Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Climbing stand

Default Climbing stand

I was curious if anyone is using climbing stands for moose? I am thinking about getting one for next year. For those of you that use em any recommendations?

I can not recommend a climbing stand I think you would be better off with one you fasten steps to either the kind you strap on or screw in the pegs and climb up to.All the climders i have used where cumbersome they might have change over the years but if yer seriuos about it look into THE TREE LOUNGE they are really nice

I used a tree lounge in Oklahoma for whitetails and it was mucho comfortable. The climbing stands I've tried have been pretty comfortable too, but the tree lounge was in a class by itself.

I have a friend who uses climbing stands down on the Kenai penninsula and says they work great. I didn't think our trees were all that conducive to climbing stands due to branches and odd shaped trunks.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default I have one for spring

bear hunting. Many people have used it and no complaints. This year my dad decided we should have two out. He bought a ladder design one, 3 or 4 sections of ladders strap to the tree and then set the stand.

the climber is pretty easy. the ladder system was kinda retarded to set up. You end up haning on with arm trying to swing the stand in the air and hold it to the tree. Then get the strap secured around it.

The pegs would not be my first choice. You are cold and stiff trying to climb down in the dark, not for me anyways.

The climbers are pretty slick. You can change your position around the tree if the wind changes or u decide to have a better shooting lane in a different direction. The climber has slayed many bears! OH best yet, you are mobile. Pick a whole nother tree if u want at a different time.

I have a OL' MAN climbing tree stand and love. A lot of animals have been taken from it.

Default Tree Lounge

all the way. Check their website out, they run specials on and off all year. Very nice piece of equipment.

Default Depends where

I think it depends on where you hunt. We tried to use one for moose this year in our usual places and it was tough to find a tree with a trunk large enough to get the stand, let alone that was thick enough at a height you would want to climb to. Gotta take a look where you're going, and a field of alders might make it tough to climb.

Fuse

Default Location location location

Quote Originally Posted by Fuse View Post
    I think it depends on where you hunt. We tried to use one for moose this year in our usual places and it was tough to find a tree with a trunk large enough to get the stand, let alone that was thick enough at a height you would want to climb to. Gotta take a look where you're going, and a field of alders might make it tough to climb.
    Fuse
    Yes, if the location both environment-wise and game-trail-wise supports tree hunting, the tree lounge is the best I've seen; easiest, and safest. Change clothes in it, sleep in it, use the bow hunting addition to add a stand-up area; you can even get a light cheap roof with camo walls. Irregardless of all that, it is light weight and turns itself into a backpack, and has optional wheels to turn itself into a game cart too.

My only complaint is that they began shipping their tall-person's version the month after I bought mine, so I don't stretch out any better than in an airline seat (not bad for tree stand hunting).

API all star very comfortable and easy to use, carries like a back pack.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I was curious if anyone is using climbing stands for moose? I am thinking about getting one for next year. For those of you that use em any recommendations?
    LuJon
    I have a summit climbing tree stand; Iíve used this same stand for the last 7 years. Itís a little banged up now Ė but it still works.
    This set up is as basic as they get in fact I donít think they even offer this particular one anymore.

It is light weight, portable, and comfortable. Climbing a tree is very easy with this stand. The one thing I defiantly recommend is a harness; Iíve ďalmostĒ fallen out of mine several times.

One other thing, when bow hunting the seat handles can get in the way of my longbow limbs. But the nice thing about this stand is that you can swing the seat around to the back side of the tree (180 degrees away from you) then you will have a full range of movement.

My stand sort of looks like this one, but with less junk on the seat.
    http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=razor

Iíve also heard good things about APIÖ.

Good luck

Default stand

LuJon,
    I'm from Pa and use climbing stands all the time. Not sure how far you plan to walk back in carrying it but that is a big deal for me not wanting to lug a lot of weight. I also look for stands that are quiet and don't slip when climbing. I currently have a Loggy Lite stand with climbing aid and also a regular Loggy. Have used them for the past 10 years. Both are nice but occassionally will slip a little when climbing on wet smooth barked trees. My friend has been using a Lone Wolf stand the past 4 years and loves it. He use to use Loggy's but switched and said it was the best choice he ever made since it is lighter, quiter and never slips. If I were to buy a new one it would also be a Lone Wolf. I personally didn't care for Summits or Tree Lounges mainly for weight. But they were both fairly comfortable. This is just my opinion, but I would really consider the Lone Wolf. Good Luck.

I have a couple climbing stands that you could borrow to try out and see if you really want one. My first trip up a leaning birch tree sent me scurrying for a ladder stand. I MUCH prefer a strap on stand and climbing sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have a couple climbing stands that you could borrow to try out and see if you really want one. My first trip up a leaning birch tree sent me scurrying for a ladder stand. I MUCH prefer a strap on stand and climbing sticks.
    Thanks for the offer Doug!
    I hunt an old burn area but there are little pockets of live trees. I am marking potential stand locations this winter and I am planning on trying several in Aug. I just don't want to build permanent stands and would like to easily be able to move locations from one day to the next. It would seem that a climber would be the best option. I don't know that it will work to actually shoot from but it may be just the ticket to give me a vantage point to spot em.
    Thanks for the input guys!

i tried the climbers, was limited to the trees i could climb easily. i use the sticks and a hang on stand now. the 15' -20' sticks are about $60. takes only a few minutes to erect. i leave several sets of sticks or ladders up and move my stand as needed. works well for me.

I'm with pineridge. I can place climbing sticks and a hang-on stand faster than I can with a climber.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i bought two climbers a few years ago. i gave them to a buddy heading south and now have ladder stands, for one reason alone.. the trees in clear are not conducive to climbing on.. black spruce have to many branches, the birch are to small and popular are just dangerous all the way around you never know when they will snap under you... they just grow funny here. the ladders are a pain to move but as they are on my land i leave them up.. moose hunting is done at tree line so a stand would have to be a tri pod or other...

i do have one hanger on.. and use sticks for it. to travel with and it is not bad to use...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

If you're looking for comfort, the Summit's are good. If you're looking for portability, look at the Lone Wolf's

You definately get what you pay for with climbing stands. There are also compromises to make with whatever you get. My current choice is a Summit. The Lone Wolf is lighter, but not as comfortable in my opinion. I personally felt the Tree Lounge was very comfortable, but it was not any more secure or safe than my Summit, and I thought it was more bulky and awkard carrying.

Brent

Thumbs up differences

LuJon, sounds like you want to be mobile. If that's the case then climbers definetly. I use the tree lounge and it's SO comfy that if your not careful you WILL fall asleep. A little heavy, but WAY more relaxing to sit in. Just my 2cents. Have fun.........

Quote Originally Posted by Id.millwright View Post
    LuJon, sounds like you want to be mobile. If that's the case then climbers definetly. I use the tree lounge and it's SO comfy that if your not careful you WILL fall asleep. A little heavy, but WAY more relaxing to sit in. Just my 2cents. Have fun.........
    After looking them all over the tree lounge looks like it will do what I need the best. I will be riding the wheeler in and then just walking a short distance to get to any of the spots I have picked out. If I put up anything permanent the someone will be in it! My hunting partner have spent way too much time patterning these moose to advertise the prime ambush locations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast