Thread: Fairbanks burbot ...need advice

Default Fairbanks burbot ...need advice

Hey,

Have auger, have hatchet, XC skis, and have nothing else ...including knowledge/experience and no snow machine, no 4-wheeler.

If someone wants to tell me what I need to buy and how to use it, that'd be great. If someone wants to tell me where to go (haha), that'd be super great and ...I can keep a secret, so PM'ing is fine. If someone wants to join up and go (FBX region), then let's do it. I have a hankering to get some burbot and we're staring a 4-day weekend in the face... And allll my chores are caught up!

Thanks,
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Hey,

Have auger, have hatchet, XC skis, and have nothing else ...including knowledge/experience and no snow machine, no 4-wheeler.

If someone wants to tell me what I need to buy and how to use it, that'd be great. If someone wants to tell me where to go (haha), that'd be super great and ...I can keep a secret, so PM'ing is fine. If someone wants to join up and go (FBX region), then let's do it. I have a hankering to get some burbot and we're staring a 4-day weekend in the face... And allll my chores are caught up!

Thanks,
    Brian
    I have never personally ice fished for burbot, but I hear that you can catch them at any spot where a clear water tributary enters the Tanana. Moose Creek, Piledriver Slough, Shaw Creek, etc...
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Default No Secret Agent

Like Growden says...Try Shaw Creek area or Moose Creek
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

If you are going threw Salcha turn on Boondox Drive then drive to the end of the road. The land belongs to the Fairbanks North Star BO. You can fish up and down the bank look for curves and bends in the Tanana River. There used to be plenty of fish in the different holes. There are also Burbot in Harding Lake. I used to fish it years ago. Most of the fish where down about 100 ft. Good Luck

Thanks, All. Looks like there are several locations that I can get started with. But what about gear and technique? What do I need? Is this a deal where you set things up and come back later like with catfish, or do you jig, or put bait on the bottom and stay and watch? Use one of those tip-up rigs?

thx,
    Brian

Hey Brian - I've been dying for some burbot fishing for three winters now and just haven't been able to put much time in (same no snowmachine etc issues!)

I did get out once last winter to the mouth of the chena and had a great time - managed to jig one (big curly tail glow in the dark mr. twister on a leadhead jig with a little piece of bait) and I also got one on a set-line at the same time. It just made me want to go more!

I have a few set lines I made using trot line clips, big weights, and some rope attached to a dowel...seemed to work great on the one I caught, but they'd probably be a frozen mess if I left them overnight - I think the spruce pole concept probably works better for that and less headache if someone steals it (which unfortunately sounds like that problem is getting more and more common)

Really I had a blast jiggnig for them and would love to do more of that.

Quote Originally Posted by akjw7 View Post
    Hey Brian - I've been dying for some burbot fishing for three winters now and just haven't been able to put much time in (same no snowmachine etc issues!)

I did get out once last winter to the mouth of the chena and had a great time - managed to jig one (big curly tail glow in the dark mr. twister on a leadhead jig with a little piece of bait) and I also got one on a set-line at the same time. It just made me want to go more!

I have a few set lines I made using trot line clips, big weights, and some rope attached to a dowel...seemed to work great on the one I caught, but they'd probably be a frozen mess if I left them overnight - I think the spruce pole concept probably works better for that and less headache if someone steals it (which unfortunately sounds like that problem is getting more and more common)

Really I had a blast jiggnig for them and would love to do more of that.
    Are you saying you want to go sometime? I want to try to get out this weekend, probably on Saturday. T-day is shot as you'd expect (I'm the head cook), and although I have Friday off, my wife is working. I could drag the kids along (8 yrs old, 10 yrs old) but they may not last as long on the ice. Saturday is a day that I can disappear from the fam and do my thing. Sunday's busy.

Brian

PS: If nothing else, I'll pick a spot or two and try jigging ...

definitely some time - but like you, this weekend is kind of shot with family stuff. I'll drop you a pm and maybe we can chase some burbot sometime soon.

Sounds good. Hey, I looked at rods on the way home and they seemed pretty wimpy (Fred Meyer) ...how stiff should a rod be for average ice fishing? I'm leaning towards stiffer rather than wimpier, but who knows? And I've read 10# to 20# line ...I'd probably round down on that one because the reels are so tiny as it is. But of course, who's casting? Anyone?

Also, do people use tip-ups overnight? Or do they get ripped off? What's the best way to set up a set line?

Brian

Sounds good. Hey, I looked at rods on the way home and they seemed pretty wimpy (Fred Meyer) ...how stiff should a rod be for average ice fishing? I'm leaning towards stiffer rather than wimpier, but who knows? And I've read 10# to 20# line ...I'd probably round down on that one because the reels are so tiny as it is. But of course, who's casting? Anyone?

Also, do people use tip-ups overnight? Or do they get ripped off? What's the best way to set up a set line?

Brian
    Don't go with too stiff of a rod. You'd be surprised what you can get on a small rod. It's also much more fun to fight a fish on a smaller rod. What do you plan fish for? I have 8 ice fishing rods, so I'm fairly flexible.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Brian have you seen the fish and game publications on burbot? They've got one on cleaning that i think you have to go in for and then they have one you should be able to google that descirbes set lines really well. (found the latter here http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio.../bbicefish.pdf )

I made up a few of the trot line clip style set lines with some wooden dowels and nylon rope I had around. Seem to work ok. Haven't used a tip up. Oh and I used circle hooks - just triple check the gap so you're legal!

I really think the spruce pole method is probably easier for overnight sets...I accidentally cut through my rope on one set with a spud while trying to chip it out.

Also have seen some guys cut out pieces of blue-board to insulate the hole and make it easier to check sets.

I agree with pike-palace, you will probably have more fun with a light rod, but really either is probably fine. I have some of those flimsy rods and put 15# or maybe it's 20# braided line on there...plenty of line even on the tiny reel. Plus it doesn't stretch like mono so you can feel light strikes really well.

Thanks. I saved and printed the article on set lines. So, why do you think the spruce pole method would be better? Just curious...

Brian

why do you think the spruce pole method would be better? Just curious...

Brian
    I think the spruce pole method would be easier when it comes time to chip it out of the ice after leaving it out over night.

All the set that I used to do where made from nylon cord, heavy weight, and a hook with a 3/4" gap. I never used a fishing pole and all my sets where the over night type. My line was wrap around a piece of plywood may be 6" wide by 1 ft long. I used a power auger to drill the holes and herring for bait. Once I drilled the holes and dropped my line in the water I would pull up the slack and place the board over the hole. I would then place a small piece of plastic over the board and then I would cover it with about 2 ft of snow in a mount type shape. If I remember right the board had my name, phone number on it. I never had a hole freeze shut or lost a line.

Man you guys would be in heaven here in MN! we get burbot when fishing walleyes on the big lakes. Many times 20-30 a day if you are on them. Down here they taste like mud and they are just pitched on the ice for the eagles and crows to eat. I have eaten them many times and many different ways and all are bad news. they truly taste like crap down here.

kgpcr - it wouldn't quite be heaven then, because here they are flat out good eating!

AK no doubt up there they are great eating or nobody would be fishing them and there would not be a limit on them. I would really like to try one from up there. I have a buddy in Anchorage that tells me they are nothing like the ones down here! I would love to see a picture of one so i could see if they look any different.