Thread: Which Boat to Get

Default Which Boat to Get

I joined this forum several months ago mainly for the hunting and fishing aspects but have been very impressed by all the boat info on here. Anyway, I have been in the market for an ocean boat for several months now but the wife pushed for the house first. Now that we have that settled it is time to start looking for a boat to put in the side yard. I am hoping to keep my costs in the 30K range possibly as high as 35K. I am looking for something to take out in PWS, Homer, and Seward. Ideally I am looking for an aluminum with hard-top and if possible a head for those extended multi-day trips. This seems hard to come by in my price range so I am realistic that I may have to give up something. I would prefer to stay aluminum if possible.

Any suggestions on which boats and models to look at. I know I will have to probably go used. What are your thoughts on the boats you own and have owned. I have been looking primarily at Hewescrafts and Woolys. When is the best time to buy in say the next 3-5 months. I am assuming spring is a bad time due to demand but some have suggested after the boat show. Where are places to look other than craigslist. I've got that pretty well covered.

Decent deals pop up here once in a while: http://www.907bigboytoys.com/index.php?a=5&b=190

Finding a hardtop aluminum for 35k could be difficult, but these are hungry times and cash is king. The hewescraft line, weldcraft, and wooldridge all deserve a look. If you went fiberglass this would easily be a possibility. Good luck!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Yeah I agree. Given that this boat will sit outside and that I just prefer aluminum I think it is worth the wait to try and find one. Trust me, if I had the resources and could afford the fuel...I would have a picture very similar to yours. One can dream though.

I started with a zodiak, then moved up to an 18 foot klamath, then a 24 foot hewescraft, and finally the GC. Good deals are out there. Keep looking.

Talking

Thanks for the encouragment. I'll give you $35k for you GC when you are ready to upgrade. Of course then I'll need you to loan me some of that money back for the gas....

Going used is definitely the way to go. People underestimate how much it costs to outfit the boat once it is in your yard! Buying a new hull/motor/trailer is just the beginning. There are some KILLER deals out there on used boats, people aren't able to get money out of the "extras" usually.

This is also a good time of year to be buying (actually a month ago would have been better), folks don't want to store them all winter.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud...I was on the verge of getting a boat a few months back when the wife pushed the house. Thankfully that went pretty quick so we could get settled and get our finances all figured out. Your right though, there sure was alot more to choose from a few months back.

Spoiled One....that one will definitely go on the list. Right now I have a few others listed higher since they have a full hardtop which is good for winter hunting trips. But a huge appreciation for helping out.

If you gotta have aluminum, you're going to pay. Seems like the lowest price I've seen lately on a 22' Hewes hardtop with extended transom is ~$40k.

On the other hand, there have been a couple of examples of high quality glass boats (Olympic in particular) offered with recent 4-stroke outboard power for well within your dollar limits. If the weather was snotty, I'd much rather be riding in an Olympic hardtop 23-26 footer than a 22' hewes.

Default Boating Websites

Here are some of the more popular websites. I think after a full review you will find that Hewescraft will hold there value as good or better than most.
    Keep in mond that some of these are stateside. For the most part you will get a better deal for the local suppliers.

http://www.deweysmarine.com/index.html

http://www.boattrader.com/search/

http://www.brinsfield.com/genwebpage.ihtml?formid=4

http://www.clemensmarina.com/

http://batterytender.com/ These are great battery chargers.
    I believe they are available locally at batteries plus

http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit...93300527-96-01 service manuals - after market

Once you decide on a boat don’t limit your search to Alaska, look outside you can save a bundle; I did.
    If you’re considering a glass boat even a little, go here:
    http://www.c-brats.com/portal.php

A great bunch of folks and a wonderful line of boats.

Good luck,

Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default I agree about C-Dory. I am biased as I have one.

However, with that said, CD 22s are for sale seldom up here. And, you'd never guess why. But, here's a hint: they are easily trailerable, very fuel efficient, very comfortable for those that are not speed demons and are plenty happy cruising at 20 or so MPH, have a decent cabin for 3 or 4 people for a weekend trip, and will take extremely rough seas if you happen to get caught. But, the down side, they are not cheap. However, I do think, after a good deal of searching, that you could get a very nice one for 25-35 thousand dollars even up here.

Thanks for all the info. I'm am not totally opposed to fiberglass just that aluminum seems to fit my situation better. The boat will have to be stored outside as I don't have a garage big enough to put it in. Also, aluminum boats just seem to hold up better sitting out in the weather. The house we recently purchased has an RV storage area in back so its a perfect spot to put a boat....at least that's what I told the wife.... I have looked at seasports, ospreys, whalers, C-dory, and others but I keep coming back to aluminum. If I could find a good glass boat I might got that route but I would have to really consider how to take care of it sitting out all winter. I try to take great care of my equipment so its important to me to keep it in top shape.

I have pretty much had boats or one in my family all my life. I just sold my older boat when I moved up here so I am pretty well outfitted. I have jackets, sonar, down riggers, tons of fishing gear, all the safety essentials, etc. About all I don't have for up here is a VHF radio and enough rope and anchor for the salt. A sonar would probably be nice too. So my outfitting costs should be less than mosts.

Thanks again for all the advice. I have come across several sea runners in my ball park. No marine head but like I said earlier I will probably have to give in on something. There is also an Ocean Pro out there listed for 40K. I could probably get him down to the high end of my range. So there are options. Anyway, keep the ideas coming and if anyone has or comes across something I would love to hear about it.

Have a great turkey day.

Default Check out the Almar

on Craigslist (Alaska listing) in California; general consensus is that you cannot beat a boat in that size range for a serious boat. We had a smaller one (17') that was built like a tank. You often see those Sounders in charter boat duty. For your budget, you'd be able to trailer it up to AK (especially with gas prices right now) and pick up a kicker, radar, whatever else it might need. You just never seem to hear negatives on those boats.
    Jim

I saw that boat on there and wondered about it. Don't know anything about the brand. What do people think. Also, I was looking for an outboard as it seems the I/Os are higher maintenance. I use to have one in my older boat. It was kind of a pain. Anyway, what do people think about these boats.

I haven't been on it in quite a while, but check out Almar's website. I remember them having quite a few boats in service in law enforcement, fire & rescue, etc. Says something about the build quality. I/O's can be an issue, but over the years it seems lots of that has to do with maintenance. I'm not just talking about scheduled maintenance, I mean checking things more often: condition of lower unit oil, rubber boots, u-joints, etc.
    I deckhanded on 2 different boats over a 4 year period; both had twin Volvo diesels with outdrives (older boat had single prop drives, newer boat had duoprop drives). Both of those boats went over 5,000 hrs without major issues. I'm not a big fan of I/O's in the sense that they take up interior room and cost of parts when smacking something, but considering that Almar has a newer powerplant (most likely newer drive) problems should be minimal. I also don't like the idea of keeping a I/O boat in a slip long term but sounds like yours will be kept at your house. One other thing, I/O's seem to have problems when pushing large, planing, heavy boats but the 24' Almar seems ideal for what it has for power.
    Good luck,
    Jim
    PS---the boats I worked on were operated year-round (Kauai), sometimes 7 days a week, 2 trips a day, plus running those outdrives tilted way up to clear the sand & reef; they don't like being dropped on a coralhead however!