Thread: Live Hares

Default Live Hares

If I was able to capture Live snowshoe hares (wild) ... can I use them for dog training in some way.. I have a yellow lab but he's not keen on "retrieving" anything..I would think they'd be a good way to get my son a rabbit shooting experience.. I may be off base but just a thought...

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

I think you can get in a bind by keeping live wild critters captive. with out a permit...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    I think you can get in a bind by keeping live wild critters captive. with out a permit...
    technically wouldnt they be "captive" with a leg snare on?

your probably right... ohh well ....

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

go buy some at the pet store?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default talked to the troopers about this one

i bought a beagle pup last spring and did some calling around.....troopers say....catching them live is fine...in the regs it even says you can snare or live trap hare.....however...when you let them go for a dog to chase...that is considered harassment...even if you intend to shoot it.....it did strike me as odd though......live trap/snare=legal......hunting with dogs=legal.....but when you put them both together=illegal....i was pretty disappointed...i called juneau and tried to get a permit for keeping wild rabbits....but no go..plus i'm not sure what the legalities are of letting go domestic rabbits for hunting or chasing of dogs...that might be animal cruelty by law....not that i'm a against it...just dumb laws
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I remember as a kid one of the guys in mu uncles hunt club used a starter pen with a few store bought bunnys in it. It was great for letting the pups sight run the rabbit for a while. Once they stuck their nose to the ground in the starter pen it was time to start working them with his best dog. It was a great way to train the pups. I would think you would be able to set something like this up, but there is no telling.

Default that works good

thats what a lot of folks do.....the people i bought my dog from let the pups chase the young bunnies they had around the living room.....i'm just not sure where the line is between pet and food with the rabbits...as far as the law goes anyway.......they look like meat to me
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    If I was able to capture Live snowshoe hares (wild) ... can I use them for dog training in some way.. I have a yellow lab but he's not keen on "retrieving" anything..I would think they'd be a good way to get my son a rabbit shooting experience.. I may be off base but just a thought...
    This might be better in the gundog training section, but have you tried dummies yet? A good dummy made of a sewn up pelt works great. Also when you say he's no keen on retrieving do you mean he's not interested or he just doesn't bring it back? If he's not interested the dummy can help there but if he's not brining it back it might be a trust issue or you might be starting him in too large of an area. Try him in a small fenced in area or inside and see how he does.
    Chris Willhoite