Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: limits of politics?

Default limits of politics?

While looking through the GD forum I was wondering if there was any way we could get a description or definition of what is considered politics?

Quote Originally Posted by big_dog60 View Post
    While looking through the GD forum I was wondering if there was any way we could get a description or definition of what is considered politics?
    It's whatever they say it is
    Apparently state politics may float depending who you are...like increasing hunting and fishing Tags/licensing fees on redistributed state funds..ect
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them." Paul Valery.

I know the above quote does not answer your question "...description or definition of what is considered politics?" or define what happened to ban 'politics and religion' discussions on this forum but it does define 'politics' pretty well imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    Apparently state politics may float depending who you are...like increasing hunting and fishing Tags/licensing fees on redistributed state funds..ect
    Despite your accusations of favortism, we've been quite clear from the start that discussion of fish and game management is most welcome in those specific forums. It has nothing to do with who you are.

Give it a rest, please.

Unfortunately, I don't know that a black-and-white definition is possible. We recognize that there is going to be some gray areas here, and when something is questionable we'll try to deal with it in a respectful manner.

Perfecting the new system will take patience and grace on both sides.

I know it is a difficult thing, but I was hoping for some sort of guidlines. With some of the recent accusations, I was wondering if we needed some sort of guide.

A good politician can weave his way through the maze

Mine
    His
    Unfortunately, I don't know that a black-and-white definition is possible. We recognize that there is going to be some gray areas here, and when something is questionable we'll try to deal with it in a respectful manner.
    Sounds like the answer I gave but with more PC
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

So since it can't be defined is there a way to get the ok for posting a subject?

So since it can't be defined is there a way to get the ok for posting a subject?
    If it's questionable I would PM Brian M.... or it might bite you in the butt later.

Mark

Originally Posted by big_dog60
    Politics:

–noun (used with a singular or plural verb)
    1. the science or art of political government.
    2. the practice or profession of conducting political affairs.
    3. political affairs: The advocated reforms have become embroiled in politics.
    4. political methods or maneuvers: We could not approve of his politics in winning passage of the bill.
    5. political principles or opinions: We avoided discussion of religion and politics. His politics are his own affair.
    6. use of intrigue or strategy in obtaining any position of power or control, as in business, university, etc.
    7. (initial capital letter, italics) a treatise (4th century b.c.) by Aristotle, dealing with the structure, organization, and administration of the state, esp. the city-state as known in ancient Greece.

—Idiom

8. play politics. a. to engage in political intrigue, take advantage of a political situation or issue, resort to partisan politics, etc.; exploit a political system or political relationships.
    b. to deal with people in an opportunistic, manipulative, or devious way, as for job advancement.
    Ultimately, I think Buster is correct:

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Buster View Post
    It's whatever they say it is ........

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    "Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them." Paul Valery.
    Diplomacy is the art of letting other people get your way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is that your quote or from another source....regardless I like it.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AVALANCHE View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    Is that your quote or from another source....regardless I like it.
    It's from an inspirational poster I have in my garage. Author unknown.

Under a definition like that many controvercial things would be fair game. Since I think the intent of the politics and religion ban is to bring civility to the forum, I suspect that controvercial subjects such as global warming would also be looked at unfavorably. but where the line is drawn seems a bit questionable.

If I understand correctly, you can't say that the governor is wasting tax money campaigning in Georgia for Saxby Chambliss (a crooked nimwit from my home town). This type of discussion is not welcome here. You can say that the economy is in the toilet.

Is that about right?
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Quote Originally Posted by Phish Finder View Post
    If I understand correctly, you can't say that the governor is wasting tax money campaigning in Georgia for Saxby Chambliss (a crooked nimwit from my home town). This type of discussion is not welcome here. You can say that the economy is in the toilet.

Is that about right?

Someone is begging to get circumblinged........

(P.S. GREAT post)
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

"get the ok?"
    Wow. What the heck?!

Like many here, I have many hundreds of hours of reading and posting here. I like to think that being on the AOD is as good a place as anywhere to hang out.

I'm disappointed to read a posting like this.

(No offence at all to you big_dog)

Well it is unfortunate, but I am just not comfortable with the post it and see if you get dinged. There are many issues that overlap and it is not clear to me how much is too much.
    For instance the law suite over the walruses. It relates to alaska outdoors, but there is significant political tones as well.

Remember the Cardinal Rule in Alaska: It's easier to seek forgiveness than permission. This rule can't be overstated.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast