Thread: cabin building

Default cabin building

the first thing that i notice about all the cabin photos that the cabins are about two to three ft off the ground ..since i new at this part of the game please tell me why..
    the second thing i notice is that a lot of them have outhouse set ups

the third thing i notice was there was not a lot of solar systems in the pictures as go north..

the fourth thing i notice was a lot of the cabins have super large windows in the front of them ..wont it let a lot of heat out the area around the window area .. or though the window itself..or are you useing triple panel windows to stop the heat loss
    i had plan to have only one window in the cabin front area and one in the rear where the bathroom area is

how thick do you put the insulation foam boards on the walls and roof and floors in between the floors and bottom floor set up so to have a double wall floor to keep the cold for comeing though the floor..i was planing on useing double layer typle foam board-x-1.inchs thick though out the walls and 1.inchs thick on the floor between the floor panels system..and 1.inchs thick panels on the roof area between the wood paneling system

i had found my cabin kit online and was wondering about the base set up with the logs set about three ft off the ground area..

my second thought was to use the wood burning cook stove as my main source of heat and cooking in the cabin ..since it is only going to be 14.ft.wide.-x-20.ft long with a open floor plan typle set up with the cook stove in the center of the room..

my third idea is to use for keeping food frozen and other things cold was a 12.ft combo reg and frezzer 12.volt set up for the use as need at the cabin

my fourth idea is use a wind turbine to charge the small battie bank for the reg unit ..since i going to be useing a oil lamps for lighting and useing the battie bank for reg and my laptop as need for movie watching as need ..so a 6-battie system bank so be able to handle the reg and laptop as need for a couple days before haveing to be recharge..the battie box is going to set inbetween the floor joints in a special box that is bult to hold them off the ground area and keep them semi warm as need in the winter time

futon as a combo sofa and bed set up for use as need as the basic liveing room set with a coffee table as need with a small round wood table and chairs-x-2- set for basic liveing in the cabin

how thick does the floor rock area with motar for the stove ..so not have a problem with the heating going to the floor and cause damage to the floor..or wraping the floor panels ... or starting a fire with heat from the stove..i was thinking about 3.inchs thick with the river typle stones with motar inbetween the rocks for makeing a stove stand area safe

a hand pumped water system that use a well system for basic water use

in the bathroom would have a composting non elec typle toliet system with the shower would be heated by useing propane system that you fill the tank with water and the useing the handle pump to make pressuse in the tank and water tank ..the tank holds five gallons of water..then just kit that the company sell to upgrade to a regular sized propane tank by useing a reg 20.or 40.,pd sized propane tank with it hose running out side to the tank to use as need or below the shower area so to be able to change out a tank as need ..or do i need to build a box around the tank to keep the wind and snow off the tank so to have work right in the winter time..

going to try and use a greywater dump system for the used water for the shower and kitchen sink ..that runs out to a dug hole with a rock pile typle ..down into the earth about 5.ft then filled with small rocks on the bottom .. then big rocks on the top of the small rocks ..with sloping typle angle pvc typle pipe ..the shower sit up on a 1.ft high platform so the water is running down into the kitchen area sink pipe so able to drain as need

feel free to pick them apart ..better have the idea torn apart here then up there in the middle of winter time and things are not working right up there in the woods ..jam up so far to a month of sundays would not get me out of harm way

so feel free to help a new person get his you know togerther now and not later when i out in the middle of alaska trying to live there

my plan to move about three hours northwest of anchorage ..so to be able to get into town as need for basic things like movies and shopping and book stores and other little things that you need to do and still away for the crowded city area ..
    looking for a small town about 300..to-500.people in the town area ..so be able to go into town as need for supplies and have basic conact with people

my second thought was to use the wood burning cook stove as my main source of heat and cooking in the cabin ..since it is only going to be 14.ft.wide.-x-20.ft long with a open floor plan typle set up with the cook stove in the center of the room..
    It's a good idea in the winter but it will be pretty hot inside in the summer if you're cooking on a wood stove! Those stoves are pretty big so it will take about an hour of good hot burning to get the cook top hot enough to boil water. Unless you plan on cooking outside during the summer... but beware of attracting bears.

i found a sheepherders stove that is small and compact typle..i found a 12.volt mircowave oven so to cook somethings inside the house and outside useing a bbq grill..i plan on use a large deck typle for the summer time and have the bbq grill up high and away from the ground ,,,

Default Henry

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    the first thing that i notice about all the cabin photos that the cabins are about two to three ft off the ground ..since i new at this part of the game please tell me why..
    the second thing i notice is that a lot of them have outhouse set ups

the third thing i notice was there was not a lot of solar systems in the pictures as go north..

the fourth thing i notice was a lot of the cabins have super large windows in the front of them ..wont it let a lot of heat out the area around the window area .. or though the window itself..or are you useing triple panel windows to stop the heat loss
    i had plan to have only one window in the cabin front area and one in the rear where the bathroom area is

how thick do you put the insulation foam boards on the walls and roof and floors in between the floors and bottom floor set up so to have a double wall floor to keep the cold for comeing though the floor..i was planing on useing double layer typle foam board-x-1.inchs thick though out the walls and 1.inchs thick on the floor between the floor panels system..and 1.inchs thick panels on the roof area between the wood paneling system

i had found my cabin kit online and was wondering about the base set up with the logs set about three ft off the ground area..

my third idea is to use for keeping food frozen and other things cold was a 12.ft combo reg and frezzer 12.volt set up for the use as need at the cabin

my fourth idea is use a wind turbine to charge the small battie bank for the reg unit ..since i going to be useing a oil lamps for lighting and useing the battie bank for reg and my laptop as need for movie watching as need ..so a 6-battie system bank so be able to handle the reg and laptop as need for a couple days before haveing to be recharge..the battie box is going to set inbetween the floor joints in a special box that is bult to hold them off the ground area and keep them semi warm as need in the winter time

futon as a combo sofa and bed set up for use as need as the basic liveing room set with a coffee table as need with a small round wood table and chairs-x-2- set for basic liveing in the cabin

how thick does the floor rock area with motar for the stove ..so not have a problem with the heating going to the floor and cause damage to the floor..or wraping the floor panels ... or starting a fire with heat from the stove..i was thinking about 3.inchs thick with the river typle stones with motar inbetween the rocks for makeing a stove stand area safe

a hand pumped water system that use a well system for basic water use

in the bathroom would have a composting non elec typle toliet system with the shower would be heated by useing propane system that you fill the tank with water and the useing the handle pump to make pressuse in the tank and water tank ..the tank holds five gallons of water..then just kit that the company sell to upgrade to a regular sized propane tank by useing a reg 20.or 40.,pd sized propane tank with it hose running out side to the tank to use as need or below the shower area so to be able to change out a tank as need ..or do i need to build a box around the tank to keep the wind and snow off the tank so to have work right in the winter time..

going to try and use a greywater dump system for the used water for the shower and kitchen sink ..that runs out to a dug hole with a rock pile typle ..down into the earth about 5.ft then filled with small rocks on the bottom .. then big rocks on the top of the small rocks ..with sloping typle angle pvc typle pipe ..the shower sit up on a 1.ft high platform so the water is running down into the kitchen area sink pipe so able to drain as need

feel free to pick them apart ..better have the idea torn apart here then up there in the middle of winter time and things are not working right up there in the woods ..jam up so far to a month of sundays would not get me out of harm way

so feel free to help a new person get his you know togerther now and not later when i out in the middle of alaska trying to live there

my plan to move about three hours northwest of anchorage ..so to be able to get into town as need for basic things like movies and shopping and book stores and other little things that you need to do and still away for the crowded city area ..
    looking for a small town about 300..to-500.people in the town area ..so be able to go into town as need for supplies and have basic conact with people
    There is a lot of perma frost in AK. It is a permanently frozen ground below the surface. If you disturb the top areas the ground thaws out and becomes a muck. As it thaws the humidity/moisture damages the flooring raising the house allows for circulation/evaporation.
    Underground plumbing suffers the same fate; ergo the outhouses. Grey water dumps may not work so well since the muck is usually petty saturated/frozen unless you find a hillside.
    Yes solar systems provide a lot of power about 8 months a year to cabins not on the grid. If you plan on having an alternative energy system plan on haveing a generator backup/battery charger.
    Windows do let heat out as the best windows available are only about 1/4 as energy effecient as a wall, however the lack of light/UV is responseable for cabin fever. A dark and dreary cabin can turn into a cell, seemingly confining you.
    Wind chargers work in some areas of AK and are a failure in others. The Healy area has some wind but not all areas are so blessed. So ask around before you plan to live on a wind system. Your tower will need to be between 60 and 80 feet and should be at least 20 feet taller than any surounding trees or structures.
    Due to the permafrost, not all areas have wells. A lot of the under ground water has minerals and isn't real good.Lots of people haul there water to drink.
    If you plan on living around the Healy area choose your property wisely. It needs a southern exposure for solar panels to work, also for the radiant solar heating of a home, Houses that sit in the shade can be colder requireing more heat and more electric lighting in the fall and winter months. Black spruce thickets are a good indicator of permafrost.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

There can be much permafrost in Alaska, which is why I would stick with a custom log cabin that can work around this. There are lots of log cabin kits out there that are made specifically for these conditions. I think that would be your best option.

Around Petersville and our place, 4+ feet of snow on the ground is not unusual; w/o the cabin being 4' off the ground, we'd be tunneling to the front door and having snow block the windows.

As a weekend getaway, I'd rather burn more wood and have more natural light with big windows. It's a trade off, but I'd rather see the countryside than my cheap paneling. Put the biggest window on the south/west side, unless you have an amazing view elsewhere.

If your wood/cookstove is next to a wall it's simpler to have prep surfaces nearby. Also, you can run your stove pipe out a wall and avoid cutting the ceiling and any ice formation/leaks that might run downhill from the chimney.

Our 100w panel and a couple of 6v batteries is fine for about 7 months of weekend use. After that, we're topping off with a generator. Not enough wind to make that worthwhile for me. All about balancing upfront money for renewables, vs gas and a little hassle to fire the generator.

And my bet is 6 months in you'll be shopping for a real mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by StephanieS View Post
    There can be much permafrost in Alaska, which is why I would stick with a custom log cabin that can work around this. There are lots of log cabin kits out there that are made specifically for these conditions. I think that would be your best option.
    Just wondering, how does a custom log cabin work around "this". I'm guessing "this" is permafrost.

Building a log cabin on pillings keeps the structure from sitting on the ground absorbing solar radiation and transfering it into the permafrost melting it.

A proper log cabin is also structurally sound enough to not shift when the ground heaves or drops away. There are many instances of cabins falling into rivers after the banks have eroded, most of these cabins fall in as one complete structure. Many pictures can be found of half a cabin hanging over rushing water a simular stick frame construction would fall apart as it the ground gave way