Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to tow a cargo sled?

Default How to tow a cargo sled?

I need to tow a cargo sled behind my machine ('99 Polaris Classic Touring) for a future moose hunt. I have one of the typical black plastic tow behind sleds, but I need some type of mount for the machine and the sled. What is out there?

there is a good tow bar for the "otter" sleds that S/W sells. The jet sled tow bar is useless! As far as your popo you will need to do some research and I highly recommend buying a REAL hitch! Not one of the cheap "bumper hitches".

Polaris makes a nice receiver hitch but their online catalog only goes back to 2000... A quick trip to your dealer and about $120 should have you in business if you do the install yourself. If they make a kit that includes tunnel stiffeners it is probably worth the added expense!

Default Towing

Previous post has it right..spend the money and get something solid..tried being frugal last year and my bargain created headaches once an animal is in the sled and bumping down the trail..the basic sled was fine but the bars tweaked..

when empty the cheapos give a false sense of it'll do...

While you guys are on this subject and not to high jack the thread, and if'n I am just slap me around a bit.

I have one of the larger Otter Sleds, the tow bar that comes with them, but man I can't figure out how to hook it up to my J Hook?

I got a replacment at Fish Creek but it wasn't long enough to fit the current bracket on the tow bar, and I'm not extremely mechinicaly inclined.

Any advice? I'm thinking of removing the current spring loaded hook up and replacing it with a big eye bolt from AIH (With springs also.)

Am I on track here or off my rocker? I have searched the internet to no end trying to figure it out, but beyond changing my hitch to a flapper (Which I don't want to do), I can't find anything.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post
    While you guys are on this subject and not to high jack the thread, and if'n I am just slap me around a bit.

I have one of the larger Otter Sleds, the tow bar that comes with them, but man I can't figure out how to hook it up to my J Hook?

I got a replacment at Fish Creek but it wasn't long enough to fit the current bracket on the tow bar, and I'm not extremely mechinicaly inclined.

Any advice? I'm thinking of removing the current spring loaded hook up and replacing it with a big eye bolt from AIH (With springs also.)

Am I on track here or off my rocker? I have searched the internet to no end trying to figure it out, but beyond changing my hitch to a flapper (Which I don't want to do), I can't find anything.

Thanks,

We ran into this problem getting ready to go up to Delta this past weekend for my buddy's cow permit. I also have a large otter sled. I have the flapper hitch on my sled so it connects with the standard otter hitch w/o a problem. However, my buddy had his old man's polaris widetrack and we'd much rather tow a moose with that than my short track go fast sled. Same thing, only a J-hook on the widetrack. What we came up with was using a simple steel ring that we bought at AIH for like $5 and put one side in the J-Hook and the other side connected to the sled hitch pin.

I have no doubt there is probably a better system, but we were on our way outta town and needed a quick fix and it worked like a charm even with a cow moose in the sled.

smallmonzter, I believe I have a brand new hitch for your sled at home that I'm trying to get rid of. I get home today and I'll shoot you the info if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by WaterWolf View Post

Thanks,
    I have seen this often. Usually the best fix is to use a Clevis. It is a roundish piece of steel, with a threaded fastener. Put it on the sled and it will serve double duty, depending on which application is needed. I carry extras, because you never know when you will have to tow someone elsed sled or they will have to tow yours.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks fellas, I'm looking at these clevis's and can't quite figure out the hook up method, but there is one called a twist clevis that might be just what I'm looking for. I'll do a little bit of research on them and see what I come up with.

Thanks,

4 Weeks back I went down to Sportsmans Warehouse and picked up a Team Wild medium sized sled and the stock Bars, Highfax Kit, etc... Took my 02 RMK 800 to the local performance shop and had the stock Polaris hitch installed. Loaded the sled up with about 200lbs and headed out to the white mountains with the family. I was using a standard hitch pin and had 1 spare. The hitch pin failed at mile 3 and was obviously bending up the reciever portion of the hitch/bars that come with the sled. I ended up completing the 40 mile trip but ran out of hitch pins and were reduced to using carabiners and climbing rope. Surprisingly it actually worked better.

I think the majority of my problem is that the tow bars/hitch that come with the sled aren't long enough. Consequently when my machine goes over bumps it kinda lifts and drags the sled up and over putting a ton of weight on the hitch itself.

I was planning on taking the tow bars over to the local welding shop and having them extend them 16" to 24". Has anyone else had this problem? And if so how did you solve it? The other thing I find odd is that the Stock Polaris hitch rotates 360 degrees and the flap is attached to a angled piece of steel. This fast free rotating flap has no resistance doesn't allow the springs on the tow bars to function.

On the otter sled the best pin I have found is the 1/2" class III receiver hitch pin.
    This is similar to the one I use:

The pin fits perfectly in the 1/2" flapper hitch and it is easy to pull out if you need to get your rig turned around in a tight section.

Default Polaris hitches...

are garbage. Buy an after market one. My dad has a polaris hitch on his trail rmk and the pintle "ripped" right off the pin! I've had other friends that this has happened to and the pin would break, etc.

I personally don't like rotating hitches. I would recommend a solid pintle. Best thing for a sled is the either buy or have someone build a hitch that is solid. If you are going to use the sled a lot of with heavy loads, you will want one.

Default Ideas for Polaris owners or others

I too bought a factory hitch for my 05 Polaris RMK. It broke the first time out, I was warned it was a weak POS, and it is! For starters the metal is toooo thin. Second, the angle between the snogo reciever and the pull sled is too steep on these type of machines with lot's of rear travel and it will bind (break) when you go through dips and ditches.

I took a piece of 3/16 angle iron and welded it to the existing hitch to reinforce it and to provide a flat face to attach 2 pieces of 1/4" flat stock for the hitch pin keepers. This is a similar system we use on 4 wheelers and believe me it works. With this system, there is no angle to steep to cause binding and there is enough play too side to side that you can back-up and the pull sled can crank over 90 degrees from the machine. Hope that makes sense, the pics should help.

I built my own flapper hitch for my pull sled. I used a 12" long bolt, welded some flat stock to it and made the "female" end of the flapper. Then I cut 2 pieces of 1/4" UHMW, bolted it to the flapper, drilled an oversized hole in the other end which connects to the snogo with a 1/2" hitch pin. I used 2 pieces of 1/4" only because I didn't have any 1/2" thick UHMW to use. UHMW is tougher than sheeeet, this is also what we connect our wheeler trailers to our wheelers with and they take serious abuse - never failed.

Note, I also bolted my rear bumper to the receiver hitch with a U-bolt for added vertical support. I need to add another U-bolt to the other side - only had 1 on hand at the time. I believe this to be a pretty bombproof system. I hauled out a caribou on the Steese hunt with no problems and don't anticipate any now. Hope this helps.

Default oops

forgot the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics

a few more pics

Default pics

hope these help someone out

Default J- hook for sale

Incidentally, I now have a used once Polaris J-Hook I can sell to someone. New is $50, will sell for $25 in FBKS.

http://www.polaris-website.com/Polar..._J_Hitch-.html

Default Where did you get...

... the nifty red handle?

Default Easy Made Flapper Hitch

Posted in J-Hook/Otter Sled- Works for what I use it for but not near as nice as Jpost's set up...

Quote Originally Posted by smallmonzter View Post
    I need to tow a cargo sled behind my machine ('99 Polaris Classic Touring) for a future moose hunt. I have one of the typical black plastic tow behind sleds, but I need some type of mount for the machine and the sled. What is out there?
    The best route for installing a hitch is usually to get a model-specific hitch kit from your dealer. You may choose to reinforce it but it's usually the easiest starting point. Polaris wimpy'd up their hitches on the Edge models but your sled's hitch kit should work fine. The Edge hitches don't fail on the machine, the removable rotating part is the weak link, and that's a really simple problem to fix.

Default red hitch pin

sayak: I got the hitch pin at AIH for about $5. I added a chain for the cotter pin and p-cord to ensure the hitch pin isn't lost.

My Polaris factory reciever hitch actually DID come apart on the first ride out. The round reciever pipe started "tearing" off of the reciever. It was due to steep angles and a different style hitch I was using which caused it to bind. Partly my fault and but mostly due to the Polaris reciever being WEAK!

I forgot to mention, the beauty of the type of hitch on my pull sled is that it can be used on J hook or pintle style recievers, recievers such as I built, or simply unbolt the piece of UHMW and use it in a flapper style hitch. It should cover most applications in case you ever have to pull a friends sled out of the hills.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast