated for up to 200 lb. braided line, light weight, one of the models can be had with a gimbal.

Default Seeker!

Seeker rods. Avet reels only way to go. Ask any charter captian worth his wait in salt!

Default Gloomis

Musky Rod. Six feet long with a Calcutta 700 reel (80lb Power Pro). Have had 200+ lbers landed with this set up. Of course its my rig but someone else on the boat caught the fish.

Dittos on the seeker. I picked up a pair of blue lighting inshore 7' rods this summer and love them. The are nice and light so you don't wear yourself out jigging all day, yet have plenty of backbone to pull up big fish. I also run 50# braid so can get down w/o resorting to monster jigs.

Somehow I never seemed to find the buts this year, but did ok with the lings.

Lamiglas Kenai Killer with an Ambassasor real. I've bounced on chickens, black bass and yellow eye for quite a while with that set-up. Caught a 70lb 'but when trolling Anchor Point for kings.

Strictly 'but, I rock a short Penn with full rollers, picked it up from B&J's, biggest I caught was a 280 out of Dutch Harbor but pulled in over 2 dozed 100+ lb'rs with penn 345gti
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Love my Lamiglass rod
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK