Thread: Knives

Default Knives

What brand and model of knife do you prefer to carry with your outdoor gear?
    Personally I always carry a leatherman fuse as my utility knife and a custom belt knife for skinning and butchering game. The belt knife was made in the early 1990s by a knifemaker from Palmer, Alaska, it was based on a D.H.Russell Canadian belt knife design. Handle was modified to make it a little more comfortable in the hand when butchering game. Blade was made out of tool steel, handle is stag. Once you get a good edge on it stays sharp for a long time. Here is a photo of it.
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 08-02-2009 at 00:46.

I always have my Helle Eggen in my pack when i'm hunting, their great knives at a great price.

I also had a custom knife built last fall by David Wesner of Kelsey Creek Knifeworks that I was hoping to use on my sheep hunt but that (hunt) didn't work out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Dozier

I also have a Daniel Koster handmade Nessmuk with green micarta scales and a quick draw kydex sheath. I really like this knife but I am looking at selling it so I can get another with a different handle.

And lastly, I have always wanted a Bob Dozier knife and his Yukon Pro Skinner is my favorite model though he does make some others I wouldn't mind owning.

I have 2 custom knives but they both live in the safe and my orange handled cut-co's accompany me into the field.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    ...my orange handled cut-co's accompany me into the field.
    Ditto for the last 10 years...

Default pictures of your favorite

Get out your favorite knives,, even if they are knives you don't even use, but are your favorites for what ever reasons..
    I love to look at knives,, and I like stories that go with them..
    I know most of you have a knife around that you got from someone special etc..
    I was looking at how to sharpen an Ulu correctly and while taking pictures of the knife, I thought how beautiful they are,, ..
    Here is a few pictures of a pocket knife I carry now..
    Its a fun little knife, and I like the looks of it..
    One of the guys here at work asked me "what it was good for?"
    I told him" I Only use to skin Musk Ox".
    He said ,, " It doesn't get much use then huh?"
    LOL

When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Slick looking knives fellas. Love the ulu knife.

I tried to order one of the Grohman Campers. That is the Canadian company mentioned earlier I suspect. All I wanted was a black sheath, flipped them out. Just wanted it to match my black Desanti gun belt, 500 S&W holster, ammo carrier, etc.. that I take on my float trips. They said they could do it, but it would take a while. I returned that email requesting an ETA and never got a return email. Emailed them back about two weeks later, and zip. Legenday Canadian company?

I will stick with my Gerber LMF. It is heavy, but nice to have on remote float trips. Strong enough to cut small branches, gets a fire going, could be used to make a shelter, has attachements for paracord to make a spear. Butt end made for cracking glass. Very capable tool with a nice sheath with built in stone.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Utility knife

Dan, I like that kick butt utility knife, for alot of reasons.
    it is one of those knives every guy needs on every remote trip..
    and its decent steel and sharpens nice too,, great choice,, I will be getting one of those or something similar ,, gerber is good stuff.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Yeah, it is a pretty bad aff knife. I can't imagine doing anything to hurt it. Literally, it is the kind of knife you feel like you could throw at a brick wall and not be able to tell. I found a good deal if you or anyone else are interested. It is from the Sports Authority so that is reputable enough. Like $65. Normally $100 everywhere I have seen it.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/produ...ductId=2029698
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

here's a couple favorites of mine......

blackjack stag hunter 3 1/2" carbon steel drop point blade, it takes and holds an edge but is easy to resharpen. only complaint is the guard is a little big.

fallkniven f1 "pilots knife" 3 5/8" stainless laminated steel modified trailing point blade, great knife geometry and sharp as a mother-in-law's tongue. have done lots of work with this knife, and have never been disappointed.

Here is another knife I have and enjoy using for filleting salmon and trout, it is a custom knife made by Terry Knipshield of Rochester, MN. Overall length is 13 inches long, blade is 8 inches in length, handle is stag. This knife maintains an edge really well. Best knife that I have ever owned, gets a lot of use. Ocassionally I will use it to butcher a caribou.

The other photo shows a Spyderco Wegner designed folding knife, it is a good pack knife for general purpose use, tried it for skinning and butchering, it was okay. Personally I prefer a fixed blade. The second knife is also a Spyderco, Bill Moran design. Decent enough knife, good for skinning, wish it was a drop point though. Shealth has a unique belt clip, I usually clip it right to my pack. Handle on this model is very comfortable. Overall length is 8", blade is 3 3/4".
    Last edited by Nukalpiaq; 08-02-2009 at 00:46.