Thread: Converting Yugo Mauser?

Default Converting Yugo Mauser?

I'm thinking about having a 24/47 Yugo 8mm Mauser converted to either 350 Rem Mag or 375 Ruger.

I've never had a gunsmith do anything before, so I know nothing about this stuff.
    But, I was thinking of just having the original barrel reamed out. Those old sights could be filed off, and then I could have it tapped for a scope... then the whole thing could be dropped in a cheap sporter stock.

What do you think? What is it going to cost me? Should I have it glass bedded (if so, what would that cost)?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Default Nope

You'll need to rebarrell to the desied caliber barrell as reboring and rifleing a barrell is cost prohibitive. Just pick your desired caliber then have your smith chamber ream and chamber the barrell. Then have the action drilled and tapped for a scope. The next step is to have the bolt opened up for a magnum face, then cut the handle off and bent for a scope then welded back on. With a project of this magnitude and a rifle of the power you desire I would have the action glass bedded onto a new piece of wood or synthetic stock wich-ever you choose.
    When all the above modifications have been made you'll need to decide what finish you want your "NEW " rifle to wear.

Total cost not counting action, maybe $800 bucks depending on barrell and stock, might go higher or lower. Then you'll still need a scope, mounts and rings.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Money wise, you can buy a NIB Ruger for less money.
    Resell for sporterized Mausers is lower as well.
    Unldess you like to tinker and do the work yourself, you are moeny head to buy a factory gun.
    That has been my experience, have done both for a 358Win.

Thanks for the feedback.

The bolt face needs to be opened up for either 350 Rem or 375 Ruger? Ok...what about a '06 based cartridge, such as 338-06, 35 Whelen, etc? Does the action lend itself more easily to that?

If I can find a reamer to use, is it still cost prohibitive to have a smith ream and rifle the barrel? Is it still more cost effective to find another barrel?

If I do find another barrel, what will it cost to have it fitted to the action?

As far as bending the bolt handle... what if I forgo the scope? I was thinking of putting a ghost ring on...

And what about those cheaper sporter stocks ($50-$100)? Do they work ok? Could the action be bedded in those? What would that work cost?

Maybe I'm just beating a dead horse, and you're right. It's just a sweet action, and I'd love to do something cool with it. Maybe I'll save it for a future wildcat project, when I know what I'm doing...

If I could get a Rem. 700 take-off barrel (from another guy's project), can it be fitted to the mauser action?

Default REbuild

If you choose a caliber that has the same bolt face as the 8mm the bolt face would not have to be opened. The 35 Whelen, 338-06 both would be the go to choices. The bolt wouldn't have to be altered if you chose to use ghost ring sights.
    Adams & Bennett barrels are available from Midway for both calibers. There are inexpensive stocks as you have pointed out, your choice. As for the bedding, any stock can be blass bedded. The sights would have to be installed and the rifle refinished.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

One problem you have is that your caliber choice is somewhat limited with the Yugo M24/47. It is an "intermediate" mauser action and is not optimized for a lot of calibers. Mine will not even take surplus 8x57 ammo in the magazine box. The 375 Ruger will be out. You'll need a full size M98 mauser for that.

I'm converting mine to 358 win. The 350 Rem Mag is a great choice, since you can seat the heavier bullets out further than the standard loading overall length (which is 2.80 inches, optimized for a short action Rem. magazine box).

You will have to have the bolt face opened up, but that isn't too expensive. The action feed rails will have to be opened up to feed the fatter round. That is more time consuming. Also the follower likely will have to be altered for proper feeding of a magnum. Plenty of people do it, it just costs money! Like the others said, you won't make or save money doing the conversion, but it is fun. Good luck!

A few more things, since I've looked into this before. This guy did a great job for my gun, as I remember he charged $55 plus shipping two years ago for a bolt handle job:
    http://bobsgun.com/

I haven't used ER Shaw, but they give a good idea of what the cost is for various services to modify your gun. They also supply finished, threaded, short chambered barrels that you could put on your gun, then rent a finish reamer, etc to finish your gun.

http://www.ershawbarrels.com/action_mod.asp

Check Gunbroker.com or MidwayUsa for Boyds mauser gunstocks. Boyds are about the only maker that makes a stock specifically for the M24/M48 yugo action. Unfinished stocks run about $104, finished drop in run about $150.

It's all just time, money and fun!

I don't know much about the various mausers. Could somebody give me the rundown?

Which are full-size? Which tend to be of the best quality...or best for converting? What cartridges are the best conversion options?

There are so many variations of the M98, its not even funny. I like using vz-24's and commercial (markX) actions. These are standard length actions for the 30-06 etc.

I'm only down to 4 rifles on mauser actions. 35whelen and 30-06 on vz-24's and and 30-06 and 9.3x62 on commercial receivers.

The choices for calibers is as varied as action choice. it all depends on how much $$ you want to spend. easiest is anything that is around the 30-06 round.

I am having a 358win built on a styr 1912 action (Another m98 variation).

If you reload you might consider the 8mm PMM (poor mans mag) which is a 338 win mag necked to 8mm. This would not require a re-barrel job but would require bolt face alteration, feed rails altered and maybe a commerical trigger guard which would handle the longer case.

My Barnes #3 manual list a 220 gr Barnes-X bullet. The Speer manual shows a 225 gr bullet at over 2500 fps. THe 220 gr bullet should be a little faster than the 225 loading This should be close to the great 338 Win Mag and work fine for you.

Just a thought

I'd add another vote for buying a ruger allweather. I've built a few mauser based customs, and unless you put some serious $ into it, the end result isn't even as good as a factory rifle, and the mauser costs more as well.

My ruger 350 rem mag is a shooter, buy one while they are still available.

Must have a bedding problem as it seems to string it's shots