Thread: Bullet Puller

Default Bullet Puller

Hey guys, I've got an odd question for ya. An idiot buddy of mine screwed up my reloading dies, changing the seating depth. (silly me, i just assumed they were where i left them) anyhow, the bullets (2 of em) seated too deep, almost to the point where it starts to curve into the nose of the bullet.

Anyhow, my rcbs bullet puller isnt doing a thing to these. any other ideas on how to pull the bullets out?

Default bullet pulling

Two ways I have used before.
    1-Run the cartridge up to the top of the press with no die installed. grab the bullet with a pair of large dykes, then lower the cartridge with the arm of the press slowly pulling the bullet out as you go.
    2-Fire the cartridge in your gun and start over.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_in_AK View Post
    Two ways I have used before.
    1-Run the cartridge up to the top of the press with no die installed. grab the bullet with a pair of large dykes, then lower the cartridge with the arm of the press slowly pulling the bullet out as you go.
    2-Fire the cartridge in your gun and start over.
    I thought about firing it, but im not quite sure how it would react. Guess I'll just have to try the dykes.

Thanks

Swing harder. I have yet to have my RCBS bullet puller fail to pull a bullet.

I would say just shoot them also but for some staight wall cases seating depth can affect pressures a lot.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Be careful with the "shoot it out" method. Bullets seated that deep could elevate pressures, perhaps dangerously. I'd either swing harder, use the dikes/vicegrips method, or chuck the entire round and call it a wash.

Chris

Smile Inertia hammer

It doesn't sound like you have an inertia hammer style bullet puller or else you probably would have tried that, but I thought I would mention it anyway. I probably have the same RCBS collet puller that you have and it works great.......usually. I also keep on hand, an inertia hammer also made by RCBS. I usually use it when I am readjusting my seater die and I go to far and seat the bullet a few thousands deeper than I want. I put the round in the hammer and tap it a few times just to bump the bullet out a little bit and go about readjusting the seater again.

In my experience, it seldom takes more than 2 good wacks with the RCBS puller. Give it a good wack and see if there is any movement, and repeat. If there is movement, it will surely be out in 3 or 4 wacks. If no movement after a couple of good wacks I would just toss the rounds... not worth firing through your barrel unless the brass is real spendy.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Swing harder. I have yet to have my RCBS bullet puller fail to pull a bullet.

I would say just shoot them also but for some staight wall cases seating depth can affect pressures a lot.

I've bent a couple of the inertia bullet pullers swinging harder, and ended up throwing out some loads I couldn't pull. if you put a heavy crimp on 'em, it can be a booger to get 'em pulled. No way I'd shoot one seated too deep though..especially since mine are usually close to max loads.

My rcbs would break before it bent but I dont know what it would take to break it. I have used cinder block as a backstop and it just busts up the block.

Curious what cartridge rounds are these?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    In my experience, it seldom takes more than 2 good wacks with the RCBS puller. Give it a good wack and see if there is any movement, and repeat. If there is movement, it will surely be out in 3 or 4 wacks. If no movement after a couple of good wacks I would just toss the rounds... not worth firing through your barrel unless the brass is real spendy.
    i hear ya. Figure its some .223 55gr horniday v-max that i picked up before the elections. I've had nothing but trouble with these. Its almost like my press doesnt like them. The poly tips broke on 4 of em, causing them to seat off center and bend the brass, etc.

Im going to give them a few good whacks on friday and see what happens if i cant get them loose with the dykes.

What is a good way to get rid of ammo you cant unload or shoot?

i use the inertia type from midway and it works great for all calibers. it even will pop military rounds! i use a softwood block which seems to be easy on the equipment. using the collet type the bullet is usually destroyed.

note to self..........get bullet puller.

happy trails
    jh

I guess i should have clarified. It is an inertial puller. I just wasnt quite sure what to call it, since it had "sort of" a collet inside of the handle. Slides down and locks around the rim of the shell.

Happy turkey day everyone

Default Bending handle

For those bending the handle on an inertia puller. I will try to explain how to stop the bent handles. This happens when trying to hit harder and using a drive the nail with a hammer style. Hold the handle with a light grip and swing with a lot of head speed but let the puller rebound in your grip.
    The handle bends backward when you use a heavy handgrip and you are still appling pressure to the handle when the head stops. So light grip and a lot of head speed and I have never had a bullet that couldn't be pulled. And the lighter the bullet the harder to pull. ( less enertia)

I bet 223's would be a lot harder to pull as the bullets dont weigh anything.

I would not spend much time with them myself.

To get rid of them just toss them in the trash can...thats what I do.

As a side note I would expect the 223 to be finicky about seating depth and pressure more so than larger volume cases so I would think twice before just shooting them if you load to max.