Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why cant you spotlight hunt rabbits?

Default Why cant you spotlight hunt rabbits?

I have heard two different answers, yes and no. does "artificial light" on page 17 of the regs apply to "all game" or just big game, it's legal in other states. has anybody looked into this?

If they are classified as "furbearers" you can. I can't find their classification though....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I am not sure but I believe a rabbit is considered a game animal. Most rabbits are harvested for the meat and it is more than likely a matter of fair chase. The tree huggers would have a field day if you shot Thumper by spotlight....

Default Anyone know the answer?

Caused now I wanna know. Hunting rabbits with a spot light sounds like a blast. no pun intented.

IM in if it's legal.
    I hope it is caus eIm off the slope in 1 week and want some fresh rabbit stew.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Ok, just got off the phone with f&g. Under general hunting regulations, no spotlight for animal, even small game.

Now, if you are trapping, you can use artifical light at certain times and only at certain locations. Page 13 of trapping regulations.

So, looks like answer is nada. (unless you trap)

Soooo.....with a $15 trapping license.....spotlighting rabbits is legal in unit 14....hmmmm
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You know in all the time that I have predator hunted at night with a light I have never spotlighted a rabbit up here. I would imagine their eyes glow, but maybe not?

Default Still Confused

I May have answered my own question.page 13 of the trapping regs say "furbearers"may be taken from Nov 1-March 31st in units 7 and 9-26 with artificial light (i.e. a spotlight). However!!! page 5 of the trapping regs define "furbearers", and I dont see rabbits on the list, so I think its a big "NO" (how is a rabbit not a furbearer?)
    Spotlighting rabbits is very fun,did it in Idaho in the back of a pickup and a couple of shotguns and a case of beer, Id like to do the same in my Ranger. I need to get to the bottom of this.

Default prolly a big NO-GO

I have not verified with the troopers but I would say no cuz bunnies arent considered furbearers, they are small game. Even with the trappin license, you can only take furbearers with the spotlight, not small game.

I think they do it in the lower 48 mostly with Jack rabbits and thats probably because they are concidered varmints.

I read a post once where two guys took 200+ Jacks in one night and they werent even keep'n them.

Default not hijacking a thread but

the rabbits eyes will shine when the light hits them right. And you are right about the jack rabbits. We used to shoot them in Montana and sell them for jackalopes. Got 1.25 ea for them if not shot in the head. Best night was 200 and the best year we got enough money to pay our parents back for fuel and also buy my brother, my best friend and myself new 10/22 with scopes. Too bad you can't do it up here, rabbits in the light are really fun. I probably would leave the beer at home (something about guns and alcohol not to mention drinking and driving)

Default NO

Ripnlip is right on with this one. Can't do it. Know a couple guys in Kodiak that got caught doing it one night, the beer they had with them put them in bigger trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    (how is a rabbit not a furbearer?)
    The furbearer classification applies to animals that are taken primarily for their fur, not just because an animal has fur. If the latter were the case, moose would be furbearers as well. Rabbits are taken primarily for their meat, thus they are not furbearers.

Default selling bunnies..

just as an aside, rabbits are the only game animal you can take on a hunting license and sell... so maybe you could still get 1.25 for them..<grin>
    have heard some stories of hunting rabbits in the valley and then selling them door-to-door in anchorage.
    mind you this was in the seventies...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by EMoss#83 View Post
    Spotlighting rabbits is very fun,did it in Idaho in the back of a pickup and a couple of shotguns and a case of beer, Id like to do the same in my Ranger. I need to get to the bottom of this.

Dunno about the rules on spotlighting, but I am dern sure of how L.E. and most responsible outdoorsfolk would react to seeing some guys drinking beer while driving around in a truck AND shooting off firearms.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    just as an aside, rabbits are the only game animal you can take on a hunting license and sell... so maybe you could still get 1.25 for them..<grin>
    have heard some stories of hunting rabbits in the valley and then selling them door-to-door in anchorage.
    mind you this was in the seventies...
    you can sell rabbit meat??
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    Dunno about the rules on spotlighting, but I am dern sure of how L.E. and most responsible outdoorsfolk would react to seeing some guys drinking beer while driving around in a truck AND shooting off firearms.......

I haven't seen anything like this in SC Alaska. I saw quite a bit of it on POW island in SE Alaska. One group was driving around near Coffman Cove in a Unimog. I stopped and chatted with them. They were smoking pot and slamming beer like there was no tomorrow. They had 6 deer in the back. I guess their happy hour was productive.

Growing up in Georgia, it was called "Shining". The only things I ever "shined" was a few coyotes, lots of turtles, and a deer that was in my purple hull patch.

Sliders made good .22 practice when I was a kid.
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Talking

heard of some guys way back in 6 rivers forest in northern cal. one of them flipped an ATV back on himself and was seriously hurt. they couldn't get any cell or radio reception, so they started shining million candlepower spotlights at the hillsides.
    F&G was there in no time
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    heard of some guys way back in 6 rivers forest in northern cal. one of them flipped an ATV back on himself and was seriously hurt. they couldn't get any cell or radio reception, so they started shining million candlepower spotlights at the hillsides.
    F&G was there in no time
    Sounds like the Republic of Communist California. Who cares about some people needing help out there, but they better not harm the bunnies!

Andy

So does this mean you can use spotlight for fox and coyote

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast