Thread: What kind of bullets?

Default What kind of bullets?

Looking to get into predator hunting this winter and was wonding what kind of bullet to work up for my .223. Is a FMJBT the way to go? My thoughts are small hole all the way through, what size 40g,55g,62g?
    What about a rapid expanding one such as Nosler ballistic tip or Sierra Blitz king? Small hole in and no exit hopefully because of rapid expansion. Worried about smaller game ripping in half. Again lighter bullets vs heavier.
    What about a more controlled expansion, like a bonded core or a barns type. These I am more concerned about making it all the way through and leaving a nasty hole on the other side.
    Any input welcome.

Default Bullets?

I've been doing some reading and from what I gather the heavier FMJ's at a lower velocity are better for saving fur? I'm by no means any kind of authority on the subject, Just what I remember reading.

I use 55gr FMJ's in my 223 exclusively. The coyote I shot a couple weeks ago had a small entry wound and a quarter sized exit hole. Nothing a needle, floss, and 10 minutes of my time can't handle. I have seen vmax's just rip a coyote apart and it wasn't pretty. The way I see it is with a FMJ you will need a good hit, hopefully behind the shoulder, or chest, and so on, but if you use a frangible bullet you will need a precise hit square in the center mass without hitting bone so the bullet won't seriously open up the animal. Either way you will need a well aimed shot and I prefer most of the hide in tack in comparison to scattered on the ground.

Thanks for the input,
    I heard from another guy that almost exclusivly hunts wolves. He uses a 40g blitz king. He said it has a tiny entry and no exit. The bullet grenades inside. He also advised using a well placed shot. He said a graze in the abdominal area will gut the animal for you making the fur almost useless. Keep the input coming, I would much prefer to avoid someone elses mistakes.

Default body mass

Another thing to consider is the size of animal you are shooting at. There is a big diff. between fox and coyote, and another diff. again between coyote and wolf. It's really hard in my opinion to have the perfect round for all three in the same package. Just some more of my thoughts.

I have heard rumors that there are some proposals to outlaw FMJ bullets in the southeast. Anyone hear anything about that?