Thread: Info for .45-70 Reloaders

Default Info for .45-70 Reloaders

I thought anyone who reloads for .45-70 would be interested in this.

It has been a few months since I bought some bullets and I was browsing for some for the .45-70 and came across some bullet selections that might interest you that were both news to me.

If you have used Hornady LEVERevolution, in the past it looks like you will soon be able to buy the bullets used in that ammo. Check out the following at the bottom of the page.

https://www.hornady.com/shop/?ps_ses...37a81825e37bab

Also, it looks like they now make the Barnes triple shock x-bullet in a 250 gr variety. I was familiar with the 300gr and did not know they started making the 250gr. This 250gr should make some pretty interesting loads as you could push it pretty fast to get a relatively (relative to most .45-70 rounds) flat shooting round.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tsx-bullet/

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    Also, it looks like they now make the Barnes triple shock x-bullet in a 250 gr variety. I was familiar with the 300gr and did not know they started making the 250gr. This 250gr should make some pretty interesting loads as you could push it pretty fast to get a relatively (relative to most .45-70 rounds) flat shooting round.
    I'm hoping it shoots well enough for varminting. In the 444 Marlin and in my 44 cal wildcat based on the 45-70 case it's possible to shoot the light 180 grain .429 pistol bullets at really high velocities. They're flat shooting in both and pretty good varmint bullets in the 444 because they come apart so easily. But that's a problem in the wildcat. I can nudge them over 3000 fps, but at that point they leave a blue streak on their way toward the target, and in fact never get there. I'm sure the Barnes will hold together better, but I'm wondering if they'll give varmint accuracy at top speeds.

Only one way to find out. Now where is that Midway catalog.

Too bad the bullet diameter is different for the .45-70 and the other .45 cal. pistol bullets or you would have quite a bit of bullet weight selection to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    Too bad the bullet diameter is different for the .45-70 and the other .45 cal. pistol bullets or you would have quite a bit of bullet weight selection to work with.
    That's why I went with the .429 wildcat on the 45-70 case. I shoot cheap pistol bullets most of the time, but switch to 300 grain and heavier for hunting the big stuff. Works great.