Thread: unit 14 kgb

Default unit 14 kgb

is unit 14 down kgb near the prison closed to hunting with a 22 lr? if so can you even hunt out there? or is it all restricted.

hunting for grouse and hares

The prison has a fence around their property, but no problem hunting around the area (off their property). I've killed a lot of birds and bunnies out there. (lately been trying to tag something furry.....)
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

What apprx. area are y'all hunting down there? I went down by the Port this fall and didn't see much "bunny habitat". Am I in the wrong spot? Don't really know my way around down there very well.

Thanks,

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Watch out for private property, but there is quite a lot of huntable land. There are some extensive trail systems too. A lot of the land out there is thick spruce, if you find a stand of birch somewhere, you will find bunnies nearby. Best bet is just doing a lot of walking/scouting and find the tracks. I had several running around me while I was predator calling this last weekend out by the electric transmission lines. I guess they got a little uncomfortable hearing their brethren squeal the death squeal.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Cool. Thanks for the info Mud!

I don't really know my way around out there very well, I'm going to have to spend some time figuring this out. Do you need to go all the way down KGB to the road ( I forget the name) that goes to Pt. Mac. or do you just find a spot that isn't private prop. and go exploring?

Thanks again Mud!

Jon

Go down to Pt. Mack road (the one to the Little su landing), when you get to the stop sign by the snack shop, turn left (south). Go until you see the large electrical towers. There is a small parking lot just beyond where the wires cross the road. Park there and ride wheelers or snowmachines under the power lines. Much of the private property in that area is clearly posted so it isn't much of a problem. You should be able to find some bunnies/fox/coyote/grouse in the woodlines on either side of the easement.

A mile or two down the trail you will see the sign for the game refuge area boundary. I'm not sure if the easement is always open or if you have to wait for appropriate snow cover to run it. The refuge area is limited though.
    AKmud

Ohhh so it's a prefferred-snowmachine/wheeler trail?

Thanks for the info mud! I'll be doing my best to make it down there and give it a shot, good way to work some of that turkey weight off

Jon

If you are on foot, right around the parking lot would be a good place to start. We have had fox come right into the parking lot while unloading machines before .

Good luck!
    AKmud

Awesome

Thanks again for the info Mud, greatly appreciated!

Jon