Thread: Ak Hunting News: No 2006 Fall Kenai Brown Bear Hunting Season

Arrow Ak Hunting News: No 2006 Fall Kenai Brown Bear Hunting Season

This news clip is from Alaska Hunting News. Discussion is welcome, but these robot generated news threads are not monitored by the webmaster.

The brown bear registration hunt (RB160) scheduled for October 15-31 in GMU 7 & 15, will not open because the total human-caused mortality of brown bears is at the management limit. Human-caused mortality includes defense of life and property kills, automobile collisions, illegally taken brown bears, and hunter kills.

Read the entire ADFG news release (PDF format) here >>>

Read the individual article on Alaska Hunting News...

We welcome news tips that are useful to the community. Please send tips and links to complete stories by email to webmaster@outdoorsdirectory.com.

Yet again there will be no season, and once again I must say that based on my observations and those of other hunters/hikers/fishermen, ADF&G is far underestimating the population of brown bears on the Kenai Peninsula. Nowhere in the state do I see as many bears for the time I spend in the woods, and I'm not referring to the banks of salmon streams. It's a shame.

-Brian

Default the only place

i've seen more bears on outings is the seward peninsula; and that's most likely due to the open country up there for viewing. i've spent lots of time hiking backcountry kenai areas, and for sure the brown bears are waaayy up from what they were. i see them in places they were pretty much absent from before. i think F-G is afraid of a law suit from some wacked out bear lover group if they don't act super conservative regarding peninsula bears.

Default kenai brownies

Yeah, there are brownies everywhere down here now. Many are seen near houses. But from some of the posts on population dynamics I have read here it sounds like the limited and sporadic hunting they might allow would just INCREASE the population anyway. I guess a good thing about it is visitors from out of state dont need to fly to Mcneill anymore to see bears. I almost hit one last week running across the highway from Cooper Creek campground with a treasure from someones cooler. Sure makes camping more exciting!

Default Same Here

I've had many more encounters with with brownies on the pennisula than any other place in the state. I've had to abandon a once very productive bait site due to the encounters. On the other hand it has saved me a lot of dough. From not spending money on fuel tending bait sites to getting out of a trip with the wife to McNeil river so she can see bears. I just took her up to the russian river falls and she saw more bears than she wanted. Almost got to try out her bear spray too.

BR

Angry Confrontations

And the state wonders why there are so many human/bear interactions on the Peninsula. I think the state should be held accountable for the recent and numerous brown bear attacks around the Kenai/Russian. When was the last brown bear season in 7/15 that wasn't closed be emergency order?

Tim