Thread: need help reducing rifle weight

Default need help reducing rifle weight

Still in search of a new rifle and thought that maybe I could do something with one I already own.
    I have a Remington 700 BDL in 7MMUM. Standard 26 inch barrel.

What could I do to reduce the overall weight of this rifle and still maintain performance. I am looking for any advice or gunsmiths suggested to talk to??

How much could the barrel be cut down? Stock options, could metal be removed in certain places? Stuff like that

Thanks
    Jason

Fluted barrel? Reshape the stock? If you start cutting down the barrel, you will lose speed. If your stock is currently wood, a synthetic would be a fair amount lighter.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

RUM's should have a long barrel to shoot and burn powder efficiently. You want to loose weight some where else. A synthetic stock and flutting are your best bets, but flutting after the fact may not give you good results as it may change the stresses in your barrel.

Replace stock with Kevlar, graphite, and fiberglass with blind mag, aluminum trigger guard, depending on barrel contour - flute or replace, light weight rings, bases and scope should easily get you to about 7 lbs or less. Skeletonizing the action and bolt may be worth 6 to 8 oz. Good luck.

Default Weight

As the weight goes down the recoil will go up. This is a proportional ratio,i e: a 10% reduction could yeild a 10% increase in recoil.
    So, you would also need a plan to mitagate increased recoil; with out adding weight.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I did a couple of additional things to my customized 700 BDL (257 Weatherby with a 26" fluted barrel). In addition to the good ideas received thus far, swap-out the firing pin and firing pin assembly with a lightweight replacement...it does makes a difference. Also, there are lightweight bases and rings that you can get which are durable and secure as long as you aren't changing out scopes often.

You can have the barrel fluted, the bolt fluted, the bolt handle milled out, go with McMillan edge stock, and that should drop the weight right down there. Then again, you would be $'s and pounds ahead to sell the rifle and get a Kimber montanna in 7 wsm. Real world performance on game will be the same, and you'll have a nice light rifle.

....or a Tikka T-3 Lite - spend the saved $ on better glass.

Shphtr hit it on the nose!