Thread: A good Saw

Post A good Saw

I need some recomendations on a good crosscut saw. I have used them before and they are very handy for clearing trails and cutting firewood where a chainsaw can't be backpacked in because of weight. I will be mainly cutting dead and seasoned spruce and birch for a wall tent frame and firewood on my trapline. Thanks in advance for any advice/recomendations for a good quality saw.

Default Re: saw

I've use hand saws for 20 years in backpacking-fishing-hunting excursions. To the point where I never bring a hatchet. Tried them all, including bow saws, pull saws, wire saws, and even those small shark saws. The best saw yet is a very aggressive large toothed crosscut pruning saw. I've had one for fifteen years now. Sharpened many times and even rekerfed by eye with needle nose pliers. I actually saw a similar one on some gardening website. They are anywhere from 21"-24" long with a crescent shape. The teeth are 1/2" long in sets of four to five with a deep relief between those sets. The advantage of this style is it cuts fast and can go through large diameter logs, when neccesary. Don't be fooled by one of the smaller pruning saws that you see at every hardware store. I sent away for two of them last year for xmas gifts for buddies of mine. They were 55$ ea. or so.I'm not sure if the things even weigh a pound. With one of those and a small machete you're golden.

Default pruning saw

Heres a place that has them. try forestry-suppliers.com.