Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Question????

Default Rifle Question????

Greetings!

Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.

Here is a question I'd appreciate your insight on.......I'm primarily a bow hunter, but am planning a rifle moose hunt up there next year. I don't like having a bunch of rifles laying around that I only use once a year (or once a lifetime) so I'm looking for the all around big-game rifle...something that will bring down everything from whitetails to bull moose in an ethical manner. Any suggestions?

God bless.
    Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

30.06 would be a great choice. Bullet selection will allow you to take any Alaska big game animal as well as any in most of the world. OK, you would need something heavier for Africa but that waasn't the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    30.06 would be a great choice. Bullet selection will allow you to take any Alaska big game animal as well as any in most of the world. OK, you would need something heavier for Africa but that waasn't the question.
    30/06 is what I've been shooting for years. I've read and heard many say that it's a bit light for moose. Any suggestions for 30/06 moose killing rounds?

Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

Default A carbine in 9.3 x 62 or 6.5 x 55

A CZ 550 in 9.3 x 62 would work for all game in Alaska. However, with a scope, it would weight about nine pounds (a bit on the heavy side).

A better choice would be a 6.5 x 55 in a scoped rifle weighing about 7.5 pounds.

Carrying a lighter shorter rifle will give you more mobility in difficult terrain and will allow you to hunt longer and with less fatigue.

Go with a .300 mag , ammo is easy to get, bullet weights are from 110 to 220. Will handle just about anything on north america. Mut say it might be a little light on big bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr. Joe View Post
    30/06 is what I've been shooting for years. I've read and heard many say that it's a bit light for moose.
    It is not too light for moose at all. Moose are not difficult animals to kill if you shoot them through the lungs. I've taken a moose with a 150gr bullet out of a 30-06 and it went all of 15 yards before crumpling up. If you've already got a 30-06, there is absolutely no reason to buy a different gun. Load it with the 180gr bullet of your choice (just a touch bigger in case you run into a bear that is interested in your kill), and shoot with confidence.

I agree with Brian, first moose I shot was with a 30-06, (1974) 150 grain bullet. Both lungs, dropped where it stood. Again as Brian said, go with the 180 grain because of the chance of bears.

Its not, Brian is right on recommending the 180 grain bullet. A lot of moose have been taken with the 30.06.

Sounds good. Then the ol' 30/06 it will be. It's the only rifle I've ever owned and shot. I'd feel like a traitor abandoning it after all these years.

Thanks for the input.

Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

Smile .30-06 is fine

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    It is not too light for moose at all. Moose are not difficult animals to kill if you shoot them through the lungs. I've taken a moose with a 150gr bullet out of a 30-06 and it went all of 15 yards before crumpling up. If you've already got a 30-06, there is absolutely no reason to buy a different gun. Load it with the 180gr bullet of your choice (just a touch bigger in case you run into a bear that is interested in your kill), and shoot with confidence.
    I also agree with Brian, well said and sound advice.

Its not a bad idea to just use the 220 grain bullets.They work great on moose and a little extra comfort walking in and out of the bush.I figure you will have someone with you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I figure you will have someone with you anyway.
    Yes...a fellow outdoosman priest will be hunting with me. We figure when one of us gets attacked by a grizzly, the other one can administer last rites.

Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

I'll take a swing at the same drum, The '06 will do the trick, my wife uses a 308 w/ 180grn bullets and I have freezer full of meat that says it works like a champ as well.

Default 30-06

Find a used controlled round feed Mod. 70 in caliber 30-06. Shoot 180 grain Nosler Partitions or Barnes X bullets. Your grandchildren can use it some day.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Find a used controlled round feed Mod. 70 in caliber 30-06. Shoot 180 grain Nosler Partitions or Barnes X bullets. Your grandchildren can use it some day.
    Wise words from a guys named ".338 mag"

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    ... Your grandchildren can use it some day.

Since the guy's moniker is "Fr.(Father) Joe" I'm guessing probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Since the guy's moniker is "Fr.(Father) Joe" I'm guessing probably not.
    Haha...well..I wasn't going to say anything....it was a good point.

Fr. Joe

HuntingForGod.com

A .30-06 and ammo with 180-grain bullets should be plenty. But in my view, for a more difficult shot such as one where you want to anchor it as close as possible to the spot with a shoulder-breaking angle shot, a heavier bullet or a bigger caliber with the proper bullet would be my preference. But you can also use a 180-grain Triple-Shock out the .30-06 to achieve similar results, or even better the same bullet out of a .300WM.

I am bias to the .338WM, of course, and use that. Even so, I agree with Brian about the .30-06 and a 180-grain bullet. It's a wonderful and very popular cartridge in Alaska.

An anchor shot on a moose? I can't imagine many scenarios where I would want to damage meat in order to get one to drop on the spot. Even if it was going to run into a river/lake, I think I would rather double-lung it and deal with the wet animal than drop it in its tracks with a ruined front quarter.

Default 30:06

Good advice here about the 30:06. I use the 180 grain corelock bullet for everything up here with no problems. My rifle is a tack driver and I love it. BC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast