Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Harbor Transient Slip Questions

Default Seward Harbor Transient Slip Questions

Is it reasonable to go to Seward with a 20 ft (23 overall) length boat (the one in my avatar photo) and plan on using transient slips over the course of one or two weeks to leave the boat in the water between trips instead of launching in/out each time with the trailer?

Depending on weather, I might want to leave it sit for a few days at a time, and trips might be short (say 4 to 10 hours) each time?

How often do you have to raft?

Do they help you get un-rafted if you are in-between other boats?

Thanks for any advice from those who have done this.
    I read the Harbor regulations/tariffs and am just wondering how it all really works out when things are busy...........
    Last edited by titobandito; 11-28-2008 at 00:01. Reason: list boat size

You are on your own when you raft up. Some times it can be a hassel to get it out if you are 3 or 4 in. I tried it a few times and had some things come up damaged and missing. I had out bumpers on both sides and someone tied up next to me without adjusting them to fit the 2 boats. When I came back the other boat was gone and I had a large hole rubbed into the side of my gelcoat. That was my last transient experience. But that was just my experience, others may have a happier storey to tell.

how much water can your boat hold? friend had new osprey partially sink when a bilge pump malfnctioned...water in cabin and engine was partially sumerged.

cover back to shed water if you can't be close by
    or hire someone for boat watch to check daily if raining. Whittier has locals that will do that.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

I would not risk it.

Default + slip cost

Overnight slip cost is $12 to $14 per night too, I think, Homer was $14 for sure last year

Launch fee is pretty cheep if want to keep your boat looking like it does now.

Smile I use a regular slip on some weekends

Rafting "should" be only about three boats, anymore and they stick out to far, I haven't seen many times in Seward were it was more than three. Always put out a giant bouy (anchor bouy) on that exposed side near where the side becomes the bow for added protection. You can sometimes figuer out which boats never leave, some are seasonal live-aboards, or tie to that charter boat that goes out daily and uses the transit slip, they tend to know what they are doing.
    When I go down for a long weekend, as I leave the harbor or when I can remember, I call the habor office (ch.17) and ask if any slips are available for the night. Usually there are, I reserve it for the weekend if they know the slip owner's boat is gone for awhile. It cost's me around a buck a foot, I live large for the weekend, nice and safe, nothing but dock on the sides when I walk down to it with my coffee and breakfast! Self-bailing deck, full cover over the back deck, let it rain!

Thumbs up Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    ..call the habor office (ch.17) and ask if any slips are available for the night. Usually there are..
    ...and the winner is..
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Rafting "should" be only about three boats, anymore and they stick out to far, I haven't seen many times in Seward were it was more than three. Always put out a giant bouy (anchor bouy) on that exposed side near where the side becomes the bow for added protection. You can sometimes figuer out which boats never leave, some are seasonal live-aboards, or tie to that charter boat that goes out daily and uses the transit slip, they tend to know what they are doing.
    When I go down for a long weekend, as I leave the harbor or when I can remember, I call the habor office (ch.17) and ask if any slips are available for the night. Usually there are, I reserve it for the weekend if they know the slip owner's boat is gone for awhile. It cost's me around a buck a foot, I live large for the weekend, nice and safe, nothing but dock on the sides when I walk down to it with my coffee and breakfast! Self-bailing deck, full cover over the back deck, let it rain!
    I thought this was our little secret......

Question ???

Bullbuster and Bauer,
    I don't understand your reply, are you guys agreeing that my info for Titobandito is a good idea? Or are you guys the type that keep your secret fishing/hunting/boating tips a secret for fear that everyone thinks your a genius and will jump in on your action???

Bullbuster and Bauer,
    I don't understand your reply, are you guys agreeing that my info for Titobandito is a good idea? Or are you guys the type that keep your secret fishing/hunting/boating tips a secret for fear that everyone thinks your a genius and will jump in on your action???

Nope. By the way, it is "you're" lol. Something about misused words and genius in the sentece is very funny. At any rate, for years I tied up the boat in an empty spot and walked up to the harbor office to see if they had any spots open. One day, after seeing me do this a couple of times during the same week, a very nice young girl said that I could just radio them and save myself all this trouble. It never occurred to me that I could do such a thing; what a concept..... So, I really consider myself more of an idiot than a genius. And you are right, unless it is during the Silver Salmon Derby, they probably have something.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskapiranha View Post
    Overnight slip cost is $12 to $14 per night too, I think, Homer was $14 for sure last year

$25 a night for Homer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default I like the dock BUT,

If I am in Seward and the weather is nice, I would much rather spend the night on the boat at Thumb Cove, Bowen Anchorage over in Day Harbor, Three Hole Bay, or even Agnes Cove when the silvers are in. Why do eggs and bacon taste so much better on the boat? Go figure on that one. If the wife is with me, well she likes the dock.

Smile

By the way it's not spelled sentece.

By the way it's not spelled sentece.
    I was wondering if you were going to catch that. The stakes go up when genius is in phrase (since I can't spell sentence). Have a great weekend!

When you raft up just use studded tires for bumpers instead of buoy balls, all the glass boats will learn to stay away from you Seriously, i'd put the boat on the trailer just for peace of mind.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up Give the man his point

Bullbuster and Bauer,
    I am agreeing with your idea to utilize an unoccupied slip. A lot of people don't know that possibility even exists. Great post.

That one will get you a rep point!

PS. I have no secrets, just a confused mind. Now where is my coffee?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Done did that

Quote Originally Posted by bullbuster View Post

That one will get you a rep point!
    OOPs, my confused mind forgot that I already gave you a rep for your post when I first read it, and no more allowed.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Smile

Bauer and Bullbuster, thank you for your comments, you guys have a great weekend also. If anyone ever needs to raft up, you're always welcome on my boat. (Heck, using another boat as a giant protective bumper is always welcome!)

Your better off finding dry storage in the area and launching your boat each time. Just my two cents.
    Ryan Tollefsen
    Prudential Jack White Vista Real Estate

Alaska Real Estate
    Anchorage Real Estate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast