Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh what a day!

Default Oh what a day!

I was up north checking our sets. I was toodling along, without a care in the world. I was following my trail, and to be honest wasn't paying attention to where I was going. I knew I had about 15 more feet to go before I start checking snares.....enjoying the day, the sun and just "thinking".

Just as I looked up, (now 10 feet from our pile of guts) .....something had popped its head up from behind the pile of duff (just before he popped up I realized that the duff was something new), it dawned on me that I was face to face with a 7ft? Grizz. I backed out as quickly as I could, watching him the whole time, knowing I was armed with nothing more than my .22 strapped across my chest. I guess he/she thought I was just as scary, I have never seen a bear move that fast (in the opposite direction, thank goodness!)
    As you can see, it has everything destroyed, dug up and buried. I would have to say that this is the second scariest thing I have come across on the trap line. Yep guys, the bears are still out! haha.....These are just some photos of his paw prints and what he did to the set. Sorry for the poor quality of the photos!

That'll be the last time I walk into anything without my rifle!

"In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

sounds like a hair raising encounter, but what did you catch today.....please share.

Nothing more than a cold trapper dude...
    It was certainly a lesson learned! And I know better! I couldnt even get the story to come out right, Still pretty....shook up? Ha!
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

guess thats why they call it traping, not catching.

If it was easy I'd loose interest, so its a good thing it keeps me guessing

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

well if your not going to carry a rifle.. at least clean shorts.....Hunt the bear knows its there and will be back... make sure you have a tag as well... if the season is good wait it out.. if not go around the spot for awhile no sense in forcing the situation...and if you miss it this year it will be back next a grizz never forgets where they found a meal and will come back at the same time the following year to see if another is avalible...

good luck have fun carry clean tidies...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Grizzly Sill Out ?

WOW , i guess so !!! I think i would have been startled too ! Not the type of surprise you read about often . WOW ! There was just a survey on bears in the hunting forum sector . Are you talking about the BROOKS RANGE or some place else ? Thanks

Thanks Vince! I knew I could count on you! HAHA! I do plan on hunting it now (when I have time), I'm trading my 22.250 in for my 30.06, at least in that area. I doubt we'll even attempt to set it all back up because of this, we may even just move the set and let the bear have the rest.

Ultramag, thats what I was thinking, and a small bear still out? Im sure its not unheard of, but WOW, what a surprise....I knew it was around there we had seen its tracks during the fall after the first snow fall, but I had no idea it would still be up and around.

Lets just say this was somewhere north of Willow and south of Trapper Creek....

Glad you got out of a potentially bad situation. It sounds like one of those moments that makes you feel alive!

The way he ran off probably says that he was on his way to denning and happened on your set. However I'd be prepared next time. ( did'nt we just have this subject on the trapping forum about the 22 thing in Nov.)

Default 2nd scariest moment out trapping

Hey Huntress , , , was your 1st scariest moment a 8 foot grizzly ? Just a bit of humor . Im very happy to hear you got out of a enormous deadly situation .

LuJon,

It was certainly eye opening! I always thought I was so prepared, but today proved me wrong. It'll probably run threw my mind for awhile, as to what I could have done differently. You bet, I don't care what time of year it is, as long as I'm checking traps solo I'm taking something bigger than my .22, I did have my 22.250 but it was back on the 4 wheeler!
    Now that we know hes there we'll try to hunt him, if I don't become the hunted!

whew! Good thing you finally paid attention....guess your not all blonde

Nope, not ALL blonde, I now have a few grey hairs....

Thanks for peeking everyone,

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    whew! Good thing you finally paid attention....guess your not all blonde

Just a different angle of the whole he dug, and my size 9 Sorel next to his print. My husband thought I was stupid for hanging around, but I just had to document this! I did however have my 22.250 with me at this point.

Wow, glad you are ok. Bet you got a big ol' dose of adrenaline.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

All I can say is WOW! You are very lucky that bear didn't come on you. I can remember two different instances as a kid, walking into a wolf bait set with my dad and having a bear in a snare. One was a black and one a Grizz, both made you stand up and pay attention. I'm very happy you made it home safely.

Ted
    Pass it on, take a child hunting, fishing or trapping.

Get a bear tag and go shoot the bear. I'll back you up!

Deb, did the grizz get caught at all in the snare prior to your arrival? Scary deal. I carry my revolver in a pack in my sled but I'd never likely get to it in time on a situation like that. I don't know if I'd even be able to stop the dogs once they smelled it, one of my worst nightmares, especially if it was caught in a wolf trap.

Glad you are okay.

Hi Mark,

Nope, he just knocked over two snares, one going in, and one going out. The others were fine. I loaded up the 4 wheeler again this morning and went back up loaded with a 30.06 and a .357, Hubby and I had talked about the .44 but we don't think I could shoot it and then recover to shoot it again. Hubby has all the big guns, I guess its time for me to invest in a girly bear protection gun.
    He had not been back into that set, however, he did visit another set sometime during the snow last night, eating the bait, setting off the foot holds. He had hung around a bit eating his dinner, left part of it behind and left. I was rather upset at first thinking someone else had been in there, but there was hair left behind

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast