Thread: Opinions on Mini 30

Default Opinions on Mini 30

What do you guys think of the Ruger Mini-30? I have one semi-auto 7.62x39 and would like another. I'd like to keep it simply regarding buying ammo; one bullet for both guns. There seem to be a plethora of AK knockoffs out there so I'm wondering if a mini 30 would be a worthy second 7.62. I've heard some of the aftermarket mags don't work that well. How well does it shoot? Are they smooth operators, or do they jam (regarding the action)?

For the price, should I consider a different model 7.62x39? Any other recommendations for a second 7.62x39?

Tim

I dont know much about the mini's but as for another 762, I have been reading that the saiga's make a great line of firearms. The only draw back is, with the saiga its needs a little filing to get other AK mags to fit.

I am looking at the 308 version right now

Yea, I've got a 7.62x39 Saiga. I guess I haven't ruled out a Saiga 308. They have a few of both calibers at Ammo King $445 for the x39 and like $600 for the 308.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Yea, I've got a 7.62x39 Saiga. I guess I haven't ruled out a Saiga 308. They have a few of both calibers at Ammo King $445 for the x39 and like $600 for the 308.

Tim

I was at gun runners and they had some Russian 39 for 269, had about 10ish cases left...

Get one of these and call it a day.

Wow, that's a monster! I've never seen one of those before.

Thanks for the tip on 7.62.

Tim

Biggest drawback to the Mini-30 compared to an AK or AR is availabllity of hi-cap mags...never produced by the factory and not that many reliable aftermarket choices available.

I have seen four or five guys with Mini-30s at the range and they all seem to be rather inaccurate. I was lead to believe this was because they used some sort of tappered bore in case someone was using 308 caliber bullets like the original US made 7.62 x 39 ammo. Which was junk...

Maybe they no longer do that and all the owners were just horrible shooters.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by nategr View Post
    Get one of these and call it a day.

Oh, MAN! I like that!

I've owne a couple of Mini 30s over the years and they ALL shot like crap. I think the ones I had were .308 not .311 like the 7.62x39.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Its getting more and more tempting. I read an article the other night about it, gonna have to go over the recoil part once again Before the election they could be had for under 1200.

Default Mini 30

One word, CRAP. More of a spray and pray weapon. I agree there are no good hicap mags available. I'd even choose a sks before a Mini 30.

Quote Originally Posted by akspecialus View Post
    One word, CRAP. More of a spray and pray weapon. I agree there are no good hicap mags available. I'd even choose a sks before a Mini 30.
    I loved my SKS but I hated the fact you couldn't easily switch magazines. Guess I haven't ruled out getting another though. I haven't seen many AK's around lately either. I only looked at Gun Traders and Great Northern. Haven't tried Gun Runners or Northern Securities. 308 Saiga would be good too; doesn't shoot the same ammo though.

Tim

I loved my SKS but I hated the fact you couldn't easily switch magazines. Guess I haven't ruled out getting another though. I haven't seen many AK's around lately either. I only looked at Gun Traders and Great Northern. Haven't tried Gun Runners or Northern Securities. 308 Saiga would be good too; doesn't shoot the same ammo though.

Tim

Runners had the saiga 308 for 599, both the short and long barrel. I think they have a few aks as well. Ammo Can had an AK.

I went to 762 precision, he has his business out of his house, but he isnt gouging like some of the others. He sold an Olympic Arms AR NIB for 675 last week. If you cant find something try him out, I think he is legit and will cut you a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by nategr View Post
    Ammo Can had an AK.
    Where is Ammo Can?

Tim

Where is Ammo Can?

Tim

Spenard and Benson, right next to the pawn shop...

Tim
    I have one sks and love to shoot it, my kids favorite gun after the AR. I know the magazines are a pain and will never be as fast as AR's change over but the 30 rounders work though they take about three times as long to change as an AR. They are just cheap plinkers that always go bang.