Thread: 44 mag primer needed for all 44mag loads?

Default 44 mag primer needed for all 44mag loads?

I am loading some Berrys 220 gr. fp bullets into 44 mag brass. I have both Unique and H110. It looks like about 9 grains of Unique is what most charts show but is a large pistol mag primer needed. It looks like they only recommend it if I use the H110. Does it hurt to use them with the Unique? Berrys recommends not going over 1200 fps with the 220 gr fp which kinda limits me with the H110 as most are over 1200 fps. All I have loaded so far (I am pretty new to this) is 44 special with about 6.3-6.9 gr Unique with the Berrys and Oregon Trail lazer cast 240 gr L-swc which I really like. I used cci large pistol primers for these. I would lie to try the H110 but I think with the bullets I have it might produce to much fps? Not really sure but definatly don't want to screw it up,thats why I am asking for a little advice. So, any good 44 mag loads with Berrys 220 gr fp or OT lazer cast 240 gr L-swc. The powder I have is Unique and H110. Thanks for the help.

I expect you could do 1200 fps with H110 with starting loads just dont go lower than listed data.

Also be careful switching primers sometimes it may cause more pressure especially with faster burning powders like Unique.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

You may get 1200 with the unique, I'm not sure but I would NOT load H110 any below recomended loads. Personally I would go with a different powder like 2400 or blue dot either of which can be loaded up or down without problems. There are other powders that would work as well. These are two of my favorite with less than max loads.

I only use regular Large Pistol Primers with Unique.

I don't shoot much 110, but do use 296 and only use Magnum Large Pistol Primers with it.

Edit: this is for the .44 Mag. in question.

I use H110 for full power loads and Trail boss for plinking.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I use Winchester WLP for everything .44 including H110, N110 and Unique.

What bullets do you guys prefer for full power loads?

Cast Performance 300 grain gas check.

I used to use a lot of the Lasercast 240 SWC before I started casting my own. My plinker load used 231, but in your case 8 or 9 grains of Unique would work fine. Unique doesn't need magnum primers--it lights off very easily.

The reason you don't want to push the Berry's bullets too fast is because they're plated, and the plating can get damaged at higher pressures and velocities causing accuracy to go out the window.

The Lasercast 240 grain SWC will work fine with full power loads, unless you'd rather have a heavier bullet. In that case, I think Cast Performance makes a really nice 320 grain bullet. I'm not sure if anyone in Anchorage carries them though--you may have to order them.

Mike

I've always used standard large pistol primers with unique, and magnum large pistol primers with H-110. If you haven't already read the cautions about H-110 and mild loads, here's repeating it. H-110 and W-296 should only be used with full patch loads. Those powders have a heavy coating of deterents and if you run a reduced load you run a serious risk of the primer driving the bullet into the rifling, getting stuck there before the powder has a chance to get going, and then it gets going with a stuck bullet and disasembles your gun.

H-110 is great for full patch loads with heavier bullets. Another vote for a quality 300 gr gc cast bullet for a heavy load.

And dont' forget about unigue, it's a great powder for driving 240-250 gr bullets 700-1000 fps with great accuracy.

I've lit off a lot of WW296 in a 44mag under bullets weighing from 180 to 310 grains without a hiccup, using Winchester's large pistol primer.

Stormy, I just realized that your question about loads for those two bullets hasn't been answered fully yet. The easy answer is to look up the online load data from both Alliant (for the Unique powder) and Hodgdon (for H110). If you don't have them already, you'll really want to get at least two manuals. However I'll try and give you my suggestions (but certainly check them against the published data!)

For your 220 grain Berry's, I'd go with 8 to 10 grains of Unique. Load up a few rounds (maybe 6 to 12) of each load, 8, 9, and 10 grains and see which you and your gun like best. If you're open to trying a different powder, I'd strongly recommend Alliant Power Pistol over Unique. It meters much more uniformly and it's much cleaner burning. It's also more forgiving at higher pressures. 231 is also a favorite of mine for sub-1000 fps loads, and you'll get more shots per pound of powder with it over Unique or Power Pistol. As RMiller suggested, Trail Boss should be a great powder for low-level plinking, unfortunately I've never tried it personally and can't comment directly.

For a load using H110, use your Lasercast bullets, not the Berry's (for the reasons regarding the plating that I mentioned in my earlier post). A very popular load is 23.5 grains of H110 with most any 240 grain bullet. I've gone as high as 25 grains, but would not recommend that, especially if your .44 mag is a S&W model 29-3 or earlier. I'd suggest a few rounds of 23.0, 23.5 and 24.0 and see what works best. Some people have actually found better results with H110 using standard primers, but that's not been my experience. I tried 23 - 24 grains of H110 under a 250 grain Keith SWC using CCI standard primers in my Colt Anaconda, and accuracy was pretty poor and I saw wide extreme spreads on the chronograph. I wholeheartedly agree with the other people here that you should stick with magnum primers with H110 (or Winchester large pistol since they're hotter than other brands of standard primers).

It's important to point out that if you have an earlier Smith model 29 (-3 or earlier), you want to shoot heavy loads in it very sparingly. With the -4 engineering change, S&W included what they call an "endurance package" that helped strengthen the internals a bit, as well as helped to prevent the cylinder from rotating backwards sometimes upon firing. My 29-2 usually sees only one of two loads, both using a 250 grain Keith SWC: 7.5 grains of 231 (for a very light plinker), or 10 grains of Power Pistol. If I take it in the woods I'll use a heavier load, but then I'm most likely not going to shoot it in that case since it's only a backup for my rifle.

Hope that helps,
    Mike