Thread: winter surf fishing??

Default winter surf fishing??

This past summer I discovered and enjoyed the sport of surf fishing around the Kodiak Island road system. I had some success but only managed about four trips and only two different spots. I would like to continue honeing my skills and get some fresh white fish to eat. Does anyone know if flounder/sole and cod move deep with the halibut in the winter or is there some resident fish to be caught?? Also do the small non breeder halibut all move deep to or is there still butts to be caught in the cold months?? Has anyone had a chance to try near any canneries? Seems to me all of the fish and fish biproducts that end up in the water must draw in some halibut and cod.. Any advice or comments on near shore winter fishing would be great!

Mark

I've caught flounder and cod off the Homer Spit in March/April surf fishing.

I've never tried it in Kodiak.

Are we talking eating size cod and flounder or juveniles? When you say cod, do you mean pacific cod/grey cod or sablefish?? Flounder? starry,arrowtooth,yellow fin sole,rock sole? Other than the lack of halibut would you say that the other species are equally abundant during the winter as in the summer months??

plenty of fish to catch all year in Kodiak...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by buttchaser View Post
    Are we talking eating size cod and flounder or juveniles?.
    Both eating size and species for both cod and flounder.

......When you say cod, do you mean pacific cod/grey cod or sablefish??.....
    Looked like grey cod to me.

....Flounder? starry,arrowtooth,yellow fin sole,rock sole?.........
    Now I'm not sure. I don't believe they were arrowtooth. I ate 'em. They were good.

.....Other than the lack of halibut would you say that the other species are equally abundant during the winter as in the summer months??
    I can't say. I'll only say that the cod and flounder were there in early spring, harbor porpoises were there, belugas were there, eagles were there, and I was told that dollies were there.

Haha yes powder monkey, I have grown up on the island paradise and can attest to the fact that there is more than enough fish to go around all year...freshwater species anyways. My last ice fishing trip (last weekend) we even pulled four silvers through the ice, pretty exciting especialy when you are assumeing its a massive dollie or rainbow haha. I have also commercial fished the kodiak area waters and the aleutians all the way to adak, but have never tried the salt in the winter. Does anyone know if halibuthunter still uses these forums?? I read a post of his on stripers online, but found it to be very general.... get out deep and use bait that wont come off. I would love to pick his brain haha. Well thanks for the replies and keep them comeing. Good fishing to everyone.. by the way anyone else from kodiak use this forum??

Quote Originally Posted by buttchaser View Post
    by the way anyone else from kodiak use this forum??
    I do but I've only been here 9 months now

when I lived their a few years ago I would fish off APS dock and catch small halibut and cod right in town all winter long

haha I've fished the aps dock in the summer when I was salmon fishing as a kid, were you working there or did they just let you walk right out?? Also, bait or artificials or both?

Let me just go out their when no boats and fresh salted herring I found worked best

Thanks for the tip, I tried the city dock(right next to aps) and a spot on the opposite end of the channel as well as another spot in Anton Larsen bay. Little success if any, Four sculpin and two greenling. Were you weeding through lots of "trash" fish to get at the cod and halibut? Also were you casting out to deeper water or fishing right off the dock?

Ive lived in Kodiak for about 5 years, but this is my first full winter. Have you had any success with flounder/cod/halibut yet this winter? I have been wanting to catch some flounder or anything at all this winter. I had some decent success fishing off my sit on top kayak in late fall for halibut, but it seems too cold to go out right now.
    Does anyone know what would be at mission beach this time of year?

RastaHunter,

Are you the owner of the Big Game I saw on top of a jeep last summer?

Quote Originally Posted by RastaHunter View Post
    Does anyone know what would be at mission beach this time of year?
    Nothing but sculpins...

I've fished that pretty hard for rockfish didn't get a hit all day, then I caught a silver... go figure

I would like to try around abercrombie and the backside of near island maybe by anywhere they are processing fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I did have a jeep last summer, but unfortunately, no big game on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Nothing but sculpins...

I've fished that pretty hard for rockfish didn't get a hit all day, then I caught a silver... go figure

I would like to try around abercrombie and the backside of near island maybe by anywhere they are processing fish
    The backside of near island would be a good idea. You could launch a kayak from the floatplane dock and the water is fairly deep between there and holiday island. What kind of fish would you target there?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Nothing but sculpins...

Try Gibson Cove. You'll like it.

Halibut have been caught here within the past few days. PM me if anyone wants to go. I have been taking out my skiff. There are chickens in close, despite what people will tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    Try Gibson Cove. You'll like it.
    Is Gibson cove where the fish meal plant is? Right before the overlook on deadman's curve? I'm gonna try it today with some herring.

Gibson cove today, for a few hours. Inconclusive results. One flounder, one starfish, three sculpins, and I think I had on a small octopus. Never caught an octopus before, but it sure looked like one coming in. It fell off right by shore. The outlet pipe is really far out, my the mouth of the bay. I have caught lots of fish where that pipe spits out but only in the summer.