Thread: one unhappy little bear

Unhappy one unhappy little bear

was over to macdonald spit today to pick some folks up from their cabin.
    just before i got there a little blackie showed up and their lab treed it next to the deck. cub of the year, maybe #35. felt sorry for him with no mama to show him what to do...:(
    of course "cuddly" as he may have looked i know that he would opened me from stem to stern had i tried to "help" him...
    if he's lucky he will scavenge some sea duck carcasses and maybe hole up under a cabin for the winter, but realistically i doubt he will make it... too bad.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

If all it weighed was 35 lb by this point in the year, that cub isn't likely to last at all.

The young of the year around Southeast are the size of a good-sized black lab (with shorter legs and neck) when the snow falls. And they usually share a den with their sow.

I'm afraid that little fella sounds an awful lot like scavenger food...

Not sure what bear season is there or if it is legal to even shoot a motherless cub...seems a shame to let the little guy suffer wandering about hungry.

Default always bear season here.

one from jan 1 to june 30th, one from july 1 to dec 31st, but taking a cub ( defined as a bear in it's 1st year of life) is prohibited.
    i don't know that i could have brought myself to shoot him anyway... more likely i would have attempted a bear rodeo and taken him to our area bio.
    he would have been thrilled. (NOT)
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Poor guy

Sucks to not be able to help but it's natures way.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    Not sure what bear season is there or if it is legal to even shoot a motherless cub...seems a shame to let the little guy suffer wandering about hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    one from jan 1 to june 30th, one from july 1 to dec 31st, but taking a cub ( defined as a bear in it's 1st year of life) is prohibited.
    i don't know that i could have brought myself to shoot him anyway... more likely i would have attempted a bear rodeo and taken him to our area bio.
    he would have been thrilled. (NOT)

this summer up here a bartender had to shoot a sow bear, this bear had been a problem for a few weeks and the trooper had been called every day of those weeks..

on the day the sow was shot she was headed directly at a group of young kids playing in the housing next to the lodge.

dog was out and momma bear headed straight at them. the bar tender used her rifle and shot the bear and called the troopers..

the 3 cubs were still over momma the entire time... F&G bio up here did all he could to find them homes, however blackies are prevalent and Zoos and such would not take them..

the Bio had to put each of them down..

on marks comment.. NO you may not shoot an orphan in any circumstance.. with out written permission from the state of AK,

and on Dave's Both individuals were really shaken by having to put down a momma, and the cubs.. it is never easy. the bar tender being a mother herself. shed many tears over the entire deal... and they are hunters as well...but if you rodeo up a cub, chances are you waisted your time
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here