Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Pistol Ranges in Anchorage Area

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Pistol Ranges in Anchorage Area

    This is my first post here on the forums -- anyway, I've just relocated to Anchorage after getting out of the military. I'm interested in locating a range or shooting club that has facilities and regulations that allow working on drawing from the holster, shooting and moving, and other basic IPSC kind of drills (a place that does IPSC competitions would be good too). The only local range I'm currently aware of is Rabbit Creek, and I don't know what their limitations are on working on drawing and such.

    Thanks for any information.

  2. #2
    Member akhunter3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    824

    Default

    Welcome to the forums!

    I know Rabbit Creek doesn't really, shall we say, promote, drawing from the holster. Someone can correct me here if I'm wrong.

    I think Birchwood Shooting Park will allow you to draw from the holster? (Again, not sure. Much better chance here than RC) Might want to give them a call and ask. www.brspclub.com/


    Other than that, I believe the indoor range in Palmer has IPSC shoots. Sorry, don't remember the exact name for the place.


    Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

  3. #3

    Default

    Matanuska Valley Sportsmans is the name of the indoor range near Palmer.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Chugiak
    Posts
    47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

    I think Birchwood Shooting Park will allow you to draw from the holster? (Again, not sure. Much better chance here than RC) Might want to give them a call and ask. www.brspclub.com/

    Jon
    Never had a problem, have done this on several occasions at BSR. I do only do this when I have the hole range to myself also. If others want to shoot on the same range, I discontinue my scenerios and shoot from behind the line with them(just being condierate so everyone has fun)

  5. #5

    Default

    Matanuska Valley sportsmen at Mile 38,5 Glenn highway has IPSC, IDPA, Cowboy Action, Bullseye pistol competitions. Also an indoor smallbore league Winter hours for general shooting are 6 to 9 pm on mon and weds, Noon to 9 on friday and 4 til 9 pm on sat and sunday. Phone 746 4862.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    505

    Default Ranges

    Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    This is my first post here on the forums -- anyway, I've just relocated to Anchorage after getting out of the military. I'm interested in locating a range or shooting club that has facilities and regulations that allow working on drawing from the holster, shooting and moving, and other basic IPSC kind of drills (a place that does IPSC competitions would be good too). The only local range I'm currently aware of is Rabbit Creek, and I don't know what their limitations are on working on drawing and such.

    Thanks for any information.
    Rabbit Creek is operated (owned?) by the State of Alaska and is VERY safety conscious and concerned about the neighborhood. No sustained rapid fire, no magazines loaded with more than 10 rounds etc. Many feel they are overly restrictive, but others call it simply prudent for a State operated facility.

    They do allow classes, and with proper supervision probably would allow some waiving of the rules, particularly if certified instructors in formal training clases were involved but that is not what you were seeking, I think.

    Birchwood Range Shooting Park (688-2809, Managers,Dave & Janice Cross) allows shooters to police themselves with a great deal more autonomy.

    I am a member at Birchwood and make the drive from Anchorage (I live a LOT closer to Rabbit Creek) for the extra convenience even though Rabbit Creek has a more comfortable office where you can get warm. Cost at either is about the same ($10 per day if I remember correctly) but membership at Birchwood (vs Annual Pass at Rabbit Creek) allows extended hours.

    I suggest you take $20 and shoot Saturday at one range and Sunday at the other and decide for yourself. I would invite you to join me at Birchwood, but this weekend is too busy and it has been too darn cold to really enjoy myself anyway.

    Other ranges, I know nothing about.

    Welcome to Anchorage and to the forum. Good shooting.

    Lost Sheep
    Last edited by Lost Sheep; 11-27-2008 at 02:06. Reason: spelling

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the information.

    I'll definitely see if I can't give Rabbit Creek and Birchwood Range a try.

  8. #8
    Member .338-06's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,045

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost Sheep View Post

    I am a member at Birchwood and make the drive from Anchorage (I live a LOT closer to Rabbit Creek) for the extra convenience even though Rabbit Creek has a more comfortable office where you can get warm. Cost at either is about the same ($10 per day if I remember correctly) but membership at Birchwood (vs Annual Pass at Rabbit Creek) allows extended hours.
    Larry is correct in his post, but the annual pass at Rabbit Creek is only $75. I believe that the Birchwood pass is twice that, but you get to shoot pretty much whenever you want during daylight, though I might be wrong on that.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    505

    Default Membership fees

    Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Larry is correct in his post, but the annual pass at Rabbit Creek is only $75. I believe that the Birchwood pass is twice that, but you get to shoot pretty much whenever you want during daylight, though I might be wrong on that.
    Annual membership at Birchwood is $175 and that allows you to shoot past regular hours (but you will have to bring your own target holders).

    I thought the annual fee at Rabbit Creek was also the same. I guess I dropped the first digit from my memory.

    Thanks for the update.

    Lost Sheep

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •