Thread: 30 calbiber bullet sizes

Default 30 calbiber bullet sizes

what grain bullets are available for 30 calliber rifles. I was thinking 95 to 220. Is that correct.

Barnes used to (and still might) make a 250. Woodleigh makes a 240.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by mp214parks View Post
    what grain bullets are available for 30 calliber rifles. I was thinking 95 to 220. Is that correct.
    That is a pretty accurate range for mainstream 30 Caliber .308 bullets. You can find them sub-90gr and 240gr+ - (Hornady, Sierra, and Woodleigh that I know of) - but these will generally be specific to a certain round.

It is unlikely that one rifle would fire the whole mainstream spectrum of 30cal bullets very well if at all, depending on the rifle platform (bolt gun versus AR), barrel rifling twist rate, etc. For instance, I only reload and fire from 147gr to 180gr in one of my .308 rifles because that range is consistently accurate through that barrel and functions well in that rifle.

Others could go deeper into what weight bullets function well in what twist rates and what the ideal range is for a specific caliber round. Each platform, rifle, and barrel is different, so get guidance on a general range for a specific caliber rifle and then experiment with bullets of different weights.

The 30-06 has the greatest range of bullet choices of any cartridge period since the 240 by Woodleigh was made specifically for the 30-06 and lighter bullets under 125gr can not take the velocities of the 300mags.

Now that said, I have the following loads that shoot under and inch at 100yds in my Mark V Custom, Savage 116 and my Sako TRG Custom.

125gr Sierra Game King (MarK V, Savage, Sako)
    150gr Sierra Game King (MarK V, Savage, Sako)
    150gr Nosler Accubond (Mark V, Sako)
    150gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (Mark V, Savage)
    165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip (Mark V, Savage Sako)
    165gr Sierra Game King HPBT (Mark V, Savage)
    168gr Barnes TSX (Mark V, Sako)
    180gr Barnes TSX (Mark V, Savage, Sako)
    190gr Sierra Match King (Mark V, Savage, Sako)
    200gr Sierra Game King (Mark V, Savage, Sako)
    220gr Sierra Game King (Mark V, Savage)
    240gr Woodleigh Protected Point (Mark V, Savage)

The 30-06 if understood and loaded correctly for is and outstanding cartridge and it is hard to find a well make factory or custom 30-06 that can not handle a lot of bullets. (These bullets were tested in these rifles over the last five years with the Woodleigh and Barnes TSX with in the last year).

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYBODY !!!!!!!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS