Thread: Duracoat

Default Duracoat

Anyone know where to get Duracoat around Fairbanks/North Pole area...??? Thanks in advance

Mark

See here.

I got an email from them after an inquiry. They do not ship to Alaska, and there is no dealer in Alaska.

Thanks Mark....that leaves me only three words........That just SUCKS!!!!!!

Mark

No kidding.

Somebody gave me advice on a firearm paint that Brownell markets, but that, too, isn't available in Alaska.

Apparently, there's a hazmat thing going on.

This will require some research............

Ya I read the thread that you supplied and also saw that. I really dont want to spray paint the gun but the options arent looking to good. Im going to do some research and Ill let you know what I find out. Worst case scenerio Ill have a buddy pick some up and send it up here....I wonder if you airbrush using a flat car paint....I think Ill experiment this weekend....

Default Call

Why don't you guys give Lynden, Span Alaska, Pacific Alaska Forwarders, or American Fast Freight a call and see if it can be shipped to their dock in Tacoma, and then loaded on a steamship to Anchorage? You would have to pay Hazmat fees, but I'm sure you could get it here. If you get a big enough order from different people, there would just be one fee I believe.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

For what it's worth I've seen Duracoat at sportsmans last year. The guy behind the counter didn't know what I was talking about but when i wondered down towards the scope rings they had a little display box of duracoat.

Maybe get in touch with these guys. They are supposedly the only Duracoat certified finishers in the state. If they are a certified finisher, they are getting it somehow...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Maybe get in touch with these guys. They are supposedly the only Duracoat certified finishers in the state. If they are a certified finisher, they are getting it somehow...
    Wow! Thanks for that tip. I'll contact them and fill you all in on what I learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Wow! Thanks for that tip. I'll contact them and fill you all in on what I learn.
    You da man! One guy doin the footwork instead of a dozen calling asking the same question would probably benefit them as well. Rep points comin your way for the effort...

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    You da man! One guy doin the footwork instead of a dozen calling asking the same question would probably benefit them as well. Rep points comin your way for the effort...
    Why, thank you!

Email has been sent. When I get a response, I'll let you all know.

Default check out

www.blackicecoatings.com. Lee specializes in teflon coatings. He does the work for Christensen Arms. I have sent my guns to him and he does excellent work. Prices are very reasonable. His website has pics and lots of info.

Default Duracoat...

Check with the owner of the computer shop in the mall at North Pole. It is by the north entrance to the hardware store. I know he has done several guns and has the duracoat on hand. Don't know if he sells it, but I know he is doing folks' guns for them. Good luck!

Just got off the phone with the guy from North Pole Computers, he has it there but doesnt sell it, I also asked how he is getting it and he said Midway.....I also sent an email to the guy in Eagle River....THanks for all the help guys....

I just looked up Midway also and they will ship to North Pole and will ship it through the postal service...The shipping is also reasonable even if you send it UPS....Looks like Midway is getting my business....Thanks All

Mark

I just tried to order some Duracoat products from Midway, and during the "checkout" phase, I got the following message in a pop-up:

Federal, state, or local law prohibits us from sending the following item(s) to the shipping address you entered:

Aerosol containers, solvents and cleaners cannot be shipped by air so these items cannot be sent to your shipping address.
    Please remove the item(s) from your Shopping Cart and begin the checkout process again, or close this window and try entering a different shipping address. NOTE: We cannot ship to a P.O. Box by UPS or send hazardous materials (e.g., aerosols, flammable liquids, loaded ammunition, primed brass, and etc.) by USPS......
    I have not gotten a response from my email to Custom Firearm Finishes in Eagle River.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    .....Email has been sent. When I get a response, I'll let you all know.
    The email:

I was trying to buy some Duracoat paint, but they wouldn't ship up here, and said there wasn't a dealer here.

But you're getting it. How can I get some? Can I buy it from you, or do I
    have to hire you to paint my gun?

I'm willing to do that if the price is right.

Mark
    The response:

Mark, sorry for the delayed response, Just got home again.

We don't sell the paint itself, I only order a few times a year and we stay busy enough just doing the refinishing and gunsmithing.

If you need some help getting your firearms back to looking like new again, we'd be happy to help. There are plenty of photos and a pretty comprehensive price list on the website, these should help you with ideas and costs.

Please let me know if you have any further questions that I can help you with.

Regards,
    Les
    I've pretty much run out of options. I guess I'll have to use a different paint product or hire him.

His prices.

I don't know why they said they won't ship it to Alaska. I've bought Duracoat before, directly from Lauer Weaponry.

When they shipped it to me, they sent it UPS, 2nd Day Air and I paid a Haz-Mat fee. Shipping was close to $50 for my small package. I paid an arm and a leg for shipping, but I got what I needed.

I just got this e-mail from LW last week:
    Merry Christmas! Christmas is upon us again and we here at DuraCoat want to pass along a little holiday savings. We are offering free shipping on DuraCoat "wet" products from now until December 31 at midnight on orders of $50.00 or more. You must mention this email when ordering to receive the free shipping. Happy Holidays
    I would call them again and mention the e-mail.

Good luck.

If nothing else, I've got some left over matte black that I'm not going to use. If you know someone that will be swinging through Anchorage, I'd be glad to hand it off to them for you.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    ....I've bought Duracoat before, directly from Lauer Weaponry.

When they shipped it to me, they sent it UPS, 2nd Day Air and I paid a Haz-Mat fee. Shipping was close to $50 for my small package. I paid an arm and a leg for shipping, but I got what I needed..........I would call them again and mention the e-mail........
    Thanks for that information, Dan. I can be persistent. Since I have a few firearms I'd like to camo up, and I used to custom paint cars in my younger days, I'd like to give this a try myself rather than hire somebody else.

I'll try getting the skinny on UPS and their HasMat fee situation, and try Lauer again...........