Thread: Ice Auger

Default Ice Auger

Looking into buying a gas powered auger, and need some candid input!

This is what I've narrowed it down to (until I get input otherwise!)

Eskimo 10" 1.8HP $299.99

Eskimo 10" 2.1HP $419.99

I just can't see what the extra horsepower is going to get me besides added weight and $120 less in my wallet.

Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

I really don't know anything about augers but I've used both the eskimo and Jiffy 10" augers this year...they were the best of each brand sold by sportsmans....(let me know if you'd like the exact models)

The eskimo cuts a fine hole plenty fast, but the Jiffy cuts a hole more the twice as fast....the STX blade is pretty impressive... it is pretty easy to see why the jiffy was so much faster it has a nasty riper blade and spins so fast....the eskimo is more of a shaver at a much slower rpm....

The Jiffy has almost no plastic on it at all, the Eskimo has a lot of plastic

The Jiffy is heavier (38lbs)

The Jiffy was $500 and the Eskimo was over $400+

I went with the jiffy...If you do the same, watch out for the new 'quick connect' feature...it is a neat idea but the rubbery plastic that holds the pin turns quite brittle in the cold and you will lose the pin, so keep an extra handy...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Thanks for the input! I ended up getting the Eskimo, however I know what you mean about the Jiffy. My old man got a Jiffy 10" over 20 years ago, and he is still polkadotin' the ice with it today! Durable machine, and you get what you pay for, unfortunately, I was budgeted by "She who must be obeyed", AKA the wife!

Quote Originally Posted by arcticat500 View Post
    I ended up getting the Eskimo,
    Nothing wrong with the Eskimo...

"She who must be obeyed", AKA the wife!
    No auger on the planet is worth upsetting that balance...you are a wise man...

Update on the Jiffy...I drilled 52 holes, 15" of ice, less than 10 minutes...not bad...I stopped because I was getting tired..lol
    pull my finger....

Thumbs up

Thanks for the input! I ended up getting the Eskimo, however I know what you mean about the Jiffy. My old man got a Jiffy 10" over 20 years ago, and he is still polkadotin' the ice with it today! Durable machine, and you get what you pay for, unfortunately, I was budgeted by "She who must be obeyed", AKA the wife!
    I bought an 8" Eskimo 4 years ago and I use it every weekend as soon as the ice is thick enough to walk on. I have never done any maintenance on it save changing the blades once a year. More is always better but the Eskimo will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Update on the Jiffy...I drilled 52 holes, 15" of ice, less than 10 minutes...not bad...I stopped because I was getting tired..lol

So I believe that you have earned a thank you from me for helping thin out the pike. I don't know what else you could be doing w/ 52 holes unless you've got yourself one heck of a net system that you don't want to pull to far one direction.

Quote Originally Posted by wasillaguy View Post
    So I believe that you have earned a thank you from me for helping thin out the pike. I don't know what else you could be doing w/ 52 holes unless you've got yourself one heck of a net system that you don't want to pull to far one direction.
    you would be correct...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    pull my finger....

One helluva trolling hole!