Thread: Illuminated Reticle?

Default Illuminated Reticle?

So I continue to be in a quandry about which scope I want topping my new rifle.

I'm basically looking for a tactical scope with 3.5-10, 4-14, etc. with ~40-44mm objective. There are BUNCH of options from bushnell/burris/others who I've been looking at but the illuminated reticle is something I'm questioning. I think it would be a neat thing to have for low-light situations hunting varmints and whatnot, but wanted to hear some first-hand experience with it.

Trying to find a tactical scope with an illuminated reticle in a decent variable power for a decent price is proving somewhat difficult, but I wanted to figure this out first...

Go hit up Mike C.......I'm sure he has something perfect in his Swarovski catalog!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

You had to add in that reasonable price thing Just keep your eyes out on various auction sights, including fleabay. I got a leupold VX-III 3.5-10X40 w/ mildot reticle and target turrets for ~$450 last year. No, not the iluminated reticle version, but overall I'm quite happy with the scope.

I just can't like any device on a gun that requires batteries, though I have not doubt the iluminated reticles have a benefit in some situations.

Yeah, and I'm sure my wife will "hit me up" once I drop that many benjis!! Love the glass, but dont wanna afford it. Buddy of mine just bought a $14xx NightForce and he said "Come on over and check it out". I told him I didn't even want to be near it

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You had to add in that reasonable price thing
    I just can't like any device on a gun that requires batteries, though I have not doubt the iluminated reticles have a benefit in some situations.
    Reasonable price...translation.....I want to spend ~600 or less. There are plenty of options out there to be had for my price range, but I'm kinda getting hung up on the whole lighted thing. I know Bushnell has the firefly reticle, but I dont know how long that sucker will last once you shine your flashlight on it. I dont want to be sitting there shining on it every two minutes.

As far as the batteries go, I dont forsee it being a big deal. If I was in the military in life/death situations, then yea, but if I happen to leave it turned on and it goes dead, then all it boils down to is....bummer....

I have looked at quite a few and I want the trijicon accupoint with milldot but my budget is more in line with a bushnell 3200 firefly from all reports I have read on it the glow lasts for several hours.

I have had a Nightforce with an illuminated reticle on a ~ 300 RUM for several years and am yet to utilize it - ? really needed ?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I have looked at quite a few and I want the trijicon accupoint with milldot but my budget is more in line with a bushnell 3200 firefly from all reports I have read on it the glow lasts for several hours.
    LuJon, wow if the firefly last several hours off of one "brightening", that may be the way to travel. I realize it is still mostly a gimmick, but still cool nonetheless.

Well, I took the plunge. Burris XTR tactical 3-12x50mm. Dont know how I'm going to like the 50mm objective, may be too big......Nonetheless, I'm excited to get her mounted and start shooting!!

I don't mean to offen but I have a question.

Are illuminated recticles legal for hunting in alaska?

Default legal?

YES. They are legal.