Thread: Moving all draw permits to Dec.

Default Moving all draw permits to Dec.

I was wondering if people would like to see all permits to come out in Dec time frame and results to come out in jan/feb?
    I know like for me and others results come out in july and some hunts start in Sept. That is too late for me to ask for time off for work.
    I'm thinking of submitting a proposal if I can get a positive feedback on this.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The problem with this approach is that the for many of the drawing hunts the number of permits available is based on abundance information gained during surveys that do not occur in time for a winter drawing. If we want good management we need to allow biologists time to do what they need to do and not try and constrain them with our own personal schedules. A solution for you would be to only apply for only those hunts that fit within your schedule.

I have to agree with Chisana on this one. While I appreciate the winter drawing for sheep and goat, I understand the management constraints that force the spring drawing. I think if we went to an all-winter drawing that we would see fewer overall permits awarded as F&G would rather play it conservatively than give out too many permits. As far as planning goes, having results in July isn't very convenient, but I think it's the best system that we can get. Ideally, we can set aside the time off in advance, and if we don't get a drawing permit we can do a general season hunt instead.

-Brian

Brian,

That's exactly what I do...plan a hunt in an open area and then modify the location if am lucky enough to draw a permit for that species. I have had deposits in with air transporters for my general hunt and they have all been willing to carry my deposit to the next year when I have drawn a permit and changed plans.

Good point. Overlooked that.. I do the same if I donated money (permits) then I fall back on gerneral season.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK