Thread: Pedersoli Kodiak Double .58x.58

Default Pedersoli Kodiak Double .58x.58

Does anyone have any experience with this Pedersoli. It looks like a fine rifle and I am considering it after handling a couple of others that were on my list. 1 was the Lyman GPR and the other a Hawken, neither fit me worth a **** from LOP to trigger size. I am 6'4" and 200lbs so LOP was too short on both ( the curved butt plate was also to small on the GPR ) and the trigger on the Hawken was curved so much it would shred my finger upon firing.

Any first hand opinions out there ?

Thanks for the resposnes.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with this Pedersoli. It looks like a fine rifle and I am considering it after handling a couple of others that were on my list. 1 was the Lyman GPR and the other a Hawken, neither fit me worth a **** from LOP to trigger size. I am 6'4" and 200lbs so LOP was too short on both ( the curved butt plate was also to small on the GPR ) and the trigger on the Hawken was curved so much it would shred my finger upon firing.

Any first hand opinions out there ?

Thanks for the resposnes.

I haven't owned the Pedersoli 58, but I've shot it. I'm 6' 4" and 235, and it fit me like a decent shotgun. With heavy loads recoil was stout enough that I didn't want to forget and leave my thumb on top of the wrist.

I'm surprised the Lyman GPR didn't fit you. Maybe this will help: Those curved buttplates aren't intended to fit in the pocket of your shoulder like a "normal" rifle, rather they should rest out on your arm a little so the points go above and below the arm. That pushes the gun forward a little, and in fact makes the LOP just about right for my gangly long arms. There also seems to be a lot more "give" when you shoot it out there, so you can take a whole bunch more recoil than you can with even a shotgun butt nestled into the pocket of your shoulder. Takes a little practice to get use to it out there, but man, is it worth it.

I'm not sure which Hawken you're talking about the trigger on. L.E. Davis makes replacement triggers that I put on all my GPRs and my TCs. The front trigger is a straight post while the rear set trigger is curved. That's really handy for telling them apart in the heat of the action!

The same trigger unit fits both GPRs and TC Hawkens. I'm on the road right now without my favorites list, but google LE Davis and check for the model they recommend for the TC. I think they are $40 there and $42 at Track of the Wolf.

While we're on the subject of GPRs vs TC Hawkens, I find the TC comb to be waaaaay too high, more like for a scope. When I nestle my cheek down far enough to lign up the sights, That high comb feels like it's trying to take off the side of my face with heavy loads. The comb on the GPR is a bunch lower, and really lines up nice with the sights while not ripping my face. Along with the butt out on your arm, it's really a comfortable gun to shoot even with heavy loads.

Hope this helps.

Default 58 dbl pedersoli

I found that 100 grs of pyrodex and a heavy skirted minie mold from lyman gave me 3 inch groups at 100 yds...killed a fat caribou in the first black powder hunt on the denali highway several years ago. I liked the mini as it was quick to load...on that hunt it rained for 3 days but the gun still functioned when needed. good gun for the second shot.

Default are you in anchorage?

Hey 338WM are you in the anchorage area? Your post didnt say if you had handled the double pedersoli or not, but there is a used one in 54 in Great Northern Guns on Tudor just to check it out. Brown Bear is right, fits like a good shotgun and comes up just as quick.

I am in the Anchorage area, matter of fact I was in GNGs just last week, but I didn't notice that rifle while in there. Thanks for the heads up, I will make a return trip ASAP to check it out.

I have one in a 50 and like it a lot. I picked it up back in the spring because it was just one of those deals I couldn’t pass up. I have played around with it a little and really like it. It shoots good and handles pretty good as well. It is not a round ball shooter, but oh well it is as close as I am going to get to an inline. It is a fun rifle to have and my buddies talk about it all the time. I look forward to hunting with it some time. I just couldn’t put down the old Hawkins to take it this year.

I stopped by GNGs on the way home from work toady and handled the Pedersoli Kodiak .54 they had for sale. It appeared to be in good condition from what I could see. The muzzle looked clean but no way to tell what the rest of the bore is like. It is tempting to purchase.

What i am trying to do now with little success is locate load recommendations for that rifle in .58 and vs .54 . Aside form the slightly larger hole the .58 will make, is the difference in energy between the two enough to matter inside 100 yards for large and possibly dangerous game.

Does anyone know of a site where I may find a load table reflecting this rifle and loads for comparison ? The price and availability of the .54 on the rack right now make it very tempting.

I shoot both 54 and 58 in singles, both with round balls, so maybe I can help a little. The 54 is going to be a little flatter shooting out to 100 yards, unless you want to really stoke up that 58. I'm shooting 90 grains of 3f in both my 54's, sighted in dead on and hitting around 3" low at 100. My longer 58 cal (36") likes 100 grains of 3f or 120 grains of 2f, and is maybe a little lower at 100 with the same 75 yard sighting. My short 58 (26") gets a steady diet of 80 grains of 3f, though I've shot it with 120 grains of 2f. That's where it got its name: Dang!!!!! It's light enough to really boot you at 120, plus with that short barrel it's really loud and tosses lots of flame early and late in the day. My buddy named it Dang while watching me shoot it, then renamed it Double Dang when he shot it.

I haven't shot enough game with either 58 to really tell if it's got that much more whomp than my 54's. Though I will say this: I've recovered 54 cal balls from game, but never any 58's. The 54's have killed both moose and elk, and did fine. No chance yet to stick anything bigger than deer with the 58's yet, but like I said- I didn't recover any balls on the same shots that have given me back a couple of 54's.

Final thought- If a bear was being unfriendly I'd feel better using the 58 than the 54.

I'm on the road without my favorites list, so can't direct you to a site with the info you want. Worse yet, I'm away from my home library and specifically my Lyman black powder manual. The ballistic info you want is in the tables in the back of it.