Thread: Near Misses

Red face Near Misses

I got up at 0-dark:30 this morning to find a Sitka Blacktail.

Turns out I got up too early for hunting. I hiked in by headlamp and had to sit tight 'till there was enough light to see crosshairs.

By 9 or 9:30 I'd hunted my way uphill, and was sitting half out of the rain in some hemlock branches at the edge of a snowy muskeg with a couple of scraped trees. I blew the call and counted off a little more than a minute. Then the next thing I knew, I woke up to see a buck 90 or 100 yards out, already most of the way across the muskeg, trotting for the trees.

I thumbed the safety and the scope caps, and raised the rifle in time to see the back half of the deer disappear into the trees through my scope. Only deer I saw all morning.

How about you? Any good stories of near misses on game you'd care to share?

My cuz and I were sheep hunting this year and were nestled near the top of the mountain relaxing in the first bit of sunshine we had seen on the hunt. He had brought his 45/70 in case we chanced on a bear which was the leverage I used to convince him to head out with me. Well sitting with 2 days left on the hunt and finding nothing closer than a 2 day hike away the success of our hunt was looking pretty grim. Suddenly I feel a nudge in the ribs and the muffled "BEAR" from my now very excited partner. I look around and sure enough a 5'5-6' boar blackie is about 700yds below and working his way up towards us. Given the bleak outlook on sheep we quickly decided to make a play on the bear. The hurried plan is a good one. We head straight back over the crest of the mountain and work our way down the offside of the ridge. We have to move about 400yds like that peaking back over a couple times to check the bruins progress. Both times he had his bead buried in berries and was continuing up toward us. Finally I pull up 132 yards at a good vantage point slide a round in the chamber and set back to watch my cuz finish the stalk. Well with the wind perfect he continues down the backside of a spine to within 100 yards. He finally moves into the open and the bear is still oblivious to his presence. He covers another 25 yards and the bear turns broadside. The opportunity is perfect I hear the boom of rifle and the bear starts to roll....no he is not rolling he is standing.... He spots my cuz and sets a record pace down the mountain. I tried to follow up but I had to wait till the bear opened the shooting angle away from my cousin and all my shot did was displace some air molecules on its way down the mountain. A little testing showed that my partners rifle was shooting 8" high, add to that the shot was downhill and you get a clean miss

Vindication was found that night however as a smaller sow wondered into camp and he got his bear without all the hassle of hiking it back over the mountain.

I was alpine deer hunting two years ago. we saw nothing most of the day but we came over the ridge to find two nice bucks bedded down so I lied down took aim shot the deer stood up looked around so I shot again and that took him down when I got down to the deer I found my first bullet hole, right through his ear. so I guess I didn't really miss but it amazes me that the deer didn't just take off running

I've been pretty fortunate, after getting my elk last month and then helping the daughter to get a nice six point whitetail buck, I decided that I'd hold out for a nice shooter buck here in northern Idaho.

I climbed in the stand on the back of our place last Monday evening and sat quietly and about 90 minutes before dark a nice fat turkey came along on the trail near my stand. I dared not move as the big hen ambled along pecking and looking out for danger.
    I heard what sounded like the rest of the flock working up the ravine on my left. I slowly glanced over and there below my stand was a big mature ten pointer and a big doe.
    I eased off my safety and tried to lift my gun when the sling squeeked--grrrrrr!! The hen bolted and then both deer did too.

The big buck returned right at dark when a small doe meandered under my stand. He came back up the ravine under darkness to try to tend the unwilling doe and then he returned up the other side out of sight. His grunts and snorts were pretty awesome to watch and hear. It was several minutes past legal shooting light and I had to let him walk.
    It was a wild night on stand that should have been one with lots of venison and a trophy rack. My impatience, noisy sling and that dang turkey cost me.

A few more evenings to try for him; he's still here, I saw his tracks in the snow this morning...

Default Missing the mark is never fun!

Let's see..this year i have missed a mountain goat, a nice big 3by3 buck-- make that two nice bucks and a lot of ducks---all which I learned some hard lessons from--like shooting at steep angles---hold low. keep swinging through after you've pulled the trigger and more birds willl fall out of the sky. I can honestly say that all the hunts were great and even though it would have been fun to bag them all , the hunt was a success and that God made some awesome country up here for man to play in. I am so thankful for the opportunity to be able to live in such a place. Happy huntin and good shootin'.

Default Just a note

I thought this was an alaska hunting forum--not northern idaho??

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    I thought this was an alaska hunting forum--not northern idaho??
    Rep point given......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Threads specifically about hunting elsewhere are moved to the out and about forum. Comments that relate to threads posted here but that mention hunting elsewhere are certainly welcome to stay in this forum. Thanks for asking.