Thread: Sand Lake ice fishing EO

Default Sand Lake ice fishing EO

Just thought I'd throw this out there for those that don't know. Sand Lake is due to be rotenoned next year, so they are trying to get rid of the fish in there now. Pretty much every regulation has been increased dramatically in an effort to not waste fish. Here's the link to the EO:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...and%20Lake.pdf

Default did it work with cheney lake?

that lake used to be one hell of a fishery before somebody screwed it up. any info on if the are gonna restock it next year?

Not sure about Cheney, but they are not stocking Sand Lake next spring.

Thanks for sharing. That has been my favorite place to fish since I was a little kid. 20+ years now. Sad that this is happening but maybe they can get the lake straightened out and back to the great fishery it was before.

Anyone tried Ice fishing there lately? Any fish around?
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Quote Originally Posted by arcticfox77 View Post
    that lake used to be one hell of a fishery before somebody screwed it up. any info on if the are gonna restock it next year?
    don't know where they are gonna get the fish to stock it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ryocheck View Post
    Thanks for sharing. That has been my favorite place to fish since I was a little kid. 20+ years now. Sad that this is happening but maybe they can get the lake straightened out and back to the great fishery it was before.

Anyone tried Ice fishing there lately? Any fish around?
    my buddy and i went yesterday bout middle of the lake we fished withe everything from herring, eggs, shrimp, cat food, etc.. not even a bite. lots of others out there on the east end but dont know if they had any luck might have been the barometric pressure or just bad timing not sure good luck yourself

Default question from the EO

I'm not a regular ice fisher, but I've done my share of it. Maybe I've overlooked it in other regulations, but this part of the emergency order puzzled me:

"the use of five lines is allowed with two hooks per line, when fishing through the ice, if both hooks are attached to the same single piece of bait"

Both hooks attached to the same single piece of bait?

Does anyone ice fish multiple hooks rigged in this fashion? I can see where it might work for larger fish (ie: larger bait), if you use a leader with a sliding second hook...but I really can't see it working with most trout set-ups. But maybe I've been missing out on a good technique all these years.

the 5 line regulation is for targeting pike only on Sand Lake, the second hook would be a stinger hook embedded in a bait, common on pike tip-up rigs.

Chenney Lake was poisoned already last summer, restocking next spring.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabowhunter View Post
    the 5 line regulation is for targeting pike only on Sand Lake, the second hook would be a stinger hook embedded in a bait, common on pike tip-up rigs.

good luck!
    I read the EO to allow 5 lines with 2 hooks for rainbows, dollies/char, lake trout and pike in Sand Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskabowhunter View Post

good luck!
    I don't think F&G cares what you catch on the five lines...they are trying to get rid of as many fish as they can before poisoning the lake and killing them all. That's the whole point. Give sportfisherman a chance to take as many as they can so they aren't "wasted" fish when the rotenone comes.

Well, that is how Keith at Game and Fish Sport Fishing Division in Anchorage explained the emergency order to me on the phone yesterday. I'm just passing along what he said, do what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I'm not a regular ice fisher, but I've done my share of it. Maybe I've overlooked it in other regulations, but this part of the emergency order puzzled me:

"the use of five lines is allowed with two hooks per line, when fishing through the ice, if both hooks are attached to the same single piece of bait"

Both hooks attached to the same single piece of bait?

Does anyone ice fish multiple hooks rigged in this fashion? I can see where it might work for larger fish (ie: larger bait), if you use a leader with a sliding second hook...but I really can't see it working with most trout set-ups. But maybe I've been missing out on a good technique all these years.

Yep, quick strike rigs using whole herring for (pike) bait.
    Works well on large predators such as Pike, Musky and Lake Trout.
    The idea behind them is to allow release of these fish. With a single hook rigged large bait you have to wait on the fish and they are more often than not deeply hooked. The quick strike rig allows you to set the hook sooner and deep hook less fish.

DRIFTER is right-on about the quick strike rigs. The 5-line, 2-hook regulation is the standard wording Fish & Game uses in the regulations for Anchorage and Matsu lakes where they want non-native pike removed. I'm guessing they just "borrowed" the statement for the EO. In those cases, you can only use more than 2 lines for pike, and all fish besides pike have to be released immediately.

Regarding Sand Lake, I'd agree with MRFISH in that that EO reads that 5 lines can be used for anything. The point of the EO, as coho stated, is for people to catch (and keep) as many fish as possible before it's poisoned to minimize wasted fish.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Here's a quote from the EO...decode it as you want...I'm fishing 5 lines no matter what I'm after unless F&G updates it with new wording specifying pike only.

"This emergency order increases the daily bag and possession limit for rainbow trout, Arctic char and
    lake trout in Sand Lake to ten fish of each species with no size limit, and increases the number lines
    allowed through the ice from two to five."

It doesn't specify pike only, so I'd fish for everything with up to five lines per person.

Default Some Pike tips for Sand Lake

As a devote pike fisherman I am reading this thread with a little discust. I understand that pike are not native to the area and such but they are a resource that is already established and should be mananged accordingly.

Anyway enough about my views on that, I fished Sand lake consistantley from '05 through Jan of this year and have caught tons of fish out of it. There are some pike in it and they are either hammer handles or whoppers. The largest one I took out of there weighed 15 pounds and was very plump with eggs. I speared it (one of many) to the right of the first canal you use to access the lake from in about 8 FOW.

I've never caught a large pike on a tip-up from that lake (using hooligan or herring). With all of the stocked trout, salmon and char in they I think they tend to prefer some thing moving. With that being said I would reccomend spearing over a large decoy. I'm not sure what Sportsmans has for a decoy selection this year but if you could get your hands on about a 9" or larger decoy and set up early in the day I think a guy would stand a fairly decent chance of spearing a 15 pound + northern from there.

In my opinion, Sand Lake would be your best bet to get a wall mounter out of and now that they are planning on poisioning it please go out and get a few so they don't go to waste. Also, there were many time when I had 20"+ rainbows come through the hole and poke the decoy.

Good luck!

I was out on the east end today fishing tip ups with herring in about 12 feet of water. There is a lot of water on top of the ice. Only had one flag today, this was the result.... ( he hit a herring head about a foot off the bottom)....

Quote Originally Posted by francko View Post
    As a devote pike fisherman I am reading this thread with a little discust. I understand that pike are not native to the area and such but they are a resource that is already established and should be mananged accordingly.
    The trout aren't native to the lake either. The only way to keep trout in that lake is to keep stocking it. At least the pike can sucessfully spawn in there. Too bad there isn't a naturally reproducing prey species in there. I really don't understand.